Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – I got called by BCG for an opportunity to work with BCG in Dubai. I was interested in it and they asked me to apply online and then I got called for an interview in Chicago. I had two case interviews. In the first one I was presented with information and I had to analyze it and reach a conclusion. The second interview, although case-based, was more of behavioral and stress testing since the interviewer was intimadting me to see my reaction. The BCG staff was very friendly and professional.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through college website for an internship and got an interview offer. Was called to their offices for in person interviews. Had two 30 minute interviews, back to back with two consultants. One was a very typical tell me about yourself, your weaknesses , strengths, why BCG interview and the next was a 30 minute case interview with lots of graphs and charts. I fumbled in one of them and did not get a call back, but the process was very smooth and the people were extremely courteous.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – Got an interview call through a partner at the firm.

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2010.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews via campus recruiting. First round on campus and second round at the office. In general everyone was very friendly. First round cases were a bit easier and involved some heavy analysis of graphs. Second round interviewers seemed a bit rushed and less focused on answering questions. Took more of a high level approach to problems. Great company, tough cases.

Interview Question – Please analyze this graph of experience-based learning   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – It was an interview on campus and there were 2 case studies, 45 mins/ ea. They asked me to analysis the business of a coffee shop providing the background of the market as well as the details of the shop and give a solution after the calculation. The following case study interview is given by a guy who had been in BCG for 1 year. We chatted a little bit football (he is from Europe) and finished the case. It went very smoothly. The second interview was easier for me. Whether or not the recruiter led you in the case analysis is important.

Interview Question – Some details you may ignore in the case study   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – First round interview in Chicago. Second round interview in DC. The recruiting staff does a good job ensuring that the trips and office visits are pleasant and go smoothly.

5 interviews total between the 2 rounds. Each interview was 1 on 1 for about 45min and consisted of 10min of fit questions about leadership, teamwork, and interest in consulting followed by 30min of a business case and ending with time for me to ask questions. In each case interview the interviewers defaulted to having me pick which parts of my framework to investigate, but they intervened for the sake of time if I went too far off track or made serious math mistakes.

First round interviews consisted of 2 interviews by current Consultants. Both were friendly. One was open and easy to read, the other was not. Both cases were pretty straightforward, with a problem statement, a question about how to proceed, analysis of charts, some calculations, and recommendations. At the end they gave some good insights into the job and lifestyle when I asked.

Second round interviews consisted of 3 interviews by current Partners. The partners definitely came across as having high standards but were friendly, professional, and pretty easy to read. The business cases they used each seemed to be pet cases that were relevant to their own experience and that they'd used many times before. Two of these cases put extra emphasis on brainstorming and hypothesizing compared to the first round interviews. They very clearly appreciated creative and insightful answers and were clearly unimpressed by poor analysis and getting flustered by mistakes. The partners provided good insights into the company when I asked at the end.

Overall, the interviews were a positive experience. I like the case format's ability to convey analytical abilities, but it's tough to expand meaningfully on a resume in 10 minutes of fit questions.

Interview Question – One of the interviewers gave me a blank graph and asked me to speculate what it should look like based on our previous discussion.   Answer Question

Milan (Italy)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Italy - Milan. First step consists in a computer based test, with questions about a case study. It is not very difficult but the hardest topic is time (45 minutes are not too much, consider that the case consists in 5 written pages); in the first step there is also a face-to-face interview.
The second step (1 month later for me) consists in two face to face interview.

The one-hour inferview consists in: 20 minutes of presentation and general questions, 30 minutes for a case study, 10 minures for questions.

Interview Question – Case studies are challenging   Answer Question

Consultant

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2009.

Interview Details – Asked about my background, strengths, weaknesses. Asked to analyze graphs and charts. Went through several case interviews.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – Close listed on Campus. Initial interviews were on campus with 2 project leaders. Relatively easy interviews with a lot of emphasis on healthcare cases. Got a call from one of the interviewers about result of the interview by the evening.

Decision rounds in the office. Interviewed along with a lot of students from other schools. Seemed a bit too organized. Staging area with a couple of consultants in the room all the time ostensibly to put you at ease. My conversations did get heated and I do think feedback from them might have effected the outcome, although these interactions are supposed to be non-evaluative.

Interviewed with 3 partners. All of them went pretty well. There was a lot of pushing towards the so what. Interesting cases with charts and heavy duty numbers.

Interview Questions

• Lot of our consultants leave to do great things. If you were to leave BCG in 5 years, where do you see yourself?   View Answer
  • Probability based question on how much money a drug needs to make to account for all the failures in R&D and clinical trials   View Answer

Consultant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – it was pretty good. consultants were friendly and professional. they were looking for out of the box answers though.