Boston Consulting Group

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.8

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed through career services for my MBA program. It was a classic on campus recruiting process. First interview was on campus, two interviewers who you could tell were engaged and attentive. Both asked atypical case questions (neither had a clear cut and dry answer) you could tell they were analyzing how I broke down the problem. Second round was at BCG's offices and I met with two partners, was more of a strategy discussion than a case. They were really down to earth and very interesting people to get a chance to talk to.

Interview Questions
  • The interviewer said that a project I was working on was due in 2 months, but was just told by my team that we would need 4 months to complete. How do you solve the problem ? The interviewer was very vague with answers and didn't give anything that I didn't ask for.   View Answer
No negotiation, consultant salaries out of MBA are pretty standardized.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Applied through the Advanced degree route. BCG came to campus for a presentation. Case practice workshop was conducted for first round interviewees. First round was in Chicago. Interviewed by two projects leaders. Each interview consisted of a 10 min fit component, a 30 minute case and 5 min Q&A. Fit and case were both pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • Heavy on data analysis from graphs/tables. Need to be quick/thorough with math.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2 round 1 interviews followed by 3 round 2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • All interviews were typical case interviews. Familiarity with charts is important as they tend to use a lot of exhibits   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

There are two rounds 1st round I had two interview with a project leader and a principle. The Second round I had two interviews with Partners. With the exception of one of my final round interviews all the interviews had the same standard format. Fit interview for 15 min and then candidate lead case interview for 30 min. One of my final round interviews was a written interview where I had 45 min to look through information and compose a recommendation. I then had 45 min of discussion and follow-up questions with my interviewer regarding the situation. Then I had 15 min of Fit interview to finish up.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was probably some of the math in one of the cases. Not complicated mathematically, but conceptually trying to figure out how to structure the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Campus Recruitment. BCG short-lists people from the top B-schools based on the resumes and then conducts detailed case interviews. Often, they offer summer internships and based on summer performance, full time offers are given.

Interview Questions
    • I want to invest in alumnium in Australia. Give me your advice. For every question asked the reply was 'I have nothing more to say'. It was exaspearating- no details. I was forced to make many assumptions in providing the advice.   View Answer
    No, negotiation. It is fixed pay.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

(Translated from English)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

Ich bekam eine Einladung zu einem Vorstellungsgespräch schon einen Tag nach meiner Bewerbung. Ich musste einen Computertest machen (der machbar war) und zwei Gespräche. Die Fallstudien waren auch nicht sehr schwierig, aber die Interviewer gaben ganz wenig Feedback während des Gespräches darüber, wie es lief. Die Atmosphäre ist entspannt, und die Personalmitarbeiter sind sehr fürsorglich gegenüber den Bewerbern.

I got an invitation to an interview only one day after my application. I had to do a computer test (which was doable) and two interviews. The case studies were also not very difficult, but the interviewers gave very little feedback during the interview on how I was doing. The atmosphere is relaxed, and the HR staff is very concerned about the applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Übliche Fragen wie „Warum haben Sie x studiert?“ „Warum wollen Sie mit uns arbeiten?“   Standard questions like "why did you study x" "why do you want to work with us".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Recruitment took place at Columbia University campus. The first round interview was with one of the CU graduates currently working at BCG HR. It was a very pleasant conversation about my background. The second round interview was in Philadelphia. I had 2 half-hour case case interviews with two different offices-Moscow and Kiev. To my surprise the interview was in Russian. I do speak fluent Russian, however, I got lost in terminology which I learn in English only. The interviewers were very nice and I felt that they liked me and even tried to help me. Nevertheless, I didn't pass this round. I was simply not prepared to do case interviews in Russian. Great experience though, gotta do a better job next time:)

Interview Questions
    • Russian company discovered 9 huge oil fields with different capacity. Analyze and prioritize each oil field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

It was an interview on campus and there were 2 case studies, 45 mins/ ea. They asked me to analysis the business of a coffee shop providing the background of the market as well as the details of the shop and give a solution after the calculation. The following case study interview is given by a guy who had been in BCG for 1 year. We chatted a little bit football (he is from Europe) and finished the case. It went very smoothly. The second interview was easier for me. Whether or not the recruiter led you in the case analysis is important.

Consultant Interview

6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotiation possible other than start dates