Boston Consulting Group

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.8

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Resume screening resulting in about 100 candidates shortlisted for 1st round interview. Two interviews of 50 minutes duration each. First 10 minutes focus on fit, resume, background and experience type questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to defend your point of view when all others were against it". Case for about 30 minutes. Some math calculations.

Interview Questions
  • What five words would your friends and colleagues use to describe you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

First round is two mid-level consultants from any office. Each is about 15 minutes fit and 30 minutes case. Cases are real-life ones and pretty straightforward.

Second/final round is in the target office with three partners from that office. Each is about 45 minutes and more variable in content to the first round. Some give traditional cases, while other cases are a bit more creative in nature. The fit portion is more conversational.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Went through 2 one-on-one interviews with two partners, both were very pleasant. Afterwards there's a 2-hour written case study in which a ton of information, charts, and tables are presented in a booklet format, and I had to create a presentation presenting my recommendations based on the information in the booklet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I had a good deal of previous contact with the company, attended several events, read about them, prepared for the case interviews. I was invited for the first round interview and talked to two interviewers. They were nice, curious, interesting. The feedback for not making an offer was that my solutions for the problems were intuitive.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to draw a framework on a strategy to fight Malaria in an Africa country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

The first part of the process was the submission of an online application through my university's on campus hiring program. About three weeks after this application was submitted, I was informed by email that I received a first round interview. This interview consisted of two back to back case interviews with associates. I made it to a second round in New York which was three case interviews with firm principals.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult challenge during college?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

The process was very formalized. I came in for several case interviews that they seemed to make more difficult than need be. It was as if they were trying to trick me, but in odd ways. If I started moving down the wrong path, they would encourage me and be supportive. Likewise, when I was on the right track, they pointed me in another direction. All in all, it was ood.

People were sort of friendly, with a little coldness. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Interview Questions
    • A company sells paper signs and are looking for a way to expand, what do you recommend?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2009.

Standard consulting case interview process. 2 rounds of interviews, 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the second round. All interviews with consulting staff, 2nd round with more senior staff. In both rounds decisions came the same day. Practice case offered between rounds. Interviews each took about 45 min.

Interview Questions
    • All the interviews had business cases, exactly as expected. All the cases were interesting problems to solve.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, which is typical for top consulting firms under normal circumstances.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2009.

2 interviews back to back both 1:1. Gave a business case situation.
    I thought i did everything right, had a good structure, was able to brainstorm and even drew a BCG matrix to answer a question. Yet did not get an offer. so they are hard to read.

The best way to prepare for the interview is to be good in structuring. so pick up any newspaper's business section and draw random structures for every situation. that way, u can be prepared for any kind of a case.

Interview Questions
    • A healthcare company trying to launch a new headache curing drug. should or shouldn't they invest when they already have a general painkiller in the market.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2008.

All of the communications were highly professional. The interviews were typical of what one would expect, 2 behavioral/case interviews in the first round and 3 behavioral/case interviews in the third round. Preparation is a must to perform well, however having a positive attitude along with some luck always helps. The number of interviews is helpful in getting multiple opportunities to show one's skills; conversely each interview provides a further opportunity to fail. In order to obtain an offer, every interview must go reasonably well.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewee needs to know his/her resume backwards and forwards. Based on my resume, I was asked what my two favorite authors are, why that is so, and what I had read most recently by them. I did not expect the question to be so detailed.   View Answer
    No negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2008.

15 minute fit interview: Was asked basic questions that focused on my strengths/weaknesses. Asked to provide examples of challenging situations or situations in which I demonstrated qualities relevant to the consulting role (managing difficult personalities, taking on a leadership role even when not formally appointed, etc.) It was important to be prepared specific with examples as my interviewer kept probing for more details. It is important too in the "fit" part of the interview that everything you say has a purpose; i.e. don't spend time talking about something if it does not demonstrate a character trait that you would like the interviewer to be aware of.

30 minute case interview is typical of consulting cases. I had four interviews before getting an offer, and my sense was that the case interview process varies significantly across interviewers. Generally, in the first round expect more junior interviewers (and hence interview cases that are more data-driven); in latter rounds expect more senior interviewers who will be looking for you to draw insight from the analysis of a problem and provide creative solutions to problems that may appear run-of-the-mill at first pass

Interview Questions
    • Give me three reasons why I should NOT hire you   View Answer
    • Tell me something about you that you are proud of, which you have not written in your resume   Answer Question

Remuneration in the consulting industry (not BCG specifically) was too low.