Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2008.

Interview

All of the communications were highly professional. The interviews were typical of what one would expect, 2 behavioral/case interviews in the first round and 3 behavioral/case interviews in the third round. Preparation is a must to perform well, however having a positive attitude along with some luck always helps. The number of interviews is helpful in getting multiple opportunities to show one's skills; conversely each interview provides a further opportunity to fail. In order to obtain an offer, every interview must go reasonably well.

Interview Questions

• The interviewee needs to know his/her resume backwards and forwards. Based on my resume, I was asked what my two favorite authors are, why that is so, and what I had read most recently by them. I did not expect the question to be so detailed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

Interview

very organized hiring process. two case interviews with two different consultants on real cases worked on in the past. cases were very solution driven. fit interview to start that focused on who you are and your motivations not just career wise. very professional and cordial interviewers. creative answers and thoughts well received.

Interview Questions

• What skill would you need to work on most in starting this position?   1 Answer
    • How do you manage your work life balance?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Düsseldorf (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in January 2011.

Interview

Ich habe die Einladung für ein Bewerbungsgespräch über die Teilnahme an einem Workshop bekommen. Das Bewerbungsverfahren bestand aus zwei Gesprächsrunden an zwei Tagen. Erste Runde: Einführende Vorstellung des Unternehmens, zwei Gespräche mit je einem Gesprächspartner. Fragen zur Persönlichkeit und beidesmal eine Fallstudie. Eindruck positiv, die Interviewer waren freundlich und einfühlsam. Die Fälle waren nicht schwierig. Fall eins: Firma im Stahlhandel will Kosten reduzieren, Antwort ist im Wesentlichen, dass sie administrative Kosten senken müssen. Zweiter Fall: Produktion in der Lieferkette dauerte länger als bei der Konkurrenz. Antwort: Aufträge für die Lieferanten wurden zu spät abgeschickt. Die zweite Runde war viel aggressiver und nicht so freundlich. Durchdringende Fragen zur persönlichen Eignung, viel schwierigere Fallstudien. Die Interviewer waren nicht mehr so einfühlsam. 4 Interviews: Im ersten ging es nur um persönliche Eignung. In den übrigen drei gab es viel schwierigere Fallstudien. Fall eins: Betonproduktion in Deutschland, Marktvolumen für einen neuen Betontyp. Fall zwei: Zwei Auktionshäuser, Vergleich der Geschäftszahlen und Frage, ob man Objekte unter 5 Euro aus dem internen Handel ausschließen sollte. Fall drei: eine Oper und Gelegenheiten zur Kostenreduktion oder Verkaufssteigerung.

I got an invitation for a job interview through participation in a workshop. Interview process consisted of 2 interview rounds on two different days. First round: introductory presentation of the firm, two 1to 1 interviews. Personal fit questions, and case in each. Impression: positive, the interviewer were friendly and supportive. Cases were not difficult. First firm trading steel tries to reduce the cost - the answer more or less to reduce administration cost. Second case: supply chain track production was taking more days than the competetive firm. The answer - the orders for the suppliers were sent too late. Second round much more aggressive and less friendly. X-Ray personal fit questions, much harder cases. the interviewer were not that supportive anymore. 4 Interviews: first one included only personal fit. In other three much harder cases. much less initial information and almost no support from the interviewers. First case - Beton production in Germany - market size for a new beton type. Second case two action houses - compare the trade figures and question whether to exclude the items under 5 euros from the inside-trade. Third case - opera and opportunity to reduce cost - increase sales.

Interview Questions

• Sollte die Firma einen neuen Typ Beton auf den deutschen Markt bringen? Der Typ zeichnet sich durch eine ohne zusätzliches Polieren flache und ebene Oberfläche aus, aber kostet in der Produktion 20 % mehr.   Should the company produce a new type of concrete for German market? This type is characterized by flat and smooth surface without any additional polishing but can be produced at 20% additional cost.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

Interview

The person interviewing me did everything he could to make me feel uncomfortable, that was I think part of his strategy. I think I could have performed well given a bit more space to breathe. I wish I could have been interviewed at least by one other person. It felt like my interviewer was in a hurry to get me out of there before I started talking, and to be honest he felt snooty and arrogant. I was told to try again in a few years, I most likelly will not.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2009.

Interview

Basic consulting interviews Two 1:1 case interviews - On campus Three 1:1 case interviews - At the office The case interviews are very standard fare. Make sure you do many many mock interviews before doing the real thing. Very few people can wing it. There are a number of books out to help you practice putting together a structure. These are helpful. i strongly believe the hardest part of the interview is structuring the problem up-front, so the books can help you here. As is anything all it take is practice. It will show in your presentation skills. The second round interviews are very similar to the first with the exception that they are conducted by partners. Partners tend to be much more loose with the cases they give, which means you are likely to get someone unconventional questions. The interview is not necessarily harder, but it is a little bit more nerve racking.

Interview Questions

• IT firm expanding to new city - How would this work? What would we think about?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate anything. If you have a competing from a top firm they will raise their bonus.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview

I had my first round interview on campus with BCG. As someone with an advanced non-business degree, I knew I was going to be a somewhat unusual candidate. Accordingly, I spent months preparing for the case interviews and general fit questions. My interview was the final one of the day. Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that my interviewer had zero interest in being there at that point. He was extremely short and rude throughout the interview. The case he gave me was a straight numbers problem (which I didn't realize until part of the way through). It was surprisingly difficult, and I struggled both with keeping the numbers straight and dealing with the pressure of the interviewer's attitude. The second interview went better. The guy was tired, but nice, and the case was somewhat more conventional. However, I knew by then that it was already a lost cause, so I just kind of struggled through it and got out of there.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview

I applied through the career center at school as the company comes to recruit here. Then, got interview invitation and I had to fly to another city for the interview. The interview consisted of 3 sessions. All were behavioral and case interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

2 interviews first round (background and case) 3 interviews final round (background and case) BCG has a very transparent interview process, they let you know exactly what you are going to be doing. That being said, they expect perfection - my interviews all went well (I would say my final round interviews were just as good as my first round interviews) but that wasn't enough to get the offer. Answer one question wrong or pause for 2 seconds on one part of one case, and you're sunk. They are very professional and amicable, recruiting services were wonderful. Only thing that could have been better is if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Typical cases on revenue stream changes in a pharma company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, first round involved 2 interviews with project leaders and second round 3 interviews with principals and partners. Standard management consulting interviews with half time spent on case study and other half spent on your personal story/background. Very tough interview, but overall a very pleasant experience with a great group of people.

Interview Questions

• Case interview involving mining company that pioneered a new mining process that made extensive ore deposits accessible but required new equipment not commercially available. Should they manufacturer in-house or contract to outside firms?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The lion's share of interviewing is done with students, undergraduates for Associate positions and MBAs for consulting positions. There is an extensive resume screen and only the top candidates from the top schools are chosen for interviews. Interviews are done for "classes" of consultants that will all start at the same time and position. Candidates come in for several case interviews in one day - typically 3-5 interviews. Those who make it through the first round are invited back for a second round. Successful candidates receive an offer that is non negotiable.

Interview Questions

• A case study where you are presented with only a few facts and asked to provide a recommendation on what the company should do.   1 Answer