Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

5 rounds of interviews by many different teams and executives.

They were very focused and really wanted to know your background and giving specific examples. They also do a lot of follow up questions. You can't lie your way through the interviews.

Interview Questions
  • If you were a brand, what would be your motto?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

The interview included three rounds, with an initial pre-screen. Final round was in the office where i was joining. The interviews included a fit questionaire section and a case on a topic from the client. Case included a math portion and a lot of framing analytics. All interviewers were very nice and friendly. But questions were tough.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

In the first round, I met with two mid-level employees for 45 minutes each. Most of the time was spent on a case, with 5 to 10 minutes of fit questions for me, and a chance for me to ask questions of them. In the final round, I met with two senior employees. The format was similar - 45 minutes spent with each person, most of the time spent on the cases, with 10 minutes or so for fit questions at the end. One of the cases in the final round was a written case. Three of the four people I met with were very pleasant. I suspect the fourth may have been a stress interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time in which you had to persuade others to your point of view.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Very professional, always eager to help and provide valuable tips, contributed to travel costs, interviewers were very welcoming and it seemed more like an exchange between equals rather than an interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2014.

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
    Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
    I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
    Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions
    • No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewer were all very nice. About 25 Minutes competency based questions, 30 mins case, 5 mins my Time to come up with questions. Know your cv is a Must.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Bewerbung Online, dann eingeladen zum Vorstellungsgespräch. Sehr nette und professionelle Atmosphäre. Zwei Case Interviews, zusammen mit zwei Personal Fit interviews. Sehr detaillierte Fragen zum Lebenslauf. Keine Stressfragen. Zwischen durch "Online-Case", ca. 45min am Computer. Von der Struktur so wie der online verfügbare Beispiel Case.

Interview Questions
    • Die Fragen waren sehr straight forward. Das Interview format war eher "candidate-led".   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through an employee referral and was invited to interview within approximately 1 month of the initial referral. I had 3 rounds of interviews all in one day, with a decision at the end of each round on whether interviewees had done well enough to move to the next stage. It was a long and gruelling day and required a lot of stamina, although there were breaks during which I was able to go to go outside, get some fresh air and recharge.

Before the interviews started we had a one hour session with a number of current consultants introducing the firm, getting to know each other and giving candidates the opportunity to ask questions for about half an hour - it was a nice way to start the day and meant I felt fairly relaxed by the time I went into my first interview.

The first round involved 2 regular case interviews and then an 'online case' i.e. numeracy & chart reading test done on a computer. The second round consisted of 2 cases with principals and the final round was just one case interview with a senior partner. Each interview lasted 45-60mins.

Each interview followed the classic format, i.e. 10-15m discussion about fit, motivation, prior experiences and leadership credentials, followed by up to 45m discussing a business case.

The fit discussions were in line with my expectations, and no major curveballs although I was asked to discuss a time I had failed and what I learnt from it. I found this section of the interview very informal and enjoyed getting to know my interviewers during the discussion. The case interviews were less fomulaic than at the other top tier firm I received an offer from and quite intellectually stimiulating. I found the key was putting down a very clear structure at the beginning and using it as a reference throughout the interview to engage the interviewer in my thinking.

Most of the cases involved calculations, one involved some quite lengthy and laborious market size calculations for different market segements. What helped here was actually writing out my equation and variables and then running each calculation whilst filling in a table to keep things organized. My 3rd round did not require any calculations at all and felt more like a series of mini-cases about specific business topics, than a classic business case.

Other than that the support team did a great job throughout the process (I had to fly to a neighboring country for my interview), they put us up in a lovely hotel and informed me of the outcome pretty early on the next working day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had one deeply theoretical case about the automotive industry in which the solution required me to develop an equation from first principles to describe the economics of the product line the 'client' was operating in.   Answer Question
    Limited room to negotiate as packages and benefits are standardized. I had another offer from BCG's main competitor and their benefits package was superior (though their base pay was lower). Despite this, BCG did not change their offer significantly in the course of negotiations. However I went with BCG as it felt like the better fit for me and I was impressed with them throughout the process