Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews. 2 back to back case interview each round. Good learning experience. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer. Very professional experience.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to several presentations on campus and spoke to many of the ADC consultants from the west coast. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. It helps to network before submitting the cover letter through the website.
Once submitted, they were a little inconsistent in letting people know whether they had a first round interview. They invited us to an interview prep workshop 2 days before which was nice but a little too late. My interviewers were great but I ultimately was unable to read the situation and do well.

Interview Question – Business case didn't feel like the practice ones given. Case on solar panels. Not quite interviewer or interviewee led. Still was interesting even though I could tell by their body language that I was not going on to the next round.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Interviews were rigorous and difficult. Important to maintain cool under pressure. Must have hypothesis driven approach and interviewee must drive the case. Good structure and math are expected. Solution - practice... a lot.

1 round interview - 2 interviews in local office. Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Project Leader and Principal.
Decision round - 3 interviews in the office of choice/preference. Again Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Partners and Principals.

Interview Question – Rigor of the cases. Must have creative solutions yet also suggest implementable solutions to tough problems in a very short time (approx. 25 min cases).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Best in class offers.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited for a first round interview in the office. Interview consisted of two behavioral/case interviews. One interview was with a principal and the other was with a project manager. Cases were fairly standard affairs and were based on actual projects that the interviewers worked on.

Interview Question – A pharmaceutical wants to expand to China or Mexico. Which one should they move into?   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Question – I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   View Answer

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Applied through the Advanced degree route. BCG came to campus for a presentation. Case practice workshop was conducted for first round interviewees. First round was in Chicago. Interviewed by two projects leaders. Each interview consisted of a 10 min fit component, a 30 minute case and 5 min Q&A. Fit and case were both pretty standard.

Interview Question – Heavy on data analysis from graphs/tables. Need to be quick/thorough with math.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – 2 round 1 interviews followed by 3 round 2 interviews

Interview Question – All interviews were typical case interviews. Familiarity with charts is important as they tend to use a lot of exhibits   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

Interview Details – There are two rounds 1st round I had two interview with a project leader and a principle. The Second round I had two interviews with Partners. With the exception of one of my final round interviews all the interviews had the same standard format. Fit interview for 15 min and then candidate lead case interview for 30 min. One of my final round interviews was a written interview where I had 45 min to look through information and compose a recommendation. I then had 45 min of discussion and follow-up questions with my interviewer regarding the situation. Then I had 15 min of Fit interview to finish up.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was probably some of the math in one of the cases. Not complicated mathematically, but conceptually trying to figure out how to structure the solution.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, NY

Interview Details – Recruitment took place at Columbia University campus. The first round interview was with one of the CU graduates currently working at BCG HR. It was a very pleasant conversation about my background. The second round interview was in Philadelphia. I had 2 half-hour case case interviews with two different offices-Moscow and Kiev. To my surprise the interview was in Russian. I do speak fluent Russian, however, I got lost in terminology which I learn in English only. The interviewers were very nice and I felt that they liked me and even tried to help me. Nevertheless, I didn't pass this round. I was simply not prepared to do case interviews in Russian. Great experience though, gotta do a better job next time:)

Interview Question – Russian company discovered 9 huge oil fields with different capacity. Analyze and prioritize each oil field.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group