Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions
  • Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

The first round interview consisted of two 40 minute back-to-back case interviews with the first 10-15 minutes of each devoted to behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice and seemed to sincerely want you to perform well on the cases. The interview was the result of an employee referral. After communicating with recruiting, I had approximately a month to push back the interview in order to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • One of the business cases involved evaluating whether a supermarket chain should expand its offerings.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

I interviewed as an ADC (2yr postdoc experience in the life sciences). People were extremely friendly. Went through two rounds of two 45 min interviews each. First round with a consultant and a principal, second/decision round with a partner and a senior partner. Cases were difficult but fair; more emphasis on fit and creativity within your framework.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your research relevant? (What followed was a debate on the pros and cons; did my best to be polite but emphatic)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

There were two 45-minute interviews with a Project Leader and a Principle. Both interviewers were similar - 5 minute intro, 10 minutes of fit questions, 25 minutes of the case, and 5 minutes of my questions. There was nothing really surprising. Both interviewers were pleasant to talk to.

The first case was led by the interviewer (i.e. interviewer asking questions), while the second was interviewee-led (i.e. interviewer presents information only when asked). This threw me off as I was expecting the the interviewee-led cases. Be ready to lead the case or be led. The same structured approach should be applied to both.

Interview Questions
    • What accomplishment outside of work/school are you most proud of? What qualities would your ideal manager have?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

2 rounds of interview. First round with junior people at an office close-by, both fit and case portions were no surprise. Candidates should prepare according to various online resources.

Second round was with the final office of choice. It also contained a written/presentation style format where candidates will be asked to prepare an executive summary and present with slides of choice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were disliked on a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2014.

First round was two 45min case interviews back to back in the office closest to my University. The next round was in Boston office, with one 45min case interview and a second written case interview. The written case is a new format started by few BCG offices. You get 25-30 slides with a set of questions, and 45min to analyze them. It is followed up with a presentation and discussion with a principal/partner.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Questions
    • A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Questions
    • The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Initially picked up via a 3rd party recruitment firm. Submitted CV and covering letter for specific BCG team (IVI Taskforce). Attended first round interview at which I met two BCG employees, one specifically from IVI team and one more senior general strategist. Both interviews had all the standard cultural fit and CV exploration. Both had a case study element, one relating to to a Swiss bank looking to reduce costs.

Interview Questions
    • Maths elements of both case studies were quite complex and you were invited to ask questions or clarify. However interviewer sat right next to you which was slightly off-putting.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

- Comprehensive hiring process on campus; several networking sessions and dinners / cocktails
    - BCG supported the interview process by organizing mock interviews with candidates
    - Interview itself comprises 2 rounds of 2-3 45-min interviews (10-min behavioral, 30-min case and 5 mins to discuss other questions)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out-of-the-blue in terms of question. However, in second round with partners, it's likely that the interview structure could be non-traditional depending on the "mood" of the partner interviewing. Possible to end up even as a conversation / discussion about a topic of interest. But note that you are still being assessed on structured thinking, creativity, insights, etc.   Answer Question