Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions

3.8

126 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Applied via corporate employment web portal. The web portal was not user friendly and it took an inordinate amount of time to complete the application. I was eventually sent an email that they would like to do a phone interview. The rescheduled the interview several times. The interviewer was in another city and had no specific knowledge of the position or people I would work with. The interviewer promised follow through and I never heard back. I was not overly disappointed as a had a very negative impression of the company at that point.

Interview Questions
  • The asked about specific types of marketing analysis that I had never heard of. I have researched these and found little or no information. They must by BCG specific. So, without working there before....   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Very friendly interviewer. Questions are normal cases, but I made several mistakes on Maths... I did it too quickly but didn't double check it. One question expect you to show some creativities. People should be prepared for the math. Review the case frameworks

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Applied online, flown to SF office, passed 1st round but did not make it past final round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

First round was two back to back 45 minute interviews. Decision round was a series of three 45 minute interviews. Interviews always started off with a few behavioral questions and then transitioned to the case with a few minute at the end for questions. Cases were real projects the interviewers had been involved with. Interesting and challenging. I wasn't successful but best of luck to others who are interviewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Apx 25 days after my notification of being selected, I interviewed at the Philadelphia office. So, BCG is supposed to have a great culture, but on my interview day I was underwhelmed. First, the office was in shambles as they were in the process of moving, however more importantly, both of my interviewers were extremely late (about 45 minutes late for first 1:1) and then another 30 minutes in between. The first interviewer tried his best to be disinterested by my caseworks. However, he did say at the end that I impressed him.

Next interviewer, started by putting his feet on the desk (with no socks) and eating out of a paper bowl of soup, talking simultaneously. Odd start. Anyway, case was average difficulty.

Somehow I kept an enthusiastic facade throughout this goat rodeo of a job interview. Which led me to ask myself one question. Are these the kind of people I wanted to work with?

I think I was fortunate, as they decided for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Two rounds of interviews, first round involved 2 interviews with project leaders and second round 3 interviews with principals and partners. Standard management consulting interviews with half time spent on case study and other half spent on your personal story/background. Very tough interview, but overall a very pleasant experience with a great group of people.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview involving mining company that pioneered a new mining process that made extensive ore deposits accessible but required new equipment not commercially available. Should they manufacturer in-house or contract to outside firms?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2 interviews first round (background and case)
    3 interviews final round (background and case)

BCG has a very transparent interview process, they let you know exactly what you are going to be doing. That being said, they expect perfection - my interviews all went well (I would say my final round interviews were just as good as my first round interviews) but that wasn't enough to get the offer. Answer one question wrong or pause for 2 seconds on one part of one case, and you're sunk.

They are very professional and amicable, recruiting services were wonderful. Only thing that could have been better is if I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Typical cases on revenue stream changes in a pharma company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Still haven't interviewed yet. I have been preparing a lot and my interview is coming this week. I wanted to use this site to look at some of the questions that others have faced interviewing at this company. I will update my info after my interview to provide a more detailed description of my experience

Interview Questions
    • The client was a major credit card company (e.g. Mastercard, AmEx, etc.) with $2B annual revenues. Last year, they entered into the Chinese market with limited success -- only bringing in $6M in revenues. They have entered into other emerging markets and have been successful. The CEO wanted to know whether the Chinese market is attractive, and what are some strategies for either growing in the market or retracting from the market.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Resume drop on campus, interviewed in office. Two 45 min interviews going over case and fit. Didn't really mesh well with either of my interviewers so wasn't surprised at the no go for the final round.

Their logistics were solid, though I was disappointed with the interviewers. Didn't seem like they really cared. They were tired and ready to go home for the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Case question was about dividing a bonus pool for 4 business units by looking at performance data.   View Answer
    • Cost structure of elevator service operation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2 round 1 interviews followed by 3 round 2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • All interviews were typical case interviews. Familiarity with charts is important as they tend to use a lot of exhibits   Answer Question
    No negotiation