Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – Two cases, very pleasant experience (as much as it can be). One case on insurance company strategy and the other on pharma R&D and pricing. Get an offer to proceed to the second round

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Still haven't interviewed yet. I have been preparing a lot and my interview is coming this week. I wanted to use this site to look at some of the questions that others have faced interviewing at this company. I will update my info after my interview to provide a more detailed description of my experience

Interview Question – The client was a major credit card company (e.g. Mastercard, AmEx, etc.) with $2B annual revenues. Last year, they entered into the Chinese market with limited success -- only bringing in $6M in revenues. They have entered into other emerging markets and have been successful. The CEO wanted to know whether the Chinese market is attractive, and what are some strategies for either growing in the market or retracting from the market.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – The process was very formalized. I came in for several case interviews that they seemed to make more difficult than need be. It was as if they were trying to trick me, but in odd ways. If I started moving down the wrong path, they would encourage me and be supportive. Likewise, when I was on the right track, they pointed me in another direction. All in all, it was ood.

People were sort of friendly, with a little coldness. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Interview Question – A company sells paper signs and are looking for a way to expand, what do you recommend?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2010.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews via campus recruiting. First round on campus and second round at the office. In general everyone was very friendly. First round cases were a bit easier and involved some heavy analysis of graphs. Second round interviewers seemed a bit rushed and less focused on answering questions. Took more of a high level approach to problems. Great company, tough cases.

Interview Question – Please analyze this graph of experience-based learning   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Application online - resume, cover letter, transcript required.
First round - 2 interviews, 45 minutes each - 15 minutes personal, 30 minutes case
Second round - 3 interviews, 1 hour written presentation, two 45 minute interviews like the last round

Turnaround time on each interview was less than a day for a positive result, usually 2-3 days for a negative result.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you had to work on a team and you demonstrated leadership.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Invitation to a 2 day company presentation/interview.

Interview Question – What do you consider your biggest achievement in life?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – The first part of the process was the submission of an online application through my university's on campus hiring program. About three weeks after this application was submitted, I was informed by email that I received a first round interview. This interview consisted of two back to back case interviews with associates. I made it to a second round in New York which was three case interviews with firm principals.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult challenge during college?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – I had a good deal of previous contact with the company, attended several events, read about them, prepared for the case interviews. I was invited for the first round interview and talked to two interviewers. They were nice, curious, interesting. The feedback for not making an offer was that my solutions for the problems were intuitive.

Interview Question – I was asked to draw a framework on a strategy to fight Malaria in an Africa country.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

Interview Details – Went through 2 one-on-one interviews with two partners, both were very pleasant. Afterwards there's a 2-hour written case study in which a ton of information, charts, and tables are presented in a booklet format, and I had to create a presentation presenting my recommendations based on the information in the booklet.

Interview Questions

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round is two mid-level consultants from any office. Each is about 15 minutes fit and 30 minutes case. Cases are real-life ones and pretty straightforward.

Second/final round is in the target office with three partners from that office. Each is about 45 minutes and more variable in content to the first round. Some give traditional cases, while other cases are a bit more creative in nature. The fit portion is more conversational.

Interview Question – A case with slide after slide of ambiguous data.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group