Boston Consulting Group

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Online application, followed by an invitation to solve an assessment test in the office.
The test was quite tight in terms of time, but nothing more than pure math.
Then a 2 one-on-one interview, with a small personal component and then two case interviews. One case was about organizational design, the other was a new product evaluation and conditions to succeed.

Interview Question – One of the cases was a new product evaluation, which was completely random and unexpected.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got an invitation to an interview only one day after my application. I had to do a computer test (which was doable) and two interviews. The case studies were also not very difficult, but the interviewers gave very little feedback during the interview on how I was doing. The atmosphere is relaxed, and the HR staff is very concerned about the applicants.

Interview Question – Standard questions like "why did you study x" "why do you want to work with us".   Answer Question

Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Rounds:
1) 2 Interviews (40% personal, 60% Case) and 1 Online Case (23 questions in approx. 50 minutes)
2) 3 Interviews (40% personal, 60% Case) and BCG Real Life (12 min. each, 3 different business situations, such as slide writing and client communication)

Interview Question – Changing role with consultant in BCG real life   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Munich (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an offer to attend a first round interview day at the London Office (international recruitment - applied for BCG Germany). The first round consisted of two 1:1 interviews and a numerical test. Test was pretty easy and a little bit more 'interesting' than the standard SHL numerical reasoning tests. The interviews consisted of ca. 15min personal questions, 25min case study, 5min questions one could ask the interviewer (case 1: lean production/instant coffee manufacturer; case 2: analyzing potential for increasing profit margins of a mining company). The first interviewer was really tough and asked very aggressive questions; second one was nice and easy going but also a bit more boring.
Got invited for a second round of interviews a few days later, which I attended ca. 1 month after the first round in Germany. This recruitment day consisted of 3 case interviews, a round of 3 smaller tasks (called BCG real life) and a late lunch with a principal from the Munich office. The cases were probably a little bit more difficult than the ones in the first round (1 pharma, 1 non-for-profit, 1 I don't remember) but not much harder than in the first round. The real life tasks were quite challenging as one usually had only 5min preparation time and 5min execution time (e.g. present this written information to me and draft a powerpoint slide). Overall, my impression of the interviewers was a bit less positive after the second round than after the first one, as everyone somehow seemed to be very similar (no exceptional characters).
I did not get the job but got good feedback on the same day. If I had to go for the same interview again I would pay attention to take time myself during the case studies: one major point of criticism was that I should have come to conclusions on my own, meaning without being asked to do so because the time was up. So if you're going for an interview with BCG soon make sure to keep an eye on the watch. Also, I would probably rather apply for an internship as I understood that most of the entry level positions are basically given to former interns and the interview process for internships is a lot less tedious.

Interview Question – When did you ever move out of your comfort zone?
Why are you realizing only now (after undergraduate degree) that you do not enjoy your subject of study and did not just change your major half-way through your undergraduate degree?
  View Answers (2)

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Munich (Germany)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – I've applied through the London office for a position either in London or in Germany. I got an interview a three weeks later in the London office, where I was interviewed by consultants from Germany and Austria for the German office. The first interview consisted of three rounds: twice a case-study (25 min), a personal fit assessment (15 min) and questions for the interviewer (5 min). Then you have to sit a 45-min-long online case study. The fit questions were the typical ones (tell me about yourself, weaknesses/strengths, teamwork experience, why should we hire you? etc.). The cases were about M&A and a profit case. The online test was to assess how you work on your own. It is an interactive case study, where you have to interpret graphs etc.
The interviewers were nice and professional. However one of them seemed to be first quite disinterested but was more engaged towards the end. It was a good chat altogether and the feedback, I could request, was very personal and constructive.

Interview Question – who would you like to meet (some known personality)?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – I got an invitation for a job interview through participation in a workshop. Interview process consisted of 2 interview rounds on two different days.
First round: introductory presentation of the firm, two 1to 1 interviews. Personal fit questions, and case in each. Impression: positive, the interviewer were friendly and supportive. Cases were not difficult. First firm trading steel tries to reduce the cost - the answer more or less to reduce administration cost. Second case: supply chain track production was taking more days than the competetive firm. The answer - the orders for the suppliers were sent too late.

Second round much more aggressive and less friendly. X-Ray personal fit questions, much harder cases. the interviewer were not that supportive anymore. 4 Interviews: first one included only personal fit. In other three much harder cases. much less initial information and almost no support from the interviewers. First case - Beton production in Germany - market size for a new beton type. Second case two action houses - compare the trade figures and question whether to exclude the items under 5 euros from the inside-trade.
Third case - opera and opportunity to reduce cost - increase sales.

Interview Question – Should the company produce a new type of concrete for German market? This type is characterized by flat and smooth surface without any additional polishing but can be produced at 20% additional cost.   View Answer

Munich (Germany)

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – In the first round there was a computer based test. Difficulty here could be described along the lines of the GMAT. Key was to identify the key points out of a lot of data. Next to that there were two case based interviews held at their London office (I am studying in London and hence BCG Germany flew over). After I had my final round in Germany consisting of 4 case based interviews that were slightly longer and harder. Unfortunately no offer...make sure you structure the hell out of the cases.

Interview Question – What are your values in life?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group interview questions and advice in Germany. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.