Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions in Houston, TX

3.5

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Career center resume drop, followed by invitation to first-round interview, and finally a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Case questions are structured, but definitely requires thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied via corporate employment web portal. The web portal was not user friendly and it took an inordinate amount of time to complete the application. I was eventually sent an email that they would like to do a phone interview. The rescheduled the interview several times. The interviewer was in another city and had no specific knowledge of the position or people I would work with. The interviewer promised follow through and I never heard back. I was not overly disappointed as a had a very negative impression of the company at that point.

Interview Questions

• The asked about specific types of marketing analysis that I had never heard of. I have researched these and found little or no information. They must by BCG specific. So, without working there before....   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

First round was two back to back 45 minute interviews. Decision round was a series of three 45 minute interviews. Interviews always started off with a few behavioral questions and then transitioned to the case with a few minute at the end for questions. Cases were real projects the interviewers had been involved with. Interesting and challenging. I wasn't successful but best of luck to others who are interviewing.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

First round campus interview. Couple of fit questions and a case. Second round in BCG office, format was similar to first round. Received decision next day. Interviewers were very professional.

Interview Questions

• Profitability case. The answer was hidden in product mix part.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

BCG Contacted me about my interest in working for them.. Had an initial phone screen which went on very well. The first round was very theoretical cases about retail industry and O&G industry. I have over 13 years in O&G / Power areas and was really only interested in Energy industry consulting. The retail cases was a theoretical one which I didn't too well. The O&G case I did well... I moved to the next round. In the 2nd round all cases involved all cases not connected to Energy Industry. I thought I did ok on them but got feedback that I needed to structure cases better and be able to assimilate data on the fly. The feedback sounded too theoretical for me.. Since I like the energy industry, I have since realigned my search to mainly focus on Energy Industry consulting or other firms in Energy Industry. I see myself in the medium term taking a leadership role in Energy Industry and I feel that broadening out my career with Mgmt consulting (Mck, BCG, Bain, Booz) will thin me out rather than focus me into energy. I think the hiring practices of the typical mgmt consulting companies is focused on hiring fresh starry eyed MBAs rather than experienced hands. Smart people will succeed anywhere though. The selective companies have more smart people than most other companies...