Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Intern
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2013.

Interview Details – After a recruiting presentation at the university, there was an initial test (GMAT-based). Those who got approved were scheduled two interviews with Project Leaders. The last round was composed of two interviews with Partners or Principals, mostly with Partners.

The office is extremely customized and beautiful. As I have been interviewed with all major consulting companies, I can tell that there was a very friendly, relaxed environment, in which the interviewers sincerely wanted to know you better, both from a business and form a personal point of view.

In hindsight, I could see that several points mentioned in the recruiting presentation (such as respect for the employees and informal culture) were definitely true. I did not have similar experiences in the rival firms.

Interview Question – What are the most important factors to look into in the merger of two very big pharmaceutical companies? Inside each of these factors, which further areas deserve more attention?

As the case progressed, more data was available for the candidate.

In the end, the interviewer asked about recommendations for the client, which naturally was one of the pharmaceutical companies.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able choose the starting date that fits best for me.

Intern
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – 3 parts:
- Fit questions
- Business Case
- Ask what you want

Interview Question – Tell me two characteristics of your personality you have to improve and how you'll do that.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I just signed the contract. It was really good so no need to change.

Warsaw (Poland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Quite tough and many stages. I was surprised by some of the questions, especially those analytical ones. As these questions usually follow the same pattern I would advise you to read a book about them before you go to the interview.

Be sure you are well dressed, confident and prepared.

Interview Question – About number of pianos im Poland.   Answer Question

Budapest (Hungary)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received personal confirmation within 2 weeks and got invited for a reasoning test. It was a 50 minutes 55 questions test consisting of long passages of text, long logic questions as well as short quantitative ones. Within 2 weeks I got invited for two 1:1 interviews where I was asked questions based on my CV (I got handed theirs before the interview to get prepared) and then we talked through the case study. Finally, I was given the time to ask questions freely.
The whole process was very professional and relaxed. Everybody I talked to or met was friendly and seemed like they had all the time in the world. The people and the environment alone would make this a very enjoyable job.

Interview Question – Why consulting, why BCG?   Answer Question

Milan (Italy)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – i had to do a test about a bunch of data about the airline industry that i found quite difficult due to the different unit of measures of profitability that this industry uses.

Interview Question – What can you bring to the company?   View Answer

Milan (Italy)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – Cases were very specific and the interviewer questioned every line of reasoning. They evaluated every aspect of your thinking structure, the way you presented your thoughts on the matter and how you work under severe pressure.
The 2 case interviews were based on your problem-solving skills rather than your past experience.

Interview Question – If you were to evaluate the value of a business in Italy, how would you do it?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

Interview Details – First, I was invited with other students to spend a day at the countryside in order to discover the company. We had a company presentation, a lunch and then an outdoor activity where teams of students compete against each other to win as much "money" as they can. It was quite relaxed and enjoyable.

Right after that, I applied online and was invited for my first interview. To prepare you to the interview, they invite you to their office with other candidates to talk about the process. The interview process is very specific to management consulting firms. First, you complete a reasoning test on a computer. It's much better to be prepared by doing questions from the GMAT for example. The time is quite thight, but if you know what to expect it's okay. Then you have the interview itself with a consultant, you will never be interviewed by an HR person. He starts by asking classical questions about your resume, but it was absolutely not in depth in my case. It lasted only 10 minutes. After that you have the case. It is very important to be well prepared, no one can succeed without a good preparation (do cases, practice mental calculation, develop reasoning tricks to structure your thoughts). The interviewer explains a classical consulting problem and you have to solve the situation. Don't be afraid to take notes, to ask something if don't understand, their goal is not to trap you, they just want to see how you reflect. Take time to think about what you say and try to formulate what you want clearly and with as few words as possible. Don't forget to sum up what you have said so far in 1 min from time to time.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – went to several events, got through first round of interviews, enjoyed all people met, did not get an offer for the summer but was encouraged to apply for a full time offer in the fall

Interview Question – be ready for a question about a time you messed up and how you rectified the situation/what you learned   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – Lean process, with less steps than the other consultancy firms. Could be more supportive by offering coach or trainning sessions for the candidates, as the other firms did. Also could give feedback to their candidates as a way to improve their chances to learn and grow for other opportunities. Great format of case interview by presenting data and graphics in paper as the case advance.

Interview Question – Business case with slides and printed data, not only verbal presented data.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – Had first round interview in Atlanta. Two 45 minute interviews with first 10 minutes behavioral. Had market entry and cost case. Practice unit conversion because that is what through me off.

Interview Question – Look at this slide and tell me which supplier we should use.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!