Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.8

Consultant Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After providing me with a description of the job, she interviewed me over the phone. She then scheduled an interview for me with someone in HR. Neither interview was complicated, just basic fit questions, resume walk-through, etc. The first in-person interview was more difficult and in two parts. First, I had to complete a 45 minute skill assessment that involved researching Proctor & Gamble, their top 3-5 competitors, and bench-marking them in a fictional report. It was straightforward, and they provided you with the information they wanted to find. The second part of the interview involved two associates who talked through a case about the pencil industry in Nigeria with me to analyze my thought process. They were both fairly friendly and engaging. When I got called in for the final round, however, I was given a stress interview by one person. She asked how I would analyze the cosmetics market in a particular country in Eastern Europe. In a stress interview, the interviewer acts critical, disinterested, and even condescending to assess your reaction to pressure, so I highly recommend preparing for that. I didn't expect it in an interview for a research position, and I think I was too thrown off and intimidated to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you analyze to create a report on the cosmetics industry in Ukraine, and what order of importance would you rank them in?   Answer Question

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2014.

2 days after submitting my online application I received an email invitation for an interview which took place two days after. The process was pretty fast and well organized (received interview invitation first, after agreeing on date and time received interview confirmation with all relevant information). Overall the interview went well. It was a friendly professional atmosphere with standard interview questions - nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a situation in which something unexpected happened and you had to react quickly. What did you do? How was the outcome?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First, an email to request and phone interview. Then if all goes well an in-person interview with the broader team and HR member. I met with three team members and one HR consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone had the same questions because they read it off of a sheet that HR printed out for them. It was repetitive and insincere.   View Answer

Associate Interview

first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Questions
    • for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Case interview conducted by consultants, principals and partners current working at the BCG office in Sao Paulo. Additional interview with HR as a final check. The best way to prepare is by studying and practice case interviews, there are tons of case study books online

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Questions
    • The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2014.

Applied online and found out it was through an outside consulting firm. I had a phone interview, one in person interview and another phone interview. The phone interviews were general (tell me about yourself, what brought you to BCG, can you talk about X experience at Y place, etc.).

The in-person interview was more extensive. Questions about work history, specific projects I had done, how did I feel about doing certain tasks that would be required in this role, what information did I feel was relevant if a consultant needed more information about Department of Z in the US government. All three interviewers (I only had one interviewer per round, the phone interviews were with women, the in-person one was with a man) were all polite and nice and I felt it was genuinely pleasant conversations with each of them.

I did feel that the in-person interviewer (whom the incumbent would be working with) and I did just did not connect and I was distinctly less interest interested in the job as I advanced through the interview rounds. I somewhat suspect that particular experiences on my resume were of interest to this interviewer, but not necessarily as a means for actually hiring a candidate (more like we had something unique in common). However, this is strictly personal speculation as the recruiter informed me he had no specific feedback about my application/interview style.

They have a nice office and the front desk person was also quite personable.

I'm not sure if I would have accepted the offer, but for the right personality and person, this place could be a great fit.

Interview Questions
    • None were highly unusual. If you've been on interviews before or have experience with this type of organization, it probably won't stand out. However, as this would have been a new field for me, I may not have received any curve ball questions.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

BCG held a booth at a Job Fair where I dropped off my resume. I was later called back for a 20 minutes informal interview with one of the partners.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Questions
    • A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!