Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.8

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First round of interviews is comprised of two back-to-back interviews, each with about 15 minutes of personal questions (ie: "name a time when you led a group to achieve a tangible goal.") The second part is a 25 minute case question.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you failed." and the case portion in general   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

5 rounds of interviews by many different teams and executives.

They were very focused and really wanted to know your background and giving specific examples. They also do a lot of follow up questions. You can't lie your way through the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a brand, what would be your motto?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied through my university, then had several back to back interviews for both fit and a case. I got one relatively standard case, but also one that threw me for a loop with the estimation required, though I believe it was intended to also see how well I adapted to less standard ideas. Overall though, the process was pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about your greatest weakness", and case questions of course.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online through job board. Was contacted by a recruiter to come in for an interview. Interview lasted around an hour met with two people the third got busy and could not attend. I took an easy excel test and it was over.

Summer Associate Interview

I had two 45-minute interviews, back-to-back. The first interviewer spent most of the time on the case, and it was really bizarre. It was unlike anything I had practiced, and I knew I messed up on a simple math calculation. The second interview had a VERY straight-forward case which I think I did pretty well on. Both asked me a few questions about my resume before starting the case, and then I was given a few minutes at the end to ask them questions.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Very supportive, but intense. After my resume was selected, received two offers from the firm (from diversity recruiting and in general) for mock interviews - one over phone, the other in person in their local offices. Then a local reception for interviewees to network with consultants around the country, then the in person interview: fit questions and two case interviews with two separate consultants from different offices.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time where you played a role on a team and it was successful.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2015.

I found the position through my recruiter. They had me take 3 tests including a PP, Math and Writing. The tests were not terribly difficult but it would help to brush up on your 5th grade math (no calculator or excel allowed.) After the test I was this brought in to interview with the Sr. Exec. Asst.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake at work and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the position and BCG?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

You will have two 45-minute back-to-back interviews, including both case (35 minutes) and behavioral (10 minutes). The cases can be confusing if you don't clarify terms you don't know of. Be sure you communicate the process well. Listen and observe the interviewers. Sometimes they will pressure test you. Behavioral part is a typical process.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2015.

Applied through on-campus recruiting at top-10 university. Process took a little over 2 weeks.

First round interviews were on-campus and consisted of two 45-minute interviews with Project Leaders. Both spent 5-10 minute upfront on behavioral questions before jumping into cases. BCG cases are very candidate-led, so having a strong structure upfront is key to being able to crack the cases. I made my way through both first round cases pretty quickly, which gave me lots of time to just chat with my interviewers and ask them questions at the end of each interview.

I received a call the day after my interview informing me I had made it to the second round in my preferred office. One of my interviewers also called before my second round to give me interview feedback and also told me that BCG decision round interviews place a very strong emphasis on fit with the firm.

Second round interviews were on-site at the BCG office. My decision round interviews were the same format as my first round (two 45-minute interviews--apparently format can vary between each office though) and were with partners in the office. In my experience, my interviewers in the second round spent a lot more time casually chatting/asking fit questions than my first round interviewers. The cases were also lot less structured than the ones I saw in the first round, with partners often deviating from calculations, etc to ask me to brainstorm ideas. I received a call later that day from one of the partners who interviewed me and was extended an offer.

Knowledge Analyst (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2015.

I had a 3 part interview. First, a phone screening. Second, an in-person interview at the office. Third, a video interview. They are mostly just trying to determine who you are, what you're looking for, and if you'll be a good fit. Be ready to discuss your resume, accomplishments, and some behavioral/situational type questions. Nothing crazy. My interviewers were very personable.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a situation where you have multiple time sensitive matters that need to be done?   Answer Question