Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.8

Scientific Liaison Interview

Interview

They were looking for people with specific skills and they needed such person right away. I was approached by Boston Consulting Group to contribute. We have exchanged a couple emails to set up a time for me to contribute to the project.

Senior Knowledge Analyst/Knowledge Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had four interviews over the course of a number of weeks which were a combination of a phone screen, a video screen, and two in-office interviews. Everyone that I spoke with seemed like great potential coworkers -- hard working, go-getter, great previous work backgrounds. I did not meet anyone that would not have been senior to me, however. The job also sounded like a fun, interesting career pivot which would be engaging in new ways. All interviewers asked me to walk them through my resume and background. I also answered a few business questions that were specific to the knowledge area where I would be hired. Since that's what I had done for a number of years, none of those questions were "curve balls." Everyone that I met seemed engaged and also spoke with me about what led them to the team after coming from other sectors of business/academia. Not a difficult interview ... more an exciting conversation about personalities, professional goals, and the passions of like-minded people. (Granted, I love meeting people and talking about what I've done in the past, so most people might not have seen this as an fun / strait-forward interview the way that I did.)

Interview Questions

Ultimately, I did not accept the offer based on the compensation package, which is about 40% below what I was expecting based on my current and previous salary in an engineering / tech / innovation position. The offer was well below my original salary directly out of school with no experience (and my first job was even post-financial crisis!). More important to me than the money, I was worried that the caliber of coworkers / peers that would be recruited into the knowledge team would be below the skill level I am accustomed to based on the salary disparity.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2015.

Interview

A phone interview is schedule via email. You will confirm with the interviewer what day and time is best for the both of you. Upon receiving the call, the phone interview was short and sweet. It was slated for about 15 minutes and it barely went over. It was the expected interview questions. With proper preparation and research, the interview will be relatively painless.

Interview Questions

• How much are you expecting for your salary?   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews in the first round, 2 more in the second. Shockingly unprofessional throughout. They forgot they had scheduled my second round and didn't apologize (I had cancelled two other super-day interviews for the same day) and when they did reschedule (because I had scheduled my exploding offers around the original second round), they acted like I was a huge nuisance and uncommitted (first question in the interview: why am I here today?). Then I had to email and finally call for 3 days up until the evening of my deadline (facing radio silence) for them to (finally!) reject me. Also wasn't reimbursed for my first round travel, but apparently that's industry standard. I really liked the people I had met from BCG and was super-excited (and prepared) for the interview, but the process really soured me. In retrospect, I feel guilty for keeping my other offers waiting for a firm that treats its tentative future hires so badly.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied online. Invited to their office for first round. 2 in-person interviews, 45 minutes each, 1:1, behavioral + case. Nothing was out of the ordinary with cases. One case was about revenue growth, the other was about cutting cost. One interviewer has MBA, the other is a PhD. The whole interview process was fast. Heard back next working day.

Interview Questions

• Routine behavioral questions. One did ask about something on my resume.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Campus recruiting. Process took a 1-2 months (due to scheduling conflicts). Had 2 back to back interviews with project managers in their New York office. Both interviews dived straight into case questions - not completely straightforward, but they tried to guide you a little if you need it (not just you talking at your interviewer). Case interview was followed by a couple of 'fit' interview and questions about previous experiences in team settings, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a team setting and faced challenges. How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Summit, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. I just applied online from a college alumni career posting and then the interview was setup at the local or regional office of your choice. Interview was with a new consultant and a principal.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was challenging and very well organized. Throughout the process I was presented multiple opportunities to practice cases with employees. Everyone I spoke to during the process was very thoughtful and seemed to genuinely want me to succeed. During my last interview with a Senior Partner, it was described to me that BCG invests heavily in its people, including prospective employees. After I accepted my offer, I received congratulation e-mails and phone calls from majority of the individuals that I had met during the process. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would members of your past teams describe you? Give examples of how you demonstrated those characteristics.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

First round of interviews is comprised of two back-to-back interviews, each with about 15 minutes of personal questions (ie: "name a time when you led a group to achieve a tangible goal.") The second part is a 25 minute case question.

Interview Questions

• "Name a time when you failed." and the case portion in general   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews. First one on campus consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with a Project Leader and Principal. Second interivew consisted of 3 45 minute interviews in the office I applied to, 2 of which were with Partners and one with a Principal. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of the typical interview (tell me about yourself, why consulting, why BCG, tell me about a time when... etc.) and a case interview (suppose X company is thinking about expanding into Y market - should they do it?) that was very difficult.