Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Average Difficulty
465 candidate interviews

Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2008.

Interview Details – All of the communications were highly professional. The interviews were typical of what one would expect, 2 behavioral/case interviews in the first round and 3 behavioral/case interviews in the third round. Preparation is a must to perform well, however having a positive attitude along with some luck always helps. The number of interviews is helpful in getting multiple opportunities to show one's skills; conversely each interview provides a further opportunity to fail. In order to obtain an offer, every interview must go reasonably well.

Interview Question – The interviewee needs to know his/her resume backwards and forwards. Based on my resume, I was asked what my two favorite authors are, why that is so, and what I had read most recently by them. I did not expect the question to be so detailed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2008.

Interview Details – Applied to the london office and had a first round interview in the San Francisco office since I was living there at the time. Had a 1hr numerical test which was fine, have to think quickly but finished it with enough time to check answers. Then had a 1:1 interview with partner which was combination of personal experience and case interview. Totally messed up the case interview - panicked when i knew i was missing the key question to ask and couldn't work out what it was. in the end the guy told me what the answer was and i knew there and then i hadn't made it through to the next round!!! Definitely will prepare more thoroughly this time around!

Interview Question – An elevator company wants to know why their sales have fallen and with it their profits. quantify the loss they have made and tell me how we need to get around it.   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

Interview Details – very organized hiring process. two case interviews with two different consultants on real cases worked on in the past. cases were very solution driven. fit interview to start that focused on who you are and your motivations not just career wise. very professional and cordial interviewers. creative answers and thoughts well received.

Interview Questions

• What skill would you need to work on most in starting this position?   View Answer
  • How do you manage your work life balance?   View Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Milano (Italy)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very difficult interview, since some (but not all) interviewers were abrasive. There is an expectation to be very quick and quantitatively accurate. There's a strong focus on the cases, with less time devoted to the experience part of the interview (which included topics on leadership experience and achievements).

Interview Question – What was your biggest achievement?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Atlanta, GA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – The HR folks here are top notch, and they go out of their way to sell you on the interview experience. Absolutely best in class HR.

Phone screen interview was mostly behavioral and verification of background, experience, and general fit.

Two weeks later, was flown to the Atlanta office for a series of 4 1:1 interviews with directors/partners.
Interviews here were case based and "think on your feet" type situations. The last interview was down right impossible as it was about an industry I knew nothing about. I thought I had completely bombed the interview, but ended up getting the offer.

Interview Question – Case interview:   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I took an offer with another management consulting firm.

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

Interview Details – The person interviewing me did everything he could to make me feel uncomfortable, that was I think part of his strategy. I think I could have performed well given a bit more space to breathe. I wish I could have been interviewed at least by one other person. It felt like my interviewer was in a hurry to get me out of there before I started talking, and to be honest he felt snooty and arrogant. I was told to try again in a few years, I most likelly will not.

Interview Question – Work out complex revenues/costs?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2010.

Interview Details – BCG does a standard case study intereview. Preparing is an absolute must. I know many people do not prepare, but I certainly did and I performed much better because of it. Also remember that doing case studies at home is not the same as doing the studies in an interview. Make sure you time yourself and put yourself in stressful conditions. As for the regular, non-case study portion, minimal preparation is necessary. "Tell me your greatest achievement", "When you failed", etc...

Interview Questions

Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – I got an invitation for a job interview through participation in a workshop. Interview process consisted of 2 interview rounds on two different days.
First round: introductory presentation of the firm, two 1to 1 interviews. Personal fit questions, and case in each. Impression: positive, the interviewer were friendly and supportive. Cases were not difficult. First firm trading steel tries to reduce the cost - the answer more or less to reduce administration cost. Second case: supply chain track production was taking more days than the competetive firm. The answer - the orders for the suppliers were sent too late.

Second round much more aggressive and less friendly. X-Ray personal fit questions, much harder cases. the interviewer were not that supportive anymore. 4 Interviews: first one included only personal fit. In other three much harder cases. much less initial information and almost no support from the interviewers. First case - Beton production in Germany - market size for a new beton type. Second case two action houses - compare the trade figures and question whether to exclude the items under 5 euros from the inside-trade.
Third case - opera and opportunity to reduce cost - increase sales.

Interview Question – Should the company produce a new type of concrete for German market? This type is characterized by flat and smooth surface without any additional polishing but can be produced at 20% additional cost.   View Answer

Management Consultant Interview

Management Consultant
Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – The test is an online test. They provide you with their own computer and the test have about 23 questions. Time limit is only 45 minutes. If you pass this, then you will have to go to case interview stage. Case interview have 2 stages, stage 1 and 2. You can study cases interview on their website. If you pass this then congratulation you'll get an offer.

Interview Question – It's an online test with 23 questions and time limit 45 minutes   View Answers (2)

Associate Interview

Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – Really intense company. Really intense interview. First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case interviews with two different people, both holding at least an MBA. It was exciting though, doing case interviews with really smart and seasoned professionals. Definitely be prepared to do some calculations (bring paper and pencil, of course).

Interview Question – Asked to analyze a business case where a large manufacturer of packaging products used to face minor competition, but more recently faces new entrants and increased competition. Asked to think about why this might be the case.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!