Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
    Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
    I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
    Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions
    • No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand.

The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced.

The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs.

The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

Applied online. Resume, cover letter and transcripts. Invited to the 1st round. 3 interviews, half personnality questions half case study. Pretty straightforward. The case questions are not the hardest, however you need to get them right. The math is also quite straightforward, no trick questions or hidden points, however you must be on top of it. My first interviewer got me pretty offset, and it spiraled down from there and I wasn't able to perform on the 2 following interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If I would call your previous boss right now, what would he tell me about you ?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Initially took part in on campus networking, then resume drop, then first round interview. Did no extra informationals, but would probably have helped. I did two back to back interviews, each with a behavioral and a case. Cases were certainly tricky; good preparation is essential. I used Case In Point and other resources and they helped a lot. Interviewers were great people, very laid back and made the interview much more easy and less stressful.

Interview Questions
    • No incredibly difficult ones. Maybe "tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to a higher level" or influence someone/create buy in - have a good story for those!   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Applied through on-campus college recruiting. Had 2 case interviews. Very polite people. 5 mins fit, 25 mins case for each interview. Didn't get 2nd round call, flubbed the math in one of my cases.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something interesting about yourself that is totally unrelated to consulting.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter
    No test
    2 case studies in the first round
    Case 1: Real estate client wanting to increase revenue
    Case 2: Competitive strategy for a Pharma client to a new entrant

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions
    Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions
    • A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question

Summer Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

I went through the standard recruiting process for current first-year MBA students. I went to an large informational meeting, had office hours with someone from the firm in person, spoke with BCG consultants on the phone who were working in areas i was interested in, etc. I probably had met a dozen BCG employees and had 1/2 hour conversations with 7 of them before submitting my application. I think this is important not because of the value of the networking, but because it helps you understand why BCG is the right place for you.

I had first-round interviews in early January. Two 45-minute interviews. The first 15-20 minutes were a behavioral/fit interview, the rest was a case. I found out the next day that I had made it through to the "Decision Round" interview which was held the following Friday in the office for which I was interviewing. There were 3 options for times during that day -- 8:00, 10:30, and 1:30. I started at 1:30, had two interviews similar to the first round (behavioral/case), and then met less formally with two other people -- one was the head of the office, the other was a senior principal. I got the call with good news less than 15 minutes after I walked out of the office.

I did probably 30-40 cases in preparation. It felt like in the cases generally they were really testing to see to what extent you were really grappling with the problem vs simply working through the case. The DR interviews were slightly more wide open. More about "How should we think about this?" rather than "Get to the right answer in the next 7 minutes."

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Interview Questions
    • Know your story and why BCG/consulting is the right next step for you.   Answer Question
    None. Maybe over start date? None for summer positions.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

I was invited to the first round of interviews, which consisted of two case studies with consultants, and one online case. The case studies went as follows: tell +- 10 minutes about your resume and answer 2/3 personal questions ('Why do you want to work at BcG?', 'Tell me a situation in which you managed to convince team members'), 20-30 +- working on a case, and +-5 minutes to ask questions. The online case took 45 minutes, and consisted of 23 multiple choice questions, all about one particular case. The test included tasks such as: calculate the ratio of product cost in situation A to the product cost in situation B, calculate the average gross profit margin, etc.

The people, except one interviewer, seemed very reasonable and nice to talk to. I think you have to be a bit lucky with your interviewers. Their judgments are the most important, and it is nice if you have a spontaneous, interesting interviewer that gives you some affirmation. I had one that gave me such little information about a case, that it took me great difficulty to give a reasonable answer.

Interview Questions
    • Name one example in which you were working in a group, and in which you had a conflict with a group member. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer
    • Name three things that you are very proud of   Answer Question