Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
472 candidate interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – Case interview conducted by consultants, principals and partners current working at the BCG office in Sao Paulo. Additional interview with HR as a final check. The best way to prepare is by studying and practice case interviews, there are tons of case study books online

Interview Question – Typical case interview process, no surprises here   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Question – for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Question – The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Question – How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Consultant
Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was applying off season so I approached a Partner via my extended network. They liked my profile. Since I was applying off recruiting season and 1 year after graduating from my MBA it took them over a month to schedule the first round of interviews. After the first round with a Principal and a Consultant I passed to the second round.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and found out it was through an outside consulting firm. I had a phone interview, one in person interview and another phone interview. The phone interviews were general (tell me about yourself, what brought you to BCG, can you talk about X experience at Y place, etc.).

The in-person interview was more extensive. Questions about work history, specific projects I had done, how did I feel about doing certain tasks that would be required in this role, what information did I feel was relevant if a consultant needed more information about Department of Z in the US government. All three interviewers (I only had one interviewer per round, the phone interviews were with women, the in-person one was with a man) were all polite and nice and I felt it was genuinely pleasant conversations with each of them.

I did feel that the in-person interviewer (whom the incumbent would be working with) and I did just did not connect and I was distinctly less interest interested in the job as I advanced through the interview rounds. I somewhat suspect that particular experiences on my resume were of interest to this interviewer, but not necessarily as a means for actually hiring a candidate (more like we had something unique in common). However, this is strictly personal speculation as the recruiter informed me he had no specific feedback about my application/interview style.

They have a nice office and the front desk person was also quite personable.

I'm not sure if I would have accepted the offer, but for the right personality and person, this place could be a great fit.

Interview Question – None were highly unusual. If you've been on interviews before or have experience with this type of organization, it probably won't stand out. However, as this would have been a new field for me, I may not have received any curve ball questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Consultant Interview

Summer Consultant
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Round- 2 back to back case interviews with project managers. Interview lasted 45 minutes. Had a few behavioural questions like why consulting, why bcg. 2nd round: 4 back to back interviews with 4 partners. 3 of them were case interviews, covered a range from market sizing to new market entry and identifying root cause of profitability issue. Last interview was given large amount of data including annual reports and news clippings, and had to make a presentation within 45 minutes to partner highlighting key client issues. Everyone was really friendly, and of the highest intellect and calibre.The final decision was made within one week and received offer on the phone.

Interview Question – 5/6 interviews were business case interviews, one of them was a pure market sizing problem. One of the interviews , interviewer kept on asking what else , what else after i made my recommendation. He also made me make a visual representation of my solution to make it easier for the client to understand.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very good offer. No need for negotiation.

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Z├╝rich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – All in all 4 interviews: 3 with Partners, 1 with Principal
2 general interviews (with Partners) on project background: industries, project scope, deliverables etc.
2 interviews with cases:
- Cost analysis and improvements proposal for a bank IT organization
- Review and renegotiation approaches for a 3rd party outsourcing contracts

Interview Question – Share concrete examples, when your creativity help you to solve problem or overcome challenge.   View Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – BCG held a booth at a Job Fair where I dropped off my resume. I was later called back for a 20 minutes informal interview with one of the partners.

Interview Question – How does company X make money out of event Y.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Question – A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question