Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Summit, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. I just applied online from a college alumni career posting and then the interview was setup at the local or regional office of your choice. Interview was with a new consultant and a principal.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Had a total of 7 interviews (including 2 tests: witten case study and a computer math test). Everyone i spoke too was extremelly nice and polite. Cases are quiet tough, and require a lot of preparation and practice. The tests are pressure tests more than anything. GMAT style questions over a short period of time (less than 2 min per question). Overall a great experience.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and then secured an interview through a contact who know the partner in charge of recruiting. I was invited to first round of interviews. Interview stages Pre-screening: Resmue & Cover Letter Round 1: Online Potential Test + Case Interview Round 2: Written Case Interview + Case Interview Round 3: 2 Case Interviews

Interview Questions

• FIT: Tell me about yourself. Followed with, tell me more about your analytical skills.   1 Answer
    • CASE: US client losing sales due to competitor introducing substitute product. Should the firm start selling that product too? Involved market sizing, determining target market share to break even, determining viability of venture given lag time to reach full production.   2 Answers

Visiting Associate Interview

Interview

It was a mock interview offered to selected students during an on-campus event. Standard consulting interview: some fitting at the beginning (deliberately not CV-based), a business case (more like an estimation question) and time for some questions by me at the end. The interviewer stressed how all of the three phases are subject to evaluation.

Interview Questions

• How many weddings per year are celebrated in this country?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Resume screen followed by two rounds of interviews. Round 1 consisted of two on-campus interviews - one with a Consultant, one with a Project Leader. Each interview was 5-10 minutes of fit questions and 25-35 minutes of case interviews - cases were in-depth analyses, not brain teaser or market sizing style questions. I was notified I had been invited back for a second round the night that I completed my first round. They took place 2-3 weeks later at the office I was interviewing for (NYC). The second round consisted of three interviews - one with a Project Leader and two with Partners. Cases were much more open-ended / nebulous, and far more time was spent getting to know me and asking for questions. I was given my offer the very night I finished my interviews.

Interview Questions

• Our client is an electric car producer looking to introduce a new model. They have asked us to assess the viability and bottom line impact of this launch to support their go/no-go decision.   Answer Question
    • A European electronics manufacturer is experiencing declining sales despite increased marketing spend and top-rated products, both in terms of value and quality. The CEO has asked us to identify why revenues are falling and how to reverse the trend.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Given that this was an interview for a highly competitive, at-will paid internship position, there was no opportunity to negotiate.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied online. Invited to their office for first round. 2 in-person interviews, 45 minutes each, 1:1, behavioral + case. Nothing was out of the ordinary with cases. One case was about revenue growth, the other was about cutting cost. One interviewer has MBA, the other is a PhD. The whole interview process was fast. Heard back next working day.

Interview Questions

• Routine behavioral questions. One did ask about something on my resume.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The interview process was very professional and organized. Each one lasts about 45 minutes. The interviewers were quite experienced and nice, and they were quite fun to talk with. The experience was awesome.

Associate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter for a French speaking role. Three rounds - a translation test of English to French and French to English on the luxury goods market, 60 minute online case study followed by 2 video/phone interviews with HR and a team manager, then face to face interview with senior manager and service director. A lot of questions on research skills, interests in business and knowledge of databases. For the mini studies and the curveball question, the key is to be logical in your process.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the average operating margin of all the hairdressers in the UK? How would you assess the consumer beverage market in France? What is the size of the car loan market in the UK?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Diversity program for sophomores. First round was a low key group interview in their Boston office, and the second round was a 1 day superday with 2 case interviews (half fit, half case) in their New York office. Asked me about my work experience, school experience, then did the typical case questions. There was a pricing case and a M&A case.

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round (Videocall) : 2*45min with project leaders, case studies 2nd round (Dubai) : 1*45 min online case + 3*45 min interviews with seniors / partners 2nd round is usually passed directly in Dubai (flight & accommodation expensed). Really good experience, with smart and honest consultants who enjoy working in their company and in Dubai. Cases relatively easy (market entries, market sizing).