Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

First round was OCR, two interview each with 15 minutes of behavioral interview, 30 minute of cases. Straight numbers (though the case background was a little difficult to understand at first).
    Invited to final round the same Friday, one written case, one typical case of same format in the first round. Again straight numbers.
    Regardless of the fact that didn't get an offer, the recruiters and the consultants I met along the way are super friendly. Would apply for full-time

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

The first round interviews were 2 back to back 45 minutes each. 5-10 minutes were for behavioral/fit questions, 30 minutes dedicated to the case case, and the rest for questions the applicant has. Behavioral questions were pretty straightforward, the interviewer is just trying to get to know you and see how you work on teams. The cases themselves are not super tricky, as long as you have a clear structure and stay organized throughout it. A lot of graphs (you need to ask the right questions to get the chart data) and some math. Interviewers are there to guide you, not trick you. But that being said, the interviews are definitely interviewee-led.

Interview Questions

• When was a time an idea of yours at your last job received pushback, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Initially took part in on campus networking, then resume drop, then first round interview. Did no extra informationals, but would probably have helped. I did two back to back interviews, each with a behavioral and a case. Cases were certainly tricky; good preparation is essential. I used Case In Point and other resources and they helped a lot. Interviewers were great people, very laid back and made the interview much more easy and less stressful.

Interview Questions

• No incredibly difficult ones. Maybe "tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to a higher level" or influence someone/create buy in - have a good story for those!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Back-to-back 45-minute interviews for the first round. Some time was spent on behavioral questions, but the case was clearly the only thing of interest to the interviewers. For the cases, they seemed to want me to go on a very specific route (they had several charts that only made sense if they were presented in a certain order). Because the interviewers offered no direction beyond stating the initial problem, it took some trial and error to get on the right track.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you, as a leader, had to deal with a difficult teammate.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through university on-campus recruiting and heard back according to deadlines they had given. Had first round interview at university, after which I was invited to final round interview at office I had preferenced. Second round interviews were much more difficult than first round, but first round was honestly quite easy.

Interview Questions

• Business case concerning placement of specialty audio products in cars   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was given a weeks notice to interview. The interview consisted of an online test, an interview with a consultant, and an interview with a partner, all back to back. The consultant was super friendly, whereas the partner had a straight poker face the entire time. Overall I had a good experience- everyone in the office was super friendly- but after the cases felt like there was no way I would get the job (a bunch of my estimates were off, etc).

Interview Questions

• You look great on paper, but what are you like as a person?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation (internship)

Summer Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

I went through the standard recruiting process for current first-year MBA students. I went to an large informational meeting, had office hours with someone from the firm in person, spoke with BCG consultants on the phone who were working in areas i was interested in, etc. I probably had met a dozen BCG employees and had 1/2 hour conversations with 7 of them before submitting my application. I think this is important not because of the value of the networking, but because it helps you understand why BCG is the right place for you.

I had first-round interviews in early January. Two 45-minute interviews. The first 15-20 minutes were a behavioral/fit interview, the rest was a case. I found out the next day that I had made it through to the "Decision Round" interview which was held the following Friday in the office for which I was interviewing. There were 3 options for times during that day -- 8:00, 10:30, and 1:30. I started at 1:30, had two interviews similar to the first round (behavioral/case), and then met less formally with two other people -- one was the head of the office, the other was a senior principal. I got the call with good news less than 15 minutes after I walked out of the office.

I did probably 30-40 cases in preparation. It felt like in the cases generally they were really testing to see to what extent you were really grappling with the problem vs simply working through the case. The DR interviews were slightly more wide open. More about "How should we think about this?" rather than "Get to the right answer in the next 7 minutes."

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Interview Questions

• Know your story and why BCG/consulting is the right next step for you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Maybe over start date? None for summer positions.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question