Boston Consulting Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Application submission through school website and BCG website. They contacted me for a first-round interview, and informed me that a second-round interview would happen one week after that. For the final interview, the would fly me to their office for a formal interview. I only made it to the first round interview, but both interviewers were very nice and understand the situation I was in.

Interview Question – Case on different kinds of alcohol   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Interview Question – One time you did something with no supervision   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got an interview through a referral. All communications were very cordial, and my impression of the office culture was that it was surprisingly calm and upbeat. The interview process consists of two short interviews with different consultants. In each of the two, you briefly go through your resume and talk about your background, then delve into a case question. Although I was very nervous and faltered during the first interview, my interviewer was kind and offered help when I needed it. My second interview went much better — I would almost say it was fun, and my interviewer was very friendly. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Question – My first question was essentially a pure math question, and it really threw me off.   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Question – Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Interview Question – The math was actually unexpectedly straightforward   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – First and final round interviews were a week apart. Hiring process took a month overall.

Interview Question – Standard consulting interview. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Summer Associate

Interview Details – I interviewed on campus and then had a final round at the office I applied to. The guys I interviewed with were great, with tons of interesting experiences and insights about a career in consulting.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you as a leader had to prove yourself   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – They are super nice. They guide you through the case and make you feel very welcome.

Interview Question – There were standard question and nothing too difficult. I just botched up because it was my first ever case interview :(   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Question – Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed at the BCG office in Philadelphia. Interviewers were very professional, nice, and encouraging. I enjoyed the experience. I kind of bungled the first interview a bit which is why I think I didn't make it to the second round.

Interview Question – Tough case on airplane company. Lots of synthesis required in terms of charts and data; the math was fine, just being able to keep the information together was a bit difficult.   Answer Question