Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.8

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Very efficient process. Applied on campus, was contact after 6 days for an on-campus interview. The interview includes 2 back-to-back interview. The case itself was not hard, the hard part was for you to take charge and explain areas you want to explore. In other words, the analysis was not difficult, but to ask the right questions to extract the right data was the challenging part.
    The interviewers were extremely nice. Having been through the dreaded stress test interviews for other firms, I found BCG's interviews to be very pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a bar chart and had to struggle a bit to figure out what new meaning the graph shed on our current business situation   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Applied on line, got a first round interview within 3 weeks. Interview is basically 45 minutes of case solving and some fit questions. A week later had a final round interview was notified after 5 days that I had no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Fit questions were most about experiences while working in a team.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First, an email to request and phone interview. Then if all goes well an in-person interview with the broader team and HR member. I met with three team members and one HR consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone had the same questions because they read it off of a sheet that HR printed out for them. It was repetitive and insincere.   View Answer

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2014.

2 days after submitting my online application I received an email invitation for an interview which took place two days after. The process was pretty fast and well organized (received interview invitation first, after agreeing on date and time received interview confirmation with all relevant information). Overall the interview went well. It was a friendly professional atmosphere with standard interview questions - nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a situation in which something unexpected happened and you had to react quickly. What did you do? How was the outcome?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Questions
    • for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied via ADC recruiting at my university. Within two weeks I was notified of an interview the next week. Two simple profitability cases and fit interviews. Second round interview was with two principals, cases were relatively straightforward. Third round with managing partner consisted of creating a business plan in a different era.

Interview Questions
    • A 'just brainstorming' question that turned into a case.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2014.

Applied online and found out it was through an outside consulting firm. I had a phone interview, one in person interview and another phone interview. The phone interviews were general (tell me about yourself, what brought you to BCG, can you talk about X experience at Y place, etc.).

The in-person interview was more extensive. Questions about work history, specific projects I had done, how did I feel about doing certain tasks that would be required in this role, what information did I feel was relevant if a consultant needed more information about Department of Z in the US government. All three interviewers (I only had one interviewer per round, the phone interviews were with women, the in-person one was with a man) were all polite and nice and I felt it was genuinely pleasant conversations with each of them.

I did feel that the in-person interviewer (whom the incumbent would be working with) and I did just did not connect and I was distinctly less interest interested in the job as I advanced through the interview rounds. I somewhat suspect that particular experiences on my resume were of interest to this interviewer, but not necessarily as a means for actually hiring a candidate (more like we had something unique in common). However, this is strictly personal speculation as the recruiter informed me he had no specific feedback about my application/interview style.

They have a nice office and the front desk person was also quite personable.

I'm not sure if I would have accepted the offer, but for the right personality and person, this place could be a great fit.

Interview Questions
    • None were highly unusual. If you've been on interviews before or have experience with this type of organization, it probably won't stand out. However, as this would have been a new field for me, I may not have received any curve ball questions.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus, standard initial round of two case interviews. Lots of feedback provided. Then an additional case prep and second round which consistent of three case interviews. People were very friendly. May be due to the fact that people were recruiting on campus. I interviewed from DC for New York.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2014.

I got my resume into the recruiting cycle through a connection. I was told there would be at least two interview rounds, with 2 to 3 interviews at each stage. People were very nice, and they tried to help candidates feel comfortable

Interview Questions
    • The business case was a little confusing because it focused on an example "client" who also had clients, and I'm a little embarrassed to say it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind.   Answer Question