Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

You will have two 45-minute back-to-back interviews, including both case (35 minutes) and behavioral (10 minutes). The cases can be confusing if you don't clarify terms you don't know of. Be sure you communicate the process well. Listen and observe the interviewers. Sometimes they will pressure test you. Behavioral part is a typical process.

Knowledge Analyst (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a 3 part interview. First, a phone screening. Second, an in-person interview at the office. Third, a video interview. They are mostly just trying to determine who you are, what you're looking for, and if you'll be a good fit. Be ready to discuss your resume, accomplishments, and some behavioral/situational type questions. Nothing crazy. My interviewers were very personable.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation where you have multiple time sensitive matters that need to be done?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

This interview process was frustrating as the "fit" questions were kept to a minimum. The interviewers seemed rush to get to the next person and would cut off your question at the end to start ushering you out the door. Although the process was efficient and only took a few days, you do not seem like an individual but a number to them.

Interview Questions

• The only question was "tell me about a time someone disagreed with you." Other than that, it was a case.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Went through on campus recruiting of a top tier university. Submitted resume, cover letter and transcript through their website and campus recruiting website. They invited me to their local office for a mock interview about a week before the real thing. It took them a weekend plus a couple of days to get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked on a team that was functioning well   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Diversity program for sophomores. First round was a low key group interview in their Boston office, and the second round was a 1 day superday with 2 case interviews (half fit, half case) in their New York office. Asked me about my work experience, school experience, then did the typical case questions. There was a pricing case and a M&A case.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Summit, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took one week. It was a good experience. Two interviews on campus (both cases and fit) but focused on case. Next day I received a call that I had made it to the final round. The final round was four days later and took place at their offices. Final round consisted of three interviews (cases and fit).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and transcript online (but through my university). I was initially really excited when I went to their info session because the employees seemed very interesting and engaging and laid back. However, the first round of interviews was the complete opposite. I had two separate interviews which were about 45 minutes each: 15 minutes behavioral and a 30 minute case. My first interviewer was extremely rude and condescending. The second was very kind and really seemed interested in my answers and the different way I solved the case. Overall, I could tell I wasn't a good fit.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I found out a few days later that I had an interview and offering the chance for some practice interviews with people from the firm. I conducted 2 practice interviews with different people from the firm. I met a lot of people throughout the whole process First Round: Two 45-minute behavioral/case interviews with consultants from the firm. The cases were pretty different in nature, and you really need to structure your thoughts up-front in order to be successful. The first case had a lot of graphical exhibits from which you needed to do calculations, the second only had 1 exhibit. Make sure you tailor your structure to the problem! For example one of my cases really had to do with costs, and so if I had suggested we look at profitability, that would have been incorrect. • You get feedback from your interviewers after the first round. Take notes when they call you to chat about this, and make sure that you take the feedback into account when preparing for final round interviews. Final Round: One 45-minute behavioral/case interview, plus one 90-minute written case interview (45 minutes to prepare + 45 minute behavioral/case interview where you present etc.), this time with principals & partners from the firm. The biggest thing here is managing your time and discerning what's relevant information from the slide deck they give you. You are expected to select 4-6 relevant slides to go over with your interviewer, as well as craft an executive summary of your findings to explain your thought process. You also really need to be able to transition to the standard, oral case style after the written case. During the talk with the partner, it turns into more of a standard case, and then the second interview is again an oral case. • I also really want to stress the importance of networking. I do not believe that I would have gotten the offer without the networking that I had done throughout the whole process. Also, if you don't hear back day-of your decision-round interview, don't despair because there is still a chance that you can get the offer. I heard back 1 week after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• • Name a time when you set a lofty goal for yourself and how you planned for that goal • Why consulting • Describe a leadership position that you've had or when you've led a team. What was a challenge you encountered during this, and how did you over come it? • What are the components of a good team? How do you know when a team is working well together? • What is your usual role on a team? How do you contribute? • How do you organize yourself and make sure that you are hitting a long-term goal? Describe a time during which you have done this. Generally, they're trying to get a feel for your personality and if you're going to be a good fit at BCG. Have really good questions prepared, and do your research to figure out what it is they're looking for so that you can say the right things   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Write Cover letter and submit Resume. You are invited to their offices to take the test. Had some travel the first time because their system was not working. I had to come another day.