Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had two 45-minute interviews, back-to-back. The first interviewer spent most of the time on the case, and it was really bizarre. It was unlike anything I had practiced, and I knew I messed up on a simple math calculation. The second interview had a VERY straight-forward case which I think I did pretty well on. Both asked me a few questions about my resume before starting the case, and then I was given a few minutes at the end to ask them questions.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very supportive, but intense. After my resume was selected, received two offers from the firm (from diversity recruiting and in general) for mock interviews - one over phone, the other in person in their local offices. Then a local reception for interviewees to network with consultants around the country, then the in person interview: fit questions and two case interviews with two separate consultants from different offices.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time where you played a role on a team and it was successful.   Answer Question

Social Media Assistant (TEMP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The recruiter described the position and what the were looking to accomplish within the next year. They asked a lot about past experiences and personal strengths/weaknesses. They also asked if you looked at their social media and what you thought of their various channels. Encourage you to ask a lot of questions and they expect a fair amount of prior research beforehand.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting at top-10 university. Process took a little over 2 weeks. First round interviews were on-campus and consisted of two 45-minute interviews with Project Leaders. Both spent 5-10 minute upfront on behavioral questions before jumping into cases. BCG cases are very candidate-led, so having a strong structure upfront is key to being able to crack the cases. I made my way through both first round cases pretty quickly, which gave me lots of time to just chat with my interviewers and ask them questions at the end of each interview. I received a call the day after my interview informing me I had made it to the second round in my preferred office. One of my interviewers also called before my second round to give me interview feedback and also told me that BCG decision round interviews place a very strong emphasis on fit with the firm. Second round interviews were on-site at the BCG office. My decision round interviews were the same format as my first round (two 45-minute interviews--apparently format can vary between each office though) and were with partners in the office. In my experience, my interviewers in the second round spent a lot more time casually chatting/asking fit questions than my first round interviewers. The cases were also lot less structured than the ones I saw in the first round, with partners often deviating from calculations, etc to ask me to brainstorm ideas. I received a call later that day from one of the partners who interviewed me and was extended an offer.

Intern Interview

Application

Interview

You will have two 45-minute back-to-back interviews, including both case (35 minutes) and behavioral (10 minutes). The cases can be confusing if you don't clarify terms you don't know of. Be sure you communicate the process well. Listen and observe the interviewers. Sometimes they will pressure test you. Behavioral part is a typical process.

Knowledge Analyst (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a 3 part interview. First, a phone screening. Second, an in-person interview at the office. Third, a video interview. They are mostly just trying to determine who you are, what you're looking for, and if you'll be a good fit. Be ready to discuss your resume, accomplishments, and some behavioral/situational type questions. Nothing crazy. My interviewers were very personable.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation where you have multiple time sensitive matters that need to be done?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

This interview process was frustrating as the "fit" questions were kept to a minimum. The interviewers seemed rush to get to the next person and would cut off your question at the end to start ushering you out the door. Although the process was efficient and only took a few days, you do not seem like an individual but a number to them.

Interview Questions

• The only question was "tell me about a time someone disagreed with you." Other than that, it was a case.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Went through on campus recruiting of a top tier university. Submitted resume, cover letter and transcript through their website and campus recruiting website. They invited me to their local office for a mock interview about a week before the real thing. It took them a weekend plus a couple of days to get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked on a team that was functioning well   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Diversity program for sophomores. First round was a low key group interview in their Boston office, and the second round was a 1 day superday with 2 case interviews (half fit, half case) in their New York office. Asked me about my work experience, school experience, then did the typical case questions. There was a pricing case and a M&A case.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Summit, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took one week. It was a good experience. Two interviews on campus (both cases and fit) but focused on case. Next day I received a call that I had made it to the final round. The final round was four days later and took place at their offices. Final round consisted of three interviews (cases and fit).