Boston Consulting Group

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   View Answer
    Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Began with an online application followed by a phone interview with a series of behavioral questions. After that there were two rounds of case interviews. The case interviews were each 45 minutes and started with casual conversation and standard behavioral questions and then there was the case. The cases were never too bad, but make sure you understand how to structure your solution and really talk out what you're thinking and doing so the interviewer can follow you.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you had to change your stance on an issue?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

You must must must practice case studies with a partner, it's not really enough to just read Case in Point (although it's a good starting point). You can't really be over prepared. Make sure to be organized and logical in your approach.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First round interview: 2 back to back interviews with associates doing business cases. Spent a little time in the conference room mingling and eating the provided burritos.

Wait 7-8 days...call from the recruiter asking me to come back in. He gave me feedback on what to do better and what I did well. Second round interview scheduled for two weeks later.

Second (final) round interview: 3 back to back 45 min interviews with 2 case team leaders and 1 principal. Slightly more time spent on fit, but the case is the focus.

Most important advice given to me: you have to nail ALL THREE cases to get the offer: I only nailed two, ce la vie...

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing surprising if you're trying to get into consulting. Very little time spent on fit questions, just your average case studies. Lots of graphs...   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The whole process took about a month. Applied online to a SEA office, was contacted about a week after my application. Interviews were done in a top notch hotel, very organized, very nice people.

No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Called for a phone interview and asked questions about my resume and background. This was follow by a Skype interview and talked about my ambitions, background again and then he asked a case question.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how a country would expand it's supermarket, grocery stores in other countries   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Initial 45 test questions case. After one week, first round of interviews with consultants, one week later another round of interviews with 2 principals. Failed at the end of one business case. I was afterwards told that I would need more practice and I should try to practice a little bit with a book like Case in Point.

It is not as difficult as it could seem at first. Best advice I could give is not to be nervous. I wasn't and even though it was first interview in my life, I got through the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • If you were CEO of a very successful company, what would be your first three policies.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

One phone call with another product manager, one video screening with a senior product manager, and then three in-person interviews at BCG DV (Digital Ventures) offices. Early discussions were more about my professional experience, figuring out cultural fit, and aligning my expectations to the type of work I would expect at BCG DV. In-person interviews were more technical.
    Process was at times very slow with long periods of silence from their internal recruiters, but each individual I spoke with was highly professional and courteous. Communication was done almost entirely through my recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected if you've properly prepared for a product manager or consulting interview. The most difficult questions were vague "how would you attack this problem" scenarios. Interviewer described a client challenge and the industry landscape, and was looking for a quickly outlined plan to begin testing and iterating on theories.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Really important to network beforehand. Very hard to secure an interview without getting to know the people in the office you want to work in. The interview is devided into 2 parts: fit, and case. The fit part should be about 10-15 minutes. You will need to walk the consultant through your resume, and answer question about your background. The case is a straight up consulting case.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.