Boston Consulting Group

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.8

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Following my internship at BCG, I was offered to join BCG full-time in Europe. I applied for a transfer to one of the American offices via email. I was asked to come to the office to meet some people for interviews a couple of days after my first inquiry.

Interview Questions
    • No case-interviews, just a friendly getting-to-know each other.   Answer Question
    BCG offers little room for negotiation. I was told the only slack you have is the entry-level. I did not negotiate, however.

Full Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had a BCG phone chat after I submitted my application online. I was a bit confused about this. But a phone chat is just that, a chat, not a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, it was a conversation. I had some questions prepared and I used the opportunity to talk about my experience and what I am looking for.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewed on university campus for first round interview. Interviewed by 2 different people, each was 45 minutes long. The interviews had a few behavioral questions followed by a case and then time for questions and answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when it was difficult to be a leader   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions
    • No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

1st round of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. Standard behavioral questions and a case.
    2nd round of 3 back to back 45 minute interviews. Requires more creativity. They usually let the candidates know about the good news the evening of the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions are not extremely difficult but they do require you to learn about a new industry quickly. One of the most difficult part is to perform well for 3 hours long.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

I attend a target school, so I was able to speak directly with the recruiting manager and a few consultants (through information sessions) before applying. Once selected for an interview, I did so at the local office before a final round at my office of choice:

Round one (two interviews: 15 minutes of fit, 30 minutes of case) - The interview begins as soon as your interviewer picks you up from the waiting area. Start making conversation right away! As soon as we sat down, my interviewer already started to make comments on her notepad from our interaction in the hallway. Both interviewers had no unexpected questions, if you search for "fit interview questions" on the internet, and read through them, you'll be fine. Although, my second interviewer did try to give me a slight stress test with 3 or 4 "what else" questions, but nothing more intense than that. Cases were a lot more simple than the practice cases, if you're breezing through the LBS casebooks, you'll be fine. Each one had 1-2 exhibits with very straightforward math. Try and be friendly, and work some humor into the conversation and you'll be fine.

Round two (same format as first round, with a written case preceding one of the interviews) - The case interview was not as bad as expected. You have 45 minutes to read over the material. Treat it like a normal case...read over the prompt and identify the question, spend 60 seconds building your framework and deciding what you'll need to know to answer your question, use 5 minutes to go through the slides to read titles and decide what you'll want to keep, spend another 5 minutes digesting the slides you deemed worthwhile, spend 10-15 minutes diving into those slides and calculating anything you may need, spend 10-15 minutes building your story/answer, spend 5 minutes practicing your story, and take any additional time to review the slides one last time for any additional insight you could add now that you have an answer. After that, the rest of the interviews are pretty fun in this round. Regardless of what happens, they want you to walk away with a good impression of the firm, so you will have fun in this round. The people are extremely nice and the fit questions are well within you comfort zone.

Interview Questions
    • Fit: Why consulting? Why BCG? Tell me about a time you had an impact on a team? Tell me about a time that you caused a team to struggle or fail.

Case: Risk/benefit, Profitability (with retailer adoption twist), Go/no go market entry, Profitability

View Answer
    No negotiation on salary, but with a competing offer, they're willing to be flexible on a number of other factors.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on-campus recruiting from an Ivy League school. Had 2 back-to-back, 45min interviews with 15min on fit questions and 30min on a case. One interview was with a Project Leader and the other was with a Consultant. Very straightforward cases and general consulting questions (Why consulting? When have you worked on a team with difficult team members? etc.) Heard back within a week that I made it to final rounds at my top office choice. Was flown out and final round interviews were the same as first round, although they were with higher-ups in the firm.

Consultant Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After providing me with a description of the job, she interviewed me over the phone. She then scheduled an interview for me with someone in HR. Neither interview was complicated, just basic fit questions, resume walk-through, etc. The first in-person interview was more difficult and in two parts. First, I had to complete a 45 minute skill assessment that involved researching Proctor & Gamble, their top 3-5 competitors, and bench-marking them in a fictional report. It was straightforward, and they provided you with the information they wanted to find. The second part of the interview involved two associates who talked through a case about the pencil industry in Nigeria with me to analyze my thought process. They were both fairly friendly and engaging. When I got called in for the final round, however, I was given a stress interview by one person. She asked how I would analyze the cosmetics market in a particular country in Eastern Europe. In a stress interview, the interviewer acts critical, disinterested, and even condescending to assess your reaction to pressure, so I highly recommend preparing for that. I didn't expect it in an interview for a research position, and I think I was too thrown off and intimidated to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you analyze to create a report on the cosmetics industry in Ukraine, and what order of importance would you rank them in?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question