Boston Consulting Group

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

First round interview consists of two interviews with principals or project managers. Each interview will involve about 10 minutes of 'fit' questions (tell me about a time when....) followed by a 30 minute case study and then a few minutes for you to ask questions. The second round interview is the same but consisted of three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions
    • When have you identified an underperforming team member and what did you do to improve their performance?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Three interviews and an online test. The first round was pure stress interviews. It consisted of questions about me, success failure etc in addition to case questions. The second interview was at the firm. It consisted also of questions about me and cases. The cases were a bit harder in the second round. The second round also included an online test which relatively easier than the PST test for McKinsey.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First I had to do the new BCG test (which is very similar to the McKinsey one, but all questions are about one single case). They didn't really seem to put much weight to it. I asked afterwords and my interviewers didn't even know how I did. Only if you failed, they would know. Then there was a case study with a Project Manager. Went really well. Second round was an In-basket exercise (which I messed up) and another case study with a Partner. Nailed the case study again, but kind of messed up some calculations in the in-basket. They made me re-run the second round, cause they thought I had a lot of potential but they couldn't give me an offer yet since I had to nail analytics as well. In the second second round I had bad interviewers. Very uninterested and unfriendly. (May have something to do with the fact that they only got notified the day itself that they had to give me an interview, because of the re-run). Didn't get the offer.

Consultant Interview

The first round of interviews consists of two interviews (with two different BCG employees), with three parts each. The first is a behavioral part, which is more like a conversation about items in your resume. The second part is a typical business case, as used by most business consulting firms in their recruiting process. The third part is about a 5 minute window to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • The business case part is difficult: I would recommend studying beforehand, but it is also interesting and challenging.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions
    • First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Shortly after having submitted my application, I was contacted via email, and notified that my profile had been evaluated positively, and I would have been contacted for an interview. Several months then went by, during which I was contacted two more times to confirm their interest in my profile, and finally I was invited for interview. I had three rounds of interviews, on three consecutive fridays. In the first round, before meeting a senior manager, I did a computer based case. In the second and third rounds I met managers of increasing seniority. In most interviews I discussed my background and professional experience, then went on to do a case, and was offered to ask questions on BCG.

Interview Questions
    • Rather than unexpected, I was surprised by the relevance of asking questions on BCG and the job. This is way more important here than in hiring processes for other companies.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I interviewed at BCG London as a PhD in November-December 2014.

First round: 1 case interview (45min) 1 written numeracy test (45min)
    Second round: 2 case interviews (45min each) rather quantitative
    Final round: 2 partner interviews (45 min each), more focus on business understanding, communication, career motivations.

My BCG case interviews were structured as follows: 15 min of "fit" questions (focussed mainly on discussing examples of leadership and teamwork), 25 min of a case study (expect to be given exhibits at some point in the case in the first two rounds, as in an interviewer-led case), and 5 minutes to ask questions. All cases presented are based on actual engagements your BCG interviewer participated in. They thus know every aspect of the case, which makes the interview very interesting, and it also means you might want to ask your interviewer about how her or his team approached the problem at the time.

The recruitment staff was very dedicated, professional, friendly and helpful. Interviewers were friendly too, and very sharp as you would expect. Minutes before your interviews, you will given an enveloppe giving a little bibliography of your interviewer. This is the occasion to anticipate on the question you might want to ask her or him, more than trying to guess what your case will be about.

In terms of average success rates, I would say that about 7% of applicants receive an invitation to the first round, about 50% of them make it to the second round (which I found surprising), and another 40% are selected to the final round. At this stage, this means that about 80-90 candidates remain in the game, which is less than 2% of the initial application pool.

In the final round, it seems that if you are brilliant in the two interviews you are basically offered a position (hence there is no quota applied as in previous rounds), so the number of offers varies, but it seems to be around 25-35 offers in the recent years (in London).

Interview Questions
    • What do you fail at doing in your job/studies?   View Answer

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Initial 45 test questions case. After one week, first round of interviews with consultants, one week later another round of interviews with 2 principals. Failed at the end of one business case. I was afterwards told that I would need more practice and I should try to practice a little bit with a book like Case in Point.

It is not as difficult as it could seem at first. Best advice I could give is not to be nervous. I wasn't and even though it was first interview in my life, I got through the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • If you were CEO of a very successful company, what would be your first three policies.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   View Answer
    Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).