Boston Consulting Group

465 candidate interviews

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – It was both very professional and a vey 'relaxed' atmosphere. I had two seperate case interviews: one with a consultant and one with a senior consultant from the firm, which were difficult and specified interviews. Although the questions were hard, the ambience was extremely relaxed. Overall it was a very nice experience

Interview Question – You've worked in teams before. Can you give me an example of a team you've worked in where you made a decision that improved the outcome of the teams assignment? (answer). Ok, thanks. Now give me an example where you've made a decision that disimproved the outcome.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Interview Question – Why would you choose BCG over Mc Kinsey?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Interview Question – Economic theroy   Answer Question

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – The recruitment process starts with a short math skills test. You have to answer correctly as many questions as possible in the alloted time. If you do well you get invited to the first round of interviews.

In the first round I was interviewed by a Consultant and a Project Leader. The first interview was more open-ended and consisted mainly in checking whether you had some understanting of basic bussiness concepts and why were you interested in the company (prepare this answer. Not just consulting, but BCG). The second one was about determining the market size for a specific economic activity (real estate developers, in my case).

The second round of interviews was with two principals and a partner. The first interview was about suggesting improvements to a company (a sandbox type of question, in my experience, I would guess the idea is to understand how you think), the second one was a brain teaser (think "How many tennis balls could you fit in a Boeing 787) while the third interview, with the partner, was about the strategy a retailer should follow to increase its sales.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy, but make sure to check the information available before you start making calculations. And, very important, don't get nervous or you'll end up missing a lot of critical information.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Miami, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – BCG came on campus. Resume got selected through the pool. Interview scheduled within two weeks of application.

Two rounds. First one was on campus. Two 30 minutes interview with 5-7 minutes of behavioral then a case study. Both interviews lasted more than 45 minutes.

Second round at the office. Three 30 minutes talk scheduled. This time emphasis more on fit but still a case study involved. Met with few other members at the office as well.

Impression: Super cool bunch of people. Very impressed. I like them better than McKinsey or Bain. Top notch firm...! Take an offer if you get it.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or trick question. Case study was straight forward. They try to help you along like you're working on an assignment together. Show them your work while discussing it. DO NOT mess up the simple math and do it on the fly. If you're making math related mistakes, you won't get a second round. Simple as that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm more interested in I-Banking than Consulting.

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by email 2 weeks later. I was told that they only have one interview date every month, and was then scheduled for two back-to-back case interviews at their office 2 months later. On the interview day, I was given some information on my interviewers before being led to the interview room. Unfortunately I did not make it pass this round, but was told that there would be 2 more rounds of interviews before the whole process is concluded.

Interview Question – A few motivation and behavioral questions, followed by business cases   Answer Question

Part-time Assistant Interview

Part-time Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – 15 min interview with 2 consultants and 1 recruiter

Interview Question – Mini case : What factors to look into when deciding entering a new location for the fast-food restaurant?   View Answers (3)

Tokyo (Japan)

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, was then invited to a face-to-face interview in the office. The 1st interview went pretty good. The interviewer was friendly and I was able to solve the case with little help. The 2nd interview was scheduled the following week. I had a terrible experience with this one. First, the interviewer was late for 10 min (not sure if he did it on purpose). Then when he finally arrived, he just gave me a stack of paper, asked me to solve the case, and said he would be back in 25 min to see what I have to say. So for the next half an hour, I was just sitting there, working on my paper test. The worst thing was that the whole thing was in Japanese, and I didn't get to ask any clarifying questions!!! When the interviewer came back to the room, he asked me to present my findings in Japanese (totally didn't expect that since the first two interviews were in English). After the case, we had a short talk and he asked me all the typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Solving the case in Japanese   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Interview Question – What do you know about private equity?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Question – A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer