Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Initially took part in on campus networking, then resume drop, then first round interview. Did no extra informationals, but would probably have helped. I did two back to back interviews, each with a behavioral and a case. Cases were certainly tricky; good preparation is essential. I used Case In Point and other resources and they helped a lot. Interviewers were great people, very laid back and made the interview much more easy and less stressful.

Interview Questions

• No incredibly difficult ones. Maybe "tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to a higher level" or influence someone/create buy in - have a good story for those!   Answer Question

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

There was 2 rounds of interviews, one on campus and one at the office. Each round had 2 45-minute interviews,each with a mix of behavioral questions and a case study. The 2nd round interviews were with Principals/Partners. It was definitely harder than the 1st round but I felt that it was more of a "could I stand to work with this person" test. Come with questions and curiosity about that person's work. It helps to have some insights into related industries that the partner may care about.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

First round was OCR, two interview each with 15 minutes of behavioral interview, 30 minute of cases. Straight numbers (though the case background was a little difficult to understand at first).
    Invited to final round the same Friday, one written case, one typical case of same format in the first round. Again straight numbers.
    Regardless of the fact that didn't get an offer, the recruiters and the consultants I met along the way are super friendly. Would apply for full-time

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

The first round interviews were 2 back to back 45 minutes each. 5-10 minutes were for behavioral/fit questions, 30 minutes dedicated to the case case, and the rest for questions the applicant has. Behavioral questions were pretty straightforward, the interviewer is just trying to get to know you and see how you work on teams. The cases themselves are not super tricky, as long as you have a clear structure and stay organized throughout it. A lot of graphs (you need to ask the right questions to get the chart data) and some math. Interviewers are there to guide you, not trick you. But that being said, the interviews are definitely interviewee-led.

Interview Questions

• When was a time an idea of yours at your last job received pushback, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Back-to-back 45-minute interviews for the first round. Some time was spent on behavioral questions, but the case was clearly the only thing of interest to the interviewers. For the cases, they seemed to want me to go on a very specific route (they had several charts that only made sense if they were presented in a certain order). Because the interviewers offered no direction beyond stating the initial problem, it took some trial and error to get on the right track.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you, as a leader, had to deal with a difficult teammate.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by HR after submitting my resume online. Then had 1 in person interview and 3 phone interviews over the course of 3 months. The overall experience was positive and the interviews weren't too hard - mostly asked behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Telephone Interview first of three interviews. I was contacted a week later informing me that they had chosen other candidates.The recruiter was monotone and asked over 8 questions, the interview lasted 35 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your past positions
      Describe how you are organized
      What is your weakness and what have you done to improve?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through university on-campus recruiting and heard back according to deadlines they had given. Had first round interview at university, after which I was invited to final round interview at office I had preferenced. Second round interviews were much more difficult than first round, but first round was honestly quite easy.

Interview Questions

• Business case concerning placement of specialty audio products in cars   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question