Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Questions
    • A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Full Time Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Very tough process with extremely brilliant people who make you feel that they are brilliant.
    You have to be completely exhaustive during the case, methodical, structured and seem confident.
    I really enjoyed the whole process.

The final round is very challenging. Case studies are more about brainstorming.

Good Luck

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to team up with people   View Answer

Associate Interview

applied through my school, had 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews in each round)

no negotiation

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Questions
    • I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter, received a response within a few weeks, had to wait another month or so to interview. Interviewed with two consultants, one business case, one brainteaser-type case, plus a few competency questions from each interviewer, plus the BCG numerical test at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time it was better to do something on your own than in a team.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Three stages. Initial problem solving and excel based testing. Second interview is case studies and general interview with managers. Final interview is with hiring partner.

Interview Questions
    • The problem solvers here are very hard and the case studies are not easy either. The interviewer will pressure but guide when needed.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Applied for associate campaign online.
    Only got to first round interviews.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

The hiring proces was as i had expected, although the interviewers were more friendly then I had anticipated. Overall I experienced the hiring and interview process as very pleasant. Focus was, next to the cases, on personal development. How did you develop over the past years, how would you like to develop yourself in the years to come, etc..

Interview Questions
    • Compared to about three years ago, what are three major changes that you, as a person, have been through, and how do you look back on these changes.   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible. Only about the start date.