Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.8

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2015.

Interview

The entire process took a bit long because I am currently working in a different country than the office I applied at. For the internship I went through 1 interview + 1 computer based test on the first round, 2 interviews on the second round and 3 interviews on the third round. Most of the interviews were standard BCG: 15 minutes fit, 30 minutes case, 15 minutes my questions.

During the first stage, a Principal of the firm was in London (I currently live in the UK) to do some business for the firm and gave me the first round interview, together with the problem solving test on the computer. I found the problem solving test as difficult as McKinsey PST: while you do have access to a calculator in this case, you also have 25% less time to go through the same amount of questions, and on top of that questions required you to navigate through multiple exhibits at the same time, not just the last one.

During the second stage, the HR agreed to wait until I was in my own country and had the second round directly in the office. Alternative would have been to have a conference call, but I preferred to be there in person. 2 interviews this time, standard format.

By the time I got to the third stage, I was back in the UK for work. This time the company wanted definitely to have me back in the office to meet the partners, therefore flew me in on the thursday to have the interview on the friday. First and third interview were again standard. During the second interview (with a senior partner & managing director) my interviewer wanted to make sure that given my background (engineering + phd in engineering) I really wanted to work in consulting. So basically he questioned me for 40 minutes on consulting, my motivation to do it, how do I understand the industry, what are the success factors in consulting (as an individual and as a firm), who are the main competitors, what are the challenges and the threats for BCG, what are the differences of consulting in the rest of the world and in the country where I applied. All of this was done in a skeptical and not friendly way, but I suspect he was grilling me to do some kind of stress testing and see if I could keep my cool with a difficult client.

HR was extremely supportive throughout the process, and every interviewer I met was very polite, interested in me and pleasant to have a conversation with. Excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• 1.Case questions
      2.Leadership fit question
      3.Achievement fit question (tell me of the achievement you are most proud of)
      4.Why consulting
      5.Why BCG
      6.Teamwork fit question
      7.Tell me about yourself and why the career change
      8.Why should I hire you
      9.See above for specific questions on consulting

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The In Basket case is really challenging. I made the mistake of underpreparing and was rightly rejected due to a bad performance. I would recommand going to website with in basket cases and doing them even if they are not related to consulting (since there is so few ressources on consulting in basket case)

Interview Questions

• Why did you present these slides the way that you did?   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview took forever to set-up - recruiter very hard to pin down. Lot of not returning emails. It's normal, but a drag. Once set-up, the interview was by phone. The person doing the interview was nice enough, but had definitely not reviewed my resume prior to the conversation and didn't seem to be entirely sure what position they were interviewing me for. Questions were pretty generic.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Got first phone interview from a recruiter. After the phone interview, they choose if they want to bring you back in. I spoke with a young HR girl. All questions were very situational and hard. You had to think of specific times from work and provide examples.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you used your intuition to make a decsision   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews. First one on campus consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with a Project Leader and Principal. Second interivew consisted of 3 45 minute interviews in the office I applied to, 2 of which were with Partners and one with a Principal. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of the typical interview (tell me about yourself, why consulting, why BCG, tell me about a time when... etc.) and a case interview (suppose X company is thinking about expanding into Y market - should they do it?) that was very difficult.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Zürich (Switzerland)) in April 2015.

Interview

Reguläre schriftliche Bewerbung
    2 Interviewrunden

First Round:
    Drei Gespräche mit Consultant, Projektleiter und Partner

Second Round:
    Drei Gespräche mit 1 Projektleiter und 2 Partner

Ca. 20-25 mins Persönlichkeit und 20-25 mins case.
    Atmosphäre durchwegs angenehm, jedoch hat jeder Interviewer seinen eigenen Stil. Sehr wichtig ist meiner Meinung nach, dass wirklich rüberkommt das man unbedingt zu BCG möchte.

Interview Questions

• Wenn Sie die Zeit zurückdrehen könnten: Was würden Sie anders machen?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was quick and included an introduction to case interviews workshop that allowed applicants to meet current employees. The HR team were very helpful but the interviewer feedback wasn't particularity helpful and sometimes ambiguous. Cases were left very open but the interviewers helped guide you to a certain extent. Overall I didn't have a bad experience but it could have been better.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation when working as a team that things didn't go as planned and how you helped your team overcome any problems.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

There were two interviewers. First part of each of the interviews is behavioral and the other part is Sum case. The First Lady was really nice and interesting but the second guy was just cold and couldn't wait to finish the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time things went wrong at work and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

Case + behavioral, nothing unexpected there. Fly in night before, fly out evening of. Enjoyed the experience. Was concurrently interviewing with life sci strat firms, so thrown off when received a life sci case. Went inappropriately deep, interviewer subsequently asked me to turn off my scientific mind and only use my business mind. Shouldn't have gone to the level of diagnostic rate/prevalence rate/disease severity/drug side effects etc.

Relative to M&B, BCG seemed the least organized/invested in the recruiting/interviewing process.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Lisbon (Portugal)) in July 2014.

Interview

The first step is to complete a computed-based test in their office to assess the problem solving capacity. I think it's a common procedure for any vacancy in BCG. It's not possible to use calculator or any electronic device apart from the computer where you are doing the case study. The test in timed and you only have 45 minutes so you fell under pressure while doing more or less complicated maths.

Interview Questions

• What's the final decision that you recommend to your client ?   Answer Question