Boston Consulting Group

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.8

Knowledge Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

This is one of the worst companies to interview with. My process was drawn out of three months after HR told me someone needed to be hired within a month. I went through six rounds of interviews. It started off with an analyst and the person who would be my line manager and then went up the food chain. All of the interviews were done over a skype type interface that worked terribly. I was led on and gave up a job offer for Booz Allen Hamilton just to hold out and hear from BCG. HR does not respond to emails unless you hound them.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

I was at a target school, applied on the website, interviewed about a week after applying. They were pretty difficult case interviews. You need to be quite experienced with case interviews before going to a interview with them. Suggested amount of practices was about 20 - 30 cases. They expect you to lead the case a lot. So be structured and be creative!

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Campus recruitin. Typical two rounds interview for ADCs. First rounds were relatively formal and cases were typical ones compared to the practice cases. Final round case with partner was difficult. Fit questions were also more challenging (ask failure, etc.) Didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you worked in a team and you were the problem.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Following my internship at BCG, I was offered to join BCG full-time in Europe. I applied for a transfer to one of the American offices via email. I was asked to come to the office to meet some people for interviews a couple of days after my first inquiry.

Interview Questions
    • No case-interviews, just a friendly getting-to-know each other.   Answer Question
    BCG offers little room for negotiation. I was told the only slack you have is the entry-level. I did not negotiate, however.

Full Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had a BCG phone chat after I submitted my application online. I was a bit confused about this. But a phone chat is just that, a chat, not a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, it was a conversation. I had some questions prepared and I used the opportunity to talk about my experience and what I am looking for.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interviewed on university campus for first round interview. Interviewed by 2 different people, each was 45 minutes long. The interviews had a few behavioral questions followed by a case and then time for questions and answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when it was difficult to be a leader   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions
    • No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

I attend a target school, so I was able to speak directly with the recruiting manager and a few consultants (through information sessions) before applying. Once selected for an interview, I did so at the local office before a final round at my office of choice:

Round one (two interviews: 15 minutes of fit, 30 minutes of case) - The interview begins as soon as your interviewer picks you up from the waiting area. Start making conversation right away! As soon as we sat down, my interviewer already started to make comments on her notepad from our interaction in the hallway. Both interviewers had no unexpected questions, if you search for "fit interview questions" on the internet, and read through them, you'll be fine. Although, my second interviewer did try to give me a slight stress test with 3 or 4 "what else" questions, but nothing more intense than that. Cases were a lot more simple than the practice cases, if you're breezing through the LBS casebooks, you'll be fine. Each one had 1-2 exhibits with very straightforward math. Try and be friendly, and work some humor into the conversation and you'll be fine.

Round two (same format as first round, with a written case preceding one of the interviews) - The case interview was not as bad as expected. You have 45 minutes to read over the material. Treat it like a normal case...read over the prompt and identify the question, spend 60 seconds building your framework and deciding what you'll need to know to answer your question, use 5 minutes to go through the slides to read titles and decide what you'll want to keep, spend another 5 minutes digesting the slides you deemed worthwhile, spend 10-15 minutes diving into those slides and calculating anything you may need, spend 10-15 minutes building your story/answer, spend 5 minutes practicing your story, and take any additional time to review the slides one last time for any additional insight you could add now that you have an answer. After that, the rest of the interviews are pretty fun in this round. Regardless of what happens, they want you to walk away with a good impression of the firm, so you will have fun in this round. The people are extremely nice and the fit questions are well within you comfort zone.

Interview Questions
    • Fit: Why consulting? Why BCG? Tell me about a time you had an impact on a team? Tell me about a time that you caused a team to struggle or fail.

Case: Risk/benefit, Profitability (with retailer adoption twist), Go/no go market entry, Profitability

View Answer
    No negotiation on salary, but with a competing offer, they're willing to be flexible on a number of other factors.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

1st round of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. Standard behavioral questions and a case.
    2nd round of 3 back to back 45 minute interviews. Requires more creativity. They usually let the candidates know about the good news the evening of the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions are not extremely difficult but they do require you to learn about a new industry quickly. One of the most difficult part is to perform well for 3 hours long.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on-campus recruiting from an Ivy League school. Had 2 back-to-back, 45min interviews with 15min on fit questions and 30min on a case. One interview was with a Project Leader and the other was with a Consultant. Very straightforward cases and general consulting questions (Why consulting? When have you worked on a team with difficult team members? etc.) Heard back within a week that I made it to final rounds at my top office choice. Was flown out and final round interviews were the same as first round, although they were with higher-ups in the firm.