Boston Consulting Group Junior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

BCG held a booth at a Job Fair where I dropped off my resume. I was later called back for a 20 minutes informal interview with one of the partners.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

First interview is diveded in three parts plus a test. First you have to talk about yourself, then solve a case and then you can ask questions about the company. Afterwards you have to do a numerical test. The test is standard, you can find this kind of tests all over the internet.

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview

it was the usual case interview process. supposedly they would fly you out later, depending on your geographic preference and it's most likely very standardized for this position. i didn't make the first round....

Interview Questions

• Case studies are like exams, but nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round (Videocall) : 2*45min with project leaders, case studies 2nd round (Dubai) : 1*45 min online case + 3*45 min interviews with seniors / partners 2nd round is usually passed directly in Dubai (flight & accommodation expensed). Really good experience, with smart and honest consultants who enjoy working in their company and in Dubai. Cases relatively easy (market entries, market sizing).

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I received an invitation 2 and a half months after my application and was invited to attend two days later. The test was divided in two multiple choice parts: one based on maths skills, the other on logical skills. Time was limited, you had to think quickly and pick the right answer. The logical test was pretty difficult and was similar to GMAT. Having practiced or taken the GMAT exam in the past is very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Understand the logical flow of a process based on traffic lights and understand why and where the process was wrong based on what was written   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

Alles sehr durchorganisiert, aber insgesamt eine positive Erfahrung: 1. "Briefing Call" vor der ersten Runde war sehr hilfreich um letzte Fragen zu klären, 2. Auswahltag war sehr voll (>20 Bewerber für verschiedenen Positionen) - Fokus lag ganz klar auf persönlichen Fragen, Fallstudien eher kurz gehalten (je ~20 Minuten) - Online Case kann schonmal sehr schwierig sein (leider erfährt man nicht genau wie man dort abgeschnitten hat) 3. zweite Runde wurde sehr zügig organisiert - Gute Größe, 3 Mitbewerber - ziemlich entspannte Atmosphäre (besser als erste Runde)

Interview Questions

• Nennen Sie fünf Charakterzüge, die Sie beschreiben.   1 Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

3 interviews in the first round, with 1 principal, 1 senior consultant and 1 consultant. The formats were the same for all, 10 mins or so of competency questions then a case the consultant had done before. Two of the interviewers were very nice, one was relatively pushy (more challenging on the answers and thought processes) and slightly less responsive. The HR lady promised feedback after delivering the outcome, but never did and was not contactable by phone or email. Good experience overall until the HR lady disappeared.

Interview Questions

• One pricing case, one supply chain case and one profit case   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I interviewed at BCG London as a PhD in November-December 2014. First round: 1 case interview (45min) 1 written numeracy test (45min) Second round: 2 case interviews (45min each) rather quantitative Final round: 2 partner interviews (45 min each), more focus on business understanding, communication, career motivations. My BCG case interviews were structured as follows: 15 min of "fit" questions (focussed mainly on discussing examples of leadership and teamwork), 25 min of a case study (expect to be given exhibits at some point in the case in the first two rounds, as in an interviewer-led case), and 5 minutes to ask questions. All cases presented are based on actual engagements your BCG interviewer participated in. They thus know every aspect of the case, which makes the interview very interesting, and it also means you might want to ask your interviewer about how her or his team approached the problem at the time. The recruitment staff was very dedicated, professional, friendly and helpful. Interviewers were friendly too, and very sharp as you would expect. Minutes before your interviews, you will given an enveloppe giving a little bibliography of your interviewer. This is the occasion to anticipate on the question you might want to ask her or him, more than trying to guess what your case will be about. In terms of average success rates, I would say that about 7% of applicants receive an invitation to the first round, about 50% of them make it to the second round (which I found surprising), and another 40% are selected to the final round. At this stage, this means that about 80-90 candidates remain in the game, which is less than 2% of the initial application pool. In the final round, it seems that if you are brilliant in the two interviews you are basically offered a position (hence there is no quota applied as in previous rounds), so the number of offers varies, but it seems to be around 25-35 offers in the recent years (in London).

Interview Questions

• What do you fail at doing in your job/studies?   1 Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First round assessment test (similar to GRE); second round case interviews, third round case interviews + group interview, reference + background check. Everyone very friendly and kind, but serious. Cases were interesting but challenging.

Interview Questions

• The case interviews can be very tough - I came from a non quant background so I found the rapid-fire mental math to be intimidating at times.   Answer Question

Negotiation

contract said 'non-negotiable' so i didn't, but heard that other people did successfully do so

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

1. CV screening 2. First round: numerical test + online case test + 1 case study interview (with Principal) 3. Second round: 2 case study interviews (both with Consultants) 4. Final round: 3 case study interviews (with 2 Senior Partners and 1 Principal) The company was incredibly professional and very impressive in the way they conducted the hiring and interview process. Their HR team was stellar and everyone in the firm was very friendly. They made a potentially stressful situation become an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• All the cases were challenging but incredibly fun to solve. Perhaps the toughest question asked was regarding a recent project they had completed for the 2012 London Olympics. The objective of the case was to propose how to handle the increased traffic in the city centre with the influx of tourists, while also making sure that the tourists left the Olympics with a positive impression of London.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. The firm offered me a great package that they and I felt I was worth.