Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – BCG held a booth at a Job Fair where I dropped off my resume. I was later called back for a 20 minutes informal interview with one of the partners.

Interview Question – How does company X make money out of event Y.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – First interview is diveded in three parts plus a test. First you have to talk about yourself, then solve a case and then you can ask questions about the company. Afterwards you have to do a numerical test. The test is standard, you can find this kind of tests all over the internet.

Interview Question – Case, solve logical questions   Answer Question

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – It was both very professional and a vey 'relaxed' atmosphere. I had two seperate case interviews: one with a consultant and one with a senior consultant from the firm, which were difficult and specified interviews. Although the questions were hard, the ambience was extremely relaxed. Overall it was a very nice experience

Interview Question – You've worked in teams before. Can you give me an example of a team you've worked in where you made a decision that improved the outcome of the teams assignment? (answer). Ok, thanks. Now give me an example where you've made a decision that disimproved the outcome.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – 3 rounds, all at their offices in London:

Round 1: 1 case interview with a low-level consultant (for anyone coming out of a PhD, they'll look about the same age), one online test similar to the Mckinsey PST and one arithmetic test.

Round 2: 2 case interviews with project principals with some personal experience tagged on the front.

Round 3: 3 case interviews with partners, again with some personal experience tagged on the front.

I didn't find the process getting more difficult/intimidating as the rounds progressed. But obviously the competition your facing gets tougher. I screwed up a bit in at least one of the final round cases so I cant complain about not being hired - they were friendly but tough but fair.

Interview Question – I got asked by multiple interviewers at multiple stages about a time where I had to successfully handle conflict within a team. In some cases it may have been because I alluded to the fact that there was conflict so there's a hint: they'll grab any chance they get to find out about how you fare under stress, conflict and pressure.

I also got the silent treatment in one of my final round interviews. Almost every question I asked was met with "what you your own assumptions be?" or "How would you go about it?". The guy warmed up a bit by the end though.
  Answer Question

Paris (France)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – First part of interview was behavioral
Second part was an in depth business case, little guidelines from the interviewer

Interview Question – how many people have an iphone in this building ?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Applied online after attending a campus event. BCG is good in that they appreciate their candidates education, and offer an intermediate role between an associate and a consultant for those joining them with a PhD. Got through to the interviews onsite for three different assessments, one was a live case study with a current consultant, one standard arithmetic test, and one case study on paper format.

Interview Question – Case study wasn't too difficult, but one really has to be used to the format before coming in. Practice is the key!   Answer Question

Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Fit+case interview, a bit unpleasant atmosphere. Consultants are busy and tired, so there not really interested in supporting people...
The interviewer was almost silent during the case, while it was connected to making own business.

Interview Question – To many open issues   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Interview Details – Through a recruiter. 3 45 minute case interviews.

Interview Question – Very straightforward. Each interview was half CV based and half case. All cases were reasonable with some simple maths involved.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Standard consulting company procedure. Phone interview, then several personal interview rounds.

Interview Question – Common questions but pressure kept rising throughout the interviews.   Answer Question

Munich (Germany)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – I've applied through the London office for a position either in London or in Germany. I got an interview a three weeks later in the London office, where I was interviewed by consultants from Germany and Austria for the German office. The first interview consisted of three rounds: twice a case-study (25 min), a personal fit assessment (15 min) and questions for the interviewer (5 min). Then you have to sit a 45-min-long online case study. The fit questions were the typical ones (tell me about yourself, weaknesses/strengths, teamwork experience, why should we hire you? etc.). The cases were about M&A and a profit case. The online test was to assess how you work on your own. It is an interactive case study, where you have to interpret graphs etc.
The interviewers were nice and professional. However one of them seemed to be first quite disinterested but was more engaged towards the end. It was a good chat altogether and the feedback, I could request, was very personal and constructive.

Interview Question – who would you like to meet (some known personality)?   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!