Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2011.

Interview Details – BCG Contacted me about my interest in working for them.. Had an initial phone screen which went on very well. The first round was very theoretical cases about retail industry and O&G industry.

I have over 13 years in O&G / Power areas and was really only interested in Energy industry consulting.

The retail cases was a theoretical one which I didn't too well. The O&G case I did well... I moved to the next round.

In the 2nd round all cases involved all cases not connected to Energy Industry. I thought I did ok on them but got feedback that I needed to structure cases better and be able to assimilate data on the fly.

The feedback sounded too theoretical for me..

Since I like the energy industry, I have since realigned my search to mainly focus on Energy Industry consulting or other firms in Energy Industry. I see myself in the medium term taking a leadership role in Energy Industry and I feel that broadening out my career with Mgmt consulting (Mck, BCG, Bain, Booz) will thin me out rather than focus me into energy.

I think the hiring practices of the typical mgmt consulting companies is focused on hiring fresh starry eyed MBAs rather than experienced hands.

Smart people will succeed anywhere though. The selective companies have more smart people than most other companies...

Interview Question – The achievement that I took the most pride in...   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Did not feel as if they wanted to hire me. They made me wait 30 minutes after the scheduled time to for the interview. There was no reason for the delay and it seemed I was a distraction to their day. Not a great feeling when you were excited abou the role.

Interview Question – Non were too difficult. More of a resume review.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not feel like it was a fit for me.

Management Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2009.

Interview Details – Very transparent, several interviews and an IQ test. Interviews spread over 2days. Interviews split in 2 parts: questions about yourself (weakness, success, team player, specific CV items - basic story telling)
and case studies. More colorful and interesting than standard cases and other competitors. One interviewer liked giving strict deadlines for answers ("you have 30 sec to give me your recommendations" etc.)

Interview Questions

• I see you have been successful on many levels. In what moment or event did you fall short? Why and what would you try to do differently?   Answer Question
  • What are the three things that you would want a co-worker to know about you before working with you?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – The test is an online test. They provide you with their own computer and the test have about 23 questions. Time limit is only 45 minutes. If you pass this, then you will have to go to case interview stage. Case interview have 2 stages, stage 1 and 2. You can study cases interview on their website. If you pass this then congratulation you'll get an offer.

Interview Question – It's an online test with 23 questions and time limit 45 minutes   View Answers (2)

Management Consultant

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was ok but unfortunately I was severely disadvantaged due to my engineering background and hence my lack of fluidity in business terms and concepts. It surprises me that BCG is trying to recruit engineers promising to transform them into business consultants but are unable to tailor the interview to fit the engineers analytical skill set . I recommend that if you are an engineer with management consultancy aspirations that you become extremely fluid in business before you apply.

Interview Questions

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – 1st round: 1 personality interview and 1 scenario based interview. Cantonese, English and Mandarin was used.
2nd round: 2 case studies, 1:1 for two rounds. English and Mandarin. Focused on businesses in fast growing industries and developing countries.

Interview Question – (Given a business case) Among the many suggestions of boosting the company growth you have, what would be your considerations in selecting those options and how would you assess the feasibility of those plans?   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!