Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online via website, took a month for them to contact me back (deadlines were very late January this year), but once I got a first round the second round was three days later and I got an offer that evening.

Interview Question – Difficult cases, very numbers focused   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Interview Question – One time you did something with no supervision   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Question – Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Interview Question – The math was actually unexpectedly straightforward   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – They are super nice. They guide you through the case and make you feel very welcome.

Interview Question – There were standard question and nothing too difficult. I just botched up because it was my first ever case interview :(   Answer Question

Summer Associate

Interview Details – I interviewed on campus and then had a final round at the office I applied to. The guys I interviewed with were great, with tons of interesting experiences and insights about a career in consulting.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you as a leader had to prove yourself   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – I came from a target school. BCG came to campus toward the end of the fall semester and held presentation & coffee chats. Make sure you make an impression at the presentation and get to know the campus recruiting lead (not the recruiter, but the associate/senior associate who actually works as a consultant). Two rounds of interviews: first round is on campus, 2 45-minute case interview (10min fit, 25-30 minute case, 5 q&a); second round is in similar format: 3 45-minute interviews with principals/partners.

Interview Question – I've interviewed with all top consulting firms except McK, and BCG cases are much tougher than that of any other firms. BCG cases tend to have a focus on strategy - it is not enough to be able to follow through a framework and do the math correct. For one thing, BCG almost never gives you data right away. If you are asking, what are the customer segments, you better be prepared to give them some ideas as to how you would segment the customer. They also expect you to have some intuitive knowledge about competition and high level strategy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for entry positions.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my college, so the process was relatively straightforward. After about a week, I received an invitation to first-round interviews. The interview process is exactly what you should expect from consulting. BCG favors more interviewee-led interviews, so definitely be prepared to drive your case from beginning to end.

Interview Question – One of the cases opened with a description that profits were down, but revenue was slightly up and costs were stable. It was an overly misleading description by the interviewer. He meant that cost/item was stable, and that overall costs increased, but it was terribly unclear even after clarifying questions.   View Answer

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – 3 back-to-back interviews

Interview Question – case interview questions which are very creative   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call to schedule my interview. Interview consisted of two rounds at their offices, each of which was dominated by a case study. One interview was with a partner and one was with a consultant (i.e. post-MBA role). Both were very nice. One of the cases was substantially easier than the other, but that may have been because I got flustered during the first one and messed up.

Interview Question – How would you improve the sales of a used automobile dealer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.