Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

4.0

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

1st round of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. Standard behavioral questions and a case.
2nd round of 3 back to back 45 minute interviews. Requires more creativity. They usually let the candidates know about the good news the evening of the interview day.

Interview Questions
  • The case questions are not extremely difficult but they do require you to learn about a new industry quickly. One of the most difficult part is to perform well for 3 hours long.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on-campus recruiting from an Ivy League school. Had 2 back-to-back, 45min interviews with 15min on fit questions and 30min on a case. One interview was with a Project Leader and the other was with a Consultant. Very straightforward cases and general consulting questions (Why consulting? When have you worked on a team with difficult team members? etc.) Heard back within a week that I made it to final rounds at my top office choice. Was flown out and final round interviews were the same as first round, although they were with higher-ups in the firm.

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied online, got invited for an interview a week after the deadline.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

After on-campus networking sessions, the next step was to apply via my campus career center for an on-campus interview. The first round, they interviewed around 100 candidates on-campus, with a relatively small fraction moving onto second-rounds at each native office. The first-round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, with about 10-15 minutes of fit and a case for each. The second round was a similar format at the BCG office in my city of choice, but the cases were generally more involved, with the case given to me by the Partner being significantly more challenging and quantitative.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me how the situation that we have reached in this case is game theoretical, and how you would choose the best option.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2014.

Applied online via website, took a month for them to contact me back (deadlines were very late January this year), but once I got a first round the second round was three days later and I got an offer that evening.

Summer Associate Interview

I interviewed on campus and then had a final round at the office I applied to. The guys I interviewed with were great, with tons of interesting experiences and insights about a career in consulting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you as a leader had to prove yourself   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

They are super nice. They guide you through the case and make you feel very welcome.

Interview Questions
    • There were standard question and nothing too difficult. I just botched up because it was my first ever case interview :(   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I came from a target school. BCG came to campus toward the end of the fall semester and held presentation & coffee chats. Make sure you make an impression at the presentation and get to know the campus recruiting lead (not the recruiter, but the associate/senior associate who actually works as a consultant). Two rounds of interviews: first round is on campus, 2 45-minute case interview (10min fit, 25-30 minute case, 5 q&a); second round is in similar format: 3 45-minute interviews with principals/partners.

Interview Questions
    • I've interviewed with all top consulting firms except McK, and BCG cases are much tougher than that of any other firms. BCG cases tend to have a focus on strategy - it is not enough to be able to follow through a framework and do the math correct. For one thing, BCG almost never gives you data right away. If you are asking, what are the customer segments, you better be prepared to give them some ideas as to how you would segment the customer. They also expect you to have some intuitive knowledge about competition and high level strategy.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for entry positions.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

I applied through my college, so the process was relatively straightforward. After about a week, I received an invitation to first-round interviews. The interview process is exactly what you should expect from consulting. BCG favors more interviewee-led interviews, so definitely be prepared to drive your case from beginning to end.

Interview Questions
    • One of the cases opened with a description that profits were down, but revenue was slightly up and costs were stable. It was an overly misleading description by the interviewer. He meant that cost/item was stable, and that overall costs increased, but it was terribly unclear even after clarifying questions.   View Answer