Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.9

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milano (Italy)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Milano (Italy)) in January 2010.

Interview

Very difficult interview, since some (but not all) interviewers were abrasive. There is an expectation to be very quick and quantitatively accurate. There's a strong focus on the cases, with less time devoted to the experience part of the interview (which included topics on leadership experience and achievements).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I came from a target school. BCG came to campus toward the end of the fall semester and held presentation & coffee chats. Make sure you make an impression at the presentation and get to know the campus recruiting lead (not the recruiter, but the associate/senior associate who actually works as a consultant). Two rounds of interviews: first round is on campus, 2 45-minute case interview (10min fit, 25-30 minute case, 5 q&a); second round is in similar format: 3 45-minute interviews with principals/partners.

Interview Questions

• I've interviewed with all top consulting firms except McK, and BCG cases are much tougher than that of any other firms. BCG cases tend to have a focus on strategy - it is not enough to be able to follow through a framework and do the math correct. For one thing, BCG almost never gives you data right away. If you are asking, what are the customer segments, you better be prepared to give them some ideas as to how you would segment the customer. They also expect you to have some intuitive knowledge about competition and high level strategy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for entry positions.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in July 2011.

Interview

Typical behavior interview first, with going over resume etc. Then the case interview about the luxury automobile industry and how the company should reallocate its assets to match a strategy adopted by their competitors.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were had to confront a supervisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

First round interview on campus went well, was very professionally done with lots of different staff interviewing many students. 2 45-minute cases. Second round interview in the office was a similar 2 interview format. Oddly enough, both cases were the exact same basic question "Should we invest in x?" My interview with the senior partner was very difficult and he often attempted to derail the case by asking irrelevant questions. He was very short and gave the impression that I was wasting my time. When I asked him questions at the end, he refused to answer them or would only answer "I like all my projects. I can't tell you about any specifics" which was bizarre. It appears that the Internship interviews are mainly just a form of recruiting for full-time positions. Do not go into them expecting to actually receive an offer. Out of 4 other students who interviewed from my college, none were extended offers and all were encouraged to apply for full-time positions.

Interview Questions

• Cases were very open-ended with no previous information. Only, "should we buy x?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received a call to schedule my interview. Interview consisted of two rounds at their offices, each of which was dominated by a case study. One interview was with a partner and one was with a consultant (i.e. post-MBA role). Both were very nice. One of the cases was substantially easier than the other, but that may have been because I got flustered during the first one and messed up.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve the sales of a used automobile dealer?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I found out a few days later that I had an interview and offering the chance for some practice interviews with people from the firm. I conducted 2 practice interviews with different people from the firm. I met a lot of people throughout the whole process First Round: Two 45-minute behavioral/case interviews with consultants from the firm. The cases were pretty different in nature, and you really need to structure your thoughts up-front in order to be successful. The first case had a lot of graphical exhibits from which you needed to do calculations, the second only had 1 exhibit. Make sure you tailor your structure to the problem! For example one of my cases really had to do with costs, and so if I had suggested we look at profitability, that would have been incorrect. • You get feedback from your interviewers after the first round. Take notes when they call you to chat about this, and make sure that you take the feedback into account when preparing for final round interviews. Final Round: One 45-minute behavioral/case interview, plus one 90-minute written case interview (45 minutes to prepare + 45 minute behavioral/case interview where you present etc.), this time with principals & partners from the firm. The biggest thing here is managing your time and discerning what's relevant information from the slide deck they give you. You are expected to select 4-6 relevant slides to go over with your interviewer, as well as craft an executive summary of your findings to explain your thought process. You also really need to be able to transition to the standard, oral case style after the written case. During the talk with the partner, it turns into more of a standard case, and then the second interview is again an oral case. • I also really want to stress the importance of networking. I do not believe that I would have gotten the offer without the networking that I had done throughout the whole process. Also, if you don't hear back day-of your decision-round interview, don't despair because there is still a chance that you can get the offer. I heard back 1 week after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• • Name a time when you set a lofty goal for yourself and how you planned for that goal • Why consulting • Describe a leadership position that you've had or when you've led a team. What was a challenge you encountered during this, and how did you over come it? • What are the components of a good team? How do you know when a team is working well together? • What is your usual role on a team? How do you contribute? • How do you organize yourself and make sure that you are hitting a long-term goal? Describe a time during which you have done this. Generally, they're trying to get a feel for your personality and if you're going to be a good fit at BCG. Have really good questions prepared, and do your research to figure out what it is they're looking for so that you can say the right things   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

First round was OCR, two interview each with 15 minutes of behavioral interview, 30 minute of cases. Straight numbers (though the case background was a little difficult to understand at first). Invited to final round the same Friday, one written case, one typical case of same format in the first round. Again straight numbers. Regardless of the fact that didn't get an offer, the recruiters and the consultants I met along the way are super friendly. Would apply for full-time

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting at top-10 university. Process took a little over 2 weeks. First round interviews were on-campus and consisted of two 45-minute interviews with Project Leaders. Both spent 5-10 minute upfront on behavioral questions before jumping into cases. BCG cases are very candidate-led, so having a strong structure upfront is key to being able to crack the cases. I made my way through both first round cases pretty quickly, which gave me lots of time to just chat with my interviewers and ask them questions at the end of each interview. I received a call the day after my interview informing me I had made it to the second round in my preferred office. One of my interviewers also called before my second round to give me interview feedback and also told me that BCG decision round interviews place a very strong emphasis on fit with the firm. Second round interviews were on-site at the BCG office. My decision round interviews were the same format as my first round (two 45-minute interviews--apparently format can vary between each office though) and were with partners in the office. In my experience, my interviewers in the second round spent a lot more time casually chatting/asking fit questions than my first round interviewers. The cases were also lot less structured than the ones I saw in the first round, with partners often deviating from calculations, etc to ask me to brainstorm ideas. I received a call later that day from one of the partners who interviewed me and was extended an offer.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

This interview process was frustrating as the "fit" questions were kept to a minimum. The interviewers seemed rush to get to the next person and would cut off your question at the end to start ushering you out the door. Although the process was efficient and only took a few days, you do not seem like an individual but a number to them.

Interview Questions

• The only question was "tell me about a time someone disagreed with you." Other than that, it was a case.   Answer Question