Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.9

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Seoul (South Korea)) in January 2012.

Interview

Experience was good. Phone call interviews followed by onsite interviews. In terms of the experience, everything was pretty textbook. If I were going to recommend anything you can do to prepare, I would suggest taking some time to research online and then reading some books on practicing case methods and cultural fit interview questions. These seemed to be important.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Resume screen followed by two rounds of interviews. Round 1 consisted of two on-campus interviews - one with a Consultant, one with a Project Leader. Each interview was 5-10 minutes of fit questions and 25-35 minutes of case interviews - cases were in-depth analyses, not brain teaser or market sizing style questions. I was notified I had been invited back for a second round the night that I completed my first round. They took place 2-3 weeks later at the office I was interviewing for (NYC). The second round consisted of three interviews - one with a Project Leader and two with Partners. Cases were much more open-ended / nebulous, and far more time was spent getting to know me and asking for questions. I was given my offer the very night I finished my interviews.

Interview Questions

• Our client is an electric car producer looking to introduce a new model. They have asked us to assess the viability and bottom line impact of this launch to support their go/no-go decision.   Answer Question
    • A European electronics manufacturer is experiencing declining sales despite increased marketing spend and top-rated products, both in terms of value and quality. The CEO has asked us to identify why revenues are falling and how to reverse the trend.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Given that this was an interview for a highly competitive, at-will paid internship position, there was no opportunity to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Diversity program for sophomores. First round was a low key group interview in their Boston office, and the second round was a 1 day superday with 2 case interviews (half fit, half case) in their New York office. Asked me about my work experience, school experience, then did the typical case questions. There was a pricing case and a M&A case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Campus recruiting. Process took a 1-2 months (due to scheduling conflicts). Had 2 back to back interviews with project managers in their New York office. Both interviews dived straight into case questions - not completely straightforward, but they tried to guide you a little if you need it (not just you talking at your interviewer). Case interview was followed by a couple of 'fit' interview and questions about previous experiences in team settings, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a team setting and faced challenges. How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

There were two interviewers. First part of each of the interviews is behavioral and the other part is Sum case. The First Lady was really nice and interesting but the second guy was just cold and couldn't wait to finish the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time things went wrong at work and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Lisbon (Portugal)) in July 2014.

Interview

The first step is to complete a computed-based test in their office to assess the problem solving capacity. I think it's a common procedure for any vacancy in BCG. It's not possible to use calculator or any electronic device apart from the computer where you are doing the case study. The test in timed and you only have 45 minutes so you fell under pressure while doing more or less complicated maths.

Interview Questions

• What's the final decision that you recommend to your client ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through university on-campus recruiting and heard back according to deadlines they had given. Had first round interview at university, after which I was invited to final round interview at office I had preferenced. Second round interviews were much more difficult than first round, but first round was honestly quite easy.

Interview Questions

• Business case concerning placement of specialty audio products in cars   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had two 45-minute interviews, back-to-back. The first interviewer spent most of the time on the case, and it was really bizarre. It was unlike anything I had practiced, and I knew I messed up on a simple math calculation. The second interview had a VERY straight-forward case which I think I did pretty well on. Both asked me a few questions about my resume before starting the case, and then I was given a few minutes at the end to ask them questions.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very supportive, but intense. After my resume was selected, received two offers from the firm (from diversity recruiting and in general) for mock interviews - one over phone, the other in person in their local offices. Then a local reception for interviewees to network with consultants around the country, then the in person interview: fit questions and two case interviews with two separate consultants from different offices.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time where you played a role on a team and it was successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Back-to-back 45-minute interviews for the first round. Some time was spent on behavioral questions, but the case was clearly the only thing of interest to the interviewers. For the cases, they seemed to want me to go on a very specific route (they had several charts that only made sense if they were presented in a certain order). Because the interviewers offered no direction beyond stating the initial problem, it took some trial and error to get on the right track.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you, as a leader, had to deal with a difficult teammate.   Answer Question