Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – First round on-campus interview (2), second round on-site interview (3)

Interview Question – What is your favorite book and why? Point to something you didn't include in your resume   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2009.

Interview Details – 2 on-campus interviews for first round (1 with project leader, 1 with principal), followed by 3 on-site interviews in office for final round (2 with partners, 1 with principal). All interviews were case interviews.

Interview Question – All case interviews - nothing unexpected though. Some on-the-fly quant estimation was required and could be tough for non-quant types.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Interview was practice cases. Difficult if you didn't prepare.

Interview Question – In general the case study.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – Applied by emailing one of the HR people (got her contact details via a mutual friend). Everyone was very friendly, although I didn't feel as relaxed as when interviewing at some other firms. Nice office (Los Angeles) with a fantastic view. The interview was fairly typical, 2x45min. Good experience. Would have declined the offer if I got it.

Interview Question – I had to analyze the toothbrush industry using just very basic graphs provided by the interviewer.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details – It was the 2nd round interview for summer associate position. I flew into Atlanta the day before the interview. 2nd round consisted of 2 interviews: 1 with a partner and 1 with a principal.

Interview Question – The case was on car financing. It was a pretty difficult question, very open-ended. The market sizing was not too difficult, but you had to come up with creative insights. The market sizing question was to estimate the size of car financing market.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and cover letter on my college's recruiting website and received a first round interview. The interviews were handled very professionally—we received a packet of information about the interviewers and process in the waiting room. Each interview was 45 minutes and consisted of fit, a relatively straightforward case, and time for questions. They let me know on the next business day that I had received a final round, and I received feedback from my first round interviewer that was crucial in helping me prepare, as well as a buddy from the office who ran through a practice interview with me. The final round was relaxed and fun, with a dinner the night before where the candidates got to meet current associates and relax. The final round was also two 45 minute interviews, with cases of about the same difficulty. They let me know about the offer by lunchtime that day.

Interview Question – What is your best accomplishment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After I received the offer, the company was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with a host of senior and junior people with similar interests and extending my offer until I knew enough to decide.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was invited to first round interview at the Boston office. My preferred office called me and helped prepare me for the interview by describing the process and walking me through a practice case. The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute case interviews where the first 5-10 minutes is behavioral and the last 5-10 minutes is open for questions. I tripped up on my second case when I wasn't deliberate enough with walking through what I needed for the case and as such missed some information. Overall, the people are friendly. They are prompt in letting you know the outcome of your interview.

Interview Question – Typical case questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview on campus went well, was very professionally done with lots of different staff interviewing many students. 2 45-minute cases.
Second round interview in the office was a similar 2 interview format. Oddly enough, both cases were the exact same basic question "Should we invest in x?" My interview with the senior partner was very difficult and he often attempted to derail the case by asking irrelevant questions. He was very short and gave the impression that I was wasting my time. When I asked him questions at the end, he refused to answer them or would only answer "I like all my projects. I can't tell you about any specifics" which was bizarre.

It appears that the Internship interviews are mainly just a form of recruiting for full-time positions. Do not go into them expecting to actually receive an offer. Out of 4 other students who interviewed from my college, none were extended offers and all were encouraged to apply for full-time positions.

Interview Question – Cases were very open-ended with no previous information. Only, "should we buy x?"   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Masters Student at Target School. Applied through School. Shortlisted for Round 1 . Went reasonably well though they had to lead me a little bit towards the right answer. Was called to next round to New York. Was flown there. Interviewers there seemed disinterested. Thought I did Reasonably well. However Did not get a call.

Interview Question – Estimate the Size of the Ad Market in the US for a Site focussed on Real estate Investors   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was offered an interview on Thursday evening via email for the following Friday. Two 45 minute interviews, around 3-4 behavioral questions, 30 mins of case, a little bit of time at the end for questions.
Be careful, some behavioral questions can be difficult if you do not prepare, for example "Describe a recent business case you have encountered and how you would have approached it as a BCG consultant"

Interview Question – Describe a recent business case and how you would react as a BCG consultant?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group