Boston Consulting Group

Updated Nov 18, 2014

4.0

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

I applied through my college, so the process was relatively straightforward. After about a week, I received an invitation to first-round interviews. The interview process is exactly what you should expect from consulting. BCG favors more interviewee-led interviews, so definitely be prepared to drive your case from beginning to end.

Interview Questions
  • One of the cases opened with a description that profits were down, but revenue was slightly up and costs were stable. It was an overly misleading description by the interviewer. He meant that cost/item was stable, and that overall costs increased, but it was terribly unclear even after clarifying questions.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

I applied for the summer associate in greater China area and got an interview in their Chicago office. There is only one round with three separate case interviews. One is in Chinese, the other two are in English. The first case is about online game companies, the second one is a market sizing problem, and the third one is about a plant growing some stuff for pharmaceutical companies.

Interview Questions
    • This is my first management consulting interview, I didn't expect the market sizing problem as a whole case.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

3 back-to-back interviews

Summer Associate Interview

First round on-campus interview (2), second round on-site interview (3)

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book and why? Point to something you didn't include in your resume   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview was practice cases. Difficult if you didn't prepare.

Summer Associate Interview

Applied by emailing one of the HR people (got her contact details via a mutual friend). Everyone was very friendly, although I didn't feel as relaxed as when interviewing at some other firms. Nice office (Los Angeles) with a fantastic view. The interview was fairly typical, 2x45min. Good experience. Would have declined the offer if I got it.

Interview Questions
    • I had to analyze the toothbrush industry using just very basic graphs provided by the interviewer.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

It was the 2nd round interview for summer associate position. I flew into Atlanta the day before the interview. 2nd round consisted of 2 interviews: 1 with a partner and 1 with a principal.

Interview Questions
    • The case was on car financing. It was a pretty difficult question, very open-ended. The market sizing was not too difficult, but you had to come up with creative insights. The market sizing question was to estimate the size of car financing market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

First round interview on campus went well, was very professionally done with lots of different staff interviewing many students. 2 45-minute cases.
    Second round interview in the office was a similar 2 interview format. Oddly enough, both cases were the exact same basic question "Should we invest in x?" My interview with the senior partner was very difficult and he often attempted to derail the case by asking irrelevant questions. He was very short and gave the impression that I was wasting my time. When I asked him questions at the end, he refused to answer them or would only answer "I like all my projects. I can't tell you about any specifics" which was bizarre.

It appears that the Internship interviews are mainly just a form of recruiting for full-time positions. Do not go into them expecting to actually receive an offer. Out of 4 other students who interviewed from my college, none were extended offers and all were encouraged to apply for full-time positions.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were very open-ended with no previous information. Only, "should we buy x?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

I applied online and was invited to first round interview at the Boston office. My preferred office called me and helped prepare me for the interview by describing the process and walking me through a practice case. The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute case interviews where the first 5-10 minutes is behavioral and the last 5-10 minutes is open for questions. I tripped up on my second case when I wasn't deliberate enough with walking through what I needed for the case and as such missed some information. Overall, the people are friendly. They are prompt in letting you know the outcome of your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

I submitted my resume and cover letter on my college's recruiting website and received a first round interview. The interviews were handled very professionally—we received a packet of information about the interviewers and process in the waiting room. Each interview was 45 minutes and consisted of fit, a relatively straightforward case, and time for questions. They let me know on the next business day that I had received a final round, and I received feedback from my first round interviewer that was crucial in helping me prepare, as well as a buddy from the office who ran through a practice interview with me. The final round was relaxed and fun, with a dinner the night before where the candidates got to meet current associates and relax. The final round was also two 45 minute interviews, with cases of about the same difficulty. They let me know about the offer by lunchtime that day.

Interview Questions
    After I received the offer, the company was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with a host of senior and junior people with similar interests and extending my offer until I knew enough to decide.