Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was offered an interview on Thursday evening via email for the following Friday. Two 45 minute interviews, around 3-4 behavioral questions, 30 mins of case, a little bit of time at the end for questions.
Be careful, some behavioral questions can be difficult if you do not prepare, for example "Describe a recent business case you have encountered and how you would have approached it as a BCG consultant"

Interview Question – Describe a recent business case and how you would react as a BCG consultant?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very nice people. Helpful throughout the case interview. 2 interviews, both had fit questions (why consulting, tell me about a time you were on a time, etc.) and then went through a full case. One case was a lot harder than the other -- initially a profit case, which was easy, but suddenly switched to a complicated market sizing case which is what threw me. Overall good experience and the people were very friendly.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in consulting?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiting manager from office called to set up the appointment, and was very friendly. The firm was flexible on both the date and time. The day consisted of 2 interviews, each including a case and a behavioral portion. Cases were straight-forward and what you would find in various books. They were also very interviewee driven, so be prepared to ask (appropriate) questions to drive the conversation.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – accepted from school, tough case interview didn't get offer

Interview Question – how many tennis balls fit in a 8 x 8 room?   View Answer

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had two case interviews. Both interviewers were friendly and overall the experience was positive. I received a call by the next morning letting me know I was not being considered for second round interviews.

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had 2 first-round interviews on campus, both of which were case interviews. 3 second-round interviews were then held in the San Francisco office. The structure of all the interviews was very similar, with the first 5-10 minutes being resume-based. The questions here were pretty standard and generally nothing to worry too much about. The next 25-30 minutes are dedicated to the case portion of the interview. BCG has a very analytical culture, so be prepared to work with numbers throughout the case. Finally, the last 10 minutes or so are reserved for questions. This part is also pretty standard, although it can be a good time to gain a few bonus points if you can ask poignant, thought-provoking questions. I had a great experience with all five of my interviewers, with all of them being very open and helpful. In general, it is very important to make the case into a dialogue with the interviewer, rather than a presentation or solo exercise. Although most of the interviews I had were partners at the firm, they were very willing to help work through the case and add helpful insights along the way.

Interview Question – That's a great idea... But what if that doesn't work?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview included three case interviews mixed with behavioral aspects. The entire process was friendly and collegial. My advice would be: let your personality shine through, even during the case. Make sure they know who you are, not just how well you can crack their case.

Interview Question – Tell me when you were part of a group and you disagreed with your boss.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Interview Question – Why would you choose BCG over Mc Kinsey?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process focusing on fit/experience, as well as problem-solving and communication. These are tested through a fit-style interview and case-interview respectively. My suggestions would be to prepare for both the fit interview and case interview components with similar rigor. It is easy to focus on cases, but even if you nail the case you aren't an attractive candidate if they can't see themselves being stuck on a plane with you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do consulting, BCG specifically?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Very Difficult Interview

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2011.

Interview Details – Typical behavior interview first, with going over resume etc. Then the case interview about the luxury automobile industry and how the company should reallocate its assets to match a strategy adopted by their competitors.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you were had to confront a supervisor.   Answer Question