Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Interview Question – When was a time you made an impact on your community   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – 2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details – Two first round on campus interviews, they interview a lot of people. Second round interviews were at the office, four 1 on 1 interviews. All the interviews had a bit about your background, and a case study. Some case studies had charts and tables to analyze, others were purely just back and fourth questions.

Interview Question – Be prepared to go through a lot of case studies. Must come up with a lot of different ideas to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Milan (Italy)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

Interview Details – Extremely thorough process, but also exciting and interesting

Interview Question – Cases   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – For summer internship position while in undergrad
Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
-everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
-There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
-had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
-actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
-the case questions were very similar
(there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
-I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
-had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
-found issues and made recommendation.
-the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
-interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
-was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very nice people, but difficult case with tricky math.

Interview Question – Tell me about a leadership experience when not everything went as planned.   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1st round was on campus and consisted of two back to back 45 minute interviews. 15 min was fit 30 min was a case. Both cases were relatively qualitative and the math was very simple. 2nd round occurred a week later in the office I requested. Same format, two 45 min interviews. Cases were a little more vague, but still very qualitative. After a received an offer, I got flown out to spend a weekend with the office with a bunch of free meals and activities. They definitely sell themselves well.

Interview Questions

• Maker of labels experiencing declining revenues. Why and what should they do.   Answer Question
  • Milk producer trying to decide whether or not to distribute milk themselves or outsource   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – My interview lasted one day only (a morning to be exact) and it consisted of a personal interview about my resume that was followed by a one-on-one case study interview. The case study interview was very similar to that included in the emailed packet (you'll get a packet to prepare you for the case study interview). The interviewers were nice, I think I did ok on the personal portion but struggled to do the quantitative reasoning on the case study part since I didn't have a calculator and I'm not a business student.

Interview Question – There was a business case question about a cheese manufacturing company in which I was asked how this company could increase its market share against a competitor.   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2009.

Interview Details – First round: Got two interviews, one with a project leader, the other with a consultant. Both were 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes behavioural, the rest case. One case was very technical and highly quntitative, the other was less framed and required me to come up with a creative solution. Both were typical interviews that could have been predicted. Both behavioural was about my resume.

Interview Question – When working on a team, do you take the role of a leader, or that of a team player?   Answer Question

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2008.

Interview Details – People came to my school to recruit. Everyone seemed really intense and nice. Willing to talk about the company. I thought very highly of the company. The interview process was not that stressful. I had first rounds on campus and final rounds in New York. Both allowed me to meet very intelligent and personable people. No question when it came time to accepting the offer.

Interview Question – Name a challenging situation you were in and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group