Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.9

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Applied by emailing one of the HR people (got her contact details via a mutual friend). Everyone was very friendly, although I didn't feel as relaxed as when interviewing at some other firms. Nice office (Los Angeles) with a fantastic view. The interview was fairly typical, 2x45min. Good experience. Would have declined the offer if I got it.

Interview Questions

• I had to analyze the toothbrush industry using just very basic graphs provided by the interviewer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

It was the 2nd round interview for summer associate position. I flew into Atlanta the day before the interview. 2nd round consisted of 2 interviews: 1 with a partner and 1 with a principal.

Interview Questions

• The case was on car financing. It was a pretty difficult question, very open-ended. The market sizing was not too difficult, but you had to come up with creative insights. The market sizing question was to estimate the size of car financing market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

First round interview on campus went well, was very professionally done with lots of different staff interviewing many students. 2 45-minute cases. Second round interview in the office was a similar 2 interview format. Oddly enough, both cases were the exact same basic question "Should we invest in x?" My interview with the senior partner was very difficult and he often attempted to derail the case by asking irrelevant questions. He was very short and gave the impression that I was wasting my time. When I asked him questions at the end, he refused to answer them or would only answer "I like all my projects. I can't tell you about any specifics" which was bizarre. It appears that the Internship interviews are mainly just a form of recruiting for full-time positions. Do not go into them expecting to actually receive an offer. Out of 4 other students who interviewed from my college, none were extended offers and all were encouraged to apply for full-time positions.

Interview Questions

• Cases were very open-ended with no previous information. Only, "should we buy x?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to first round interview at the Boston office. My preferred office called me and helped prepare me for the interview by describing the process and walking me through a practice case. The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute case interviews where the first 5-10 minutes is behavioral and the last 5-10 minutes is open for questions. I tripped up on my second case when I wasn't deliberate enough with walking through what I needed for the case and as such missed some information. Overall, the people are friendly. They are prompt in letting you know the outcome of your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter on my college's recruiting website and received a first round interview. The interviews were handled very professionally—we received a packet of information about the interviewers and process in the waiting room. Each interview was 45 minutes and consisted of fit, a relatively straightforward case, and time for questions. They let me know on the next business day that I had received a final round, and I received feedback from my first round interviewer that was crucial in helping me prepare, as well as a buddy from the office who ran through a practice interview with me. The final round was relaxed and fun, with a dinner the night before where the candidates got to meet current associates and relax. The final round was also two 45 minute interviews, with cases of about the same difficulty. They let me know about the offer by lunchtime that day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

After I received the offer, the company was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with a host of senior and junior people with similar interests and extending my offer until I knew enough to decide.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received a call to schedule my interview. Interview consisted of two rounds at their offices, each of which was dominated by a case study. One interview was with a partner and one was with a consultant (i.e. post-MBA role). Both were very nice. One of the cases was substantially easier than the other, but that may have been because I got flustered during the first one and messed up.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve the sales of a used automobile dealer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Masters Student at Target School. Applied through School. Shortlisted for Round 1 . Went reasonably well though they had to lead me a little bit towards the right answer. Was called to next round to New York. Was flown there. Interviewers there seemed disinterested. Thought I did Reasonably well. However Did not get a call.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the Size of the Ad Market in the US for a Site focussed on Real estate Investors   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

I was offered an interview on Thursday evening via email for the following Friday. Two 45 minute interviews, around 3-4 behavioral questions, 30 mins of case, a little bit of time at the end for questions. Be careful, some behavioral questions can be difficult if you do not prepare, for example "Describe a recent business case you have encountered and how you would have approached it as a BCG consultant"

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent business case and how you would react as a BCG consultant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Very nice people. Helpful throughout the case interview. 2 interviews, both had fit questions (why consulting, tell me about a time you were on a time, etc.) and then went through a full case. One case was a lot harder than the other -- initially a profit case, which was easy, but suddenly switched to a complicated market sizing case which is what threw me. Overall good experience and the people were very friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Resume screen followed by two rounds of interviews. Round 1 consisted of two on-campus interviews - one with a Consultant, one with a Project Leader. Each interview was 5-10 minutes of fit questions and 25-35 minutes of case interviews - cases were in-depth analyses, not brain teaser or market sizing style questions. I was notified I had been invited back for a second round the night that I completed my first round. They took place 2-3 weeks later at the office I was interviewing for (NYC). The second round consisted of three interviews - one with a Project Leader and two with Partners. Cases were much more open-ended / nebulous, and far more time was spent getting to know me and asking for questions. I was given my offer the very night I finished my interviews.

Interview Questions

• Our client is an electric car producer looking to introduce a new model. They have asked us to assess the viability and bottom line impact of this launch to support their go/no-go decision.   Answer Question
    • A European electronics manufacturer is experiencing declining sales despite increased marketing spend and top-rated products, both in terms of value and quality. The CEO has asked us to identify why revenues are falling and how to reverse the trend.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Given that this was an interview for a highly competitive, at-will paid internship position, there was no opportunity to negotiate.