Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

I applied online and was invited to first round interview at the Boston office. My preferred office called me and helped prepare me for the interview by describing the process and walking me through a practice case. The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute case interviews where the first 5-10 minutes is behavioral and the last 5-10 minutes is open for questions. I tripped up on my second case when I wasn't deliberate enough with walking through what I needed for the case and as such missed some information. Overall, the people are friendly. They are prompt in letting you know the outcome of your interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

I submitted my resume and cover letter on my college's recruiting website and received a first round interview. The interviews were handled very professionally—we received a packet of information about the interviewers and process in the waiting room. Each interview was 45 minutes and consisted of fit, a relatively straightforward case, and time for questions. They let me know on the next business day that I had received a final round, and I received feedback from my first round interviewer that was crucial in helping me prepare, as well as a buddy from the office who ran through a practice interview with me. The final round was relaxed and fun, with a dinner the night before where the candidates got to meet current associates and relax. The final round was also two 45 minute interviews, with cases of about the same difficulty. They let me know about the offer by lunchtime that day.

Interview Questions
    After I received the offer, the company was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with a host of senior and junior people with similar interests and extending my offer until I knew enough to decide.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2012.

I applied online and received a call to schedule my interview. Interview consisted of two rounds at their offices, each of which was dominated by a case study. One interview was with a partner and one was with a consultant (i.e. post-MBA role). Both were very nice. One of the cases was substantially easier than the other, but that may have been because I got flustered during the first one and messed up.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve the sales of a used automobile dealer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Masters Student at Target School. Applied through School. Shortlisted for Round 1 . Went reasonably well though they had to lead me a little bit towards the right answer. Was called to next round to New York. Was flown there. Interviewers there seemed disinterested. Thought I did Reasonably well. However Did not get a call.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the Size of the Ad Market in the US for a Site focussed on Real estate Investors   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

I was offered an interview on Thursday evening via email for the following Friday. Two 45 minute interviews, around 3-4 behavioral questions, 30 mins of case, a little bit of time at the end for questions.
    Be careful, some behavioral questions can be difficult if you do not prepare, for example "Describe a recent business case you have encountered and how you would have approached it as a BCG consultant"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a recent business case and how you would react as a BCG consultant?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Very nice people. Helpful throughout the case interview. 2 interviews, both had fit questions (why consulting, tell me about a time you were on a time, etc.) and then went through a full case. One case was a lot harder than the other -- initially a profit case, which was easy, but suddenly switched to a complicated market sizing case which is what threw me. Overall good experience and the people were very friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Recruiting manager from office called to set up the appointment, and was very friendly. The firm was flexible on both the date and time. The day consisted of 2 interviews, each including a case and a behavioral portion. Cases were straight-forward and what you would find in various books. They were also very interviewee driven, so be prepared to ask (appropriate) questions to drive the conversation.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

I had two case interviews. Both interviewers were friendly and overall the experience was positive. I received a call by the next morning letting me know I was not being considered for second round interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2010.

I had 2 first-round interviews on campus, both of which were case interviews. 3 second-round interviews were then held in the San Francisco office. The structure of all the interviews was very similar, with the first 5-10 minutes being resume-based. The questions here were pretty standard and generally nothing to worry too much about. The next 25-30 minutes are dedicated to the case portion of the interview. BCG has a very analytical culture, so be prepared to work with numbers throughout the case. Finally, the last 10 minutes or so are reserved for questions. This part is also pretty standard, although it can be a good time to gain a few bonus points if you can ask poignant, thought-provoking questions. I had a great experience with all five of my interviewers, with all of them being very open and helpful. In general, it is very important to make the case into a dialogue with the interviewer, rather than a presentation or solo exercise. Although most of the interviews I had were partners at the firm, they were very willing to help work through the case and add helpful insights along the way.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

accepted from school, tough case interview didn't get offer

Interview Questions
    • how many tennis balls fit in a 8 x 8 room?   View Answer