Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

4.0

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Two first round on campus interviews, they interview a lot of people. Second round interviews were at the office, four 1 on 1 interviews. All the interviews had a bit about your background, and a case study. Some case studies had charts and tables to analyze, others were purely just back and fourth questions.

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to go through a lot of case studies. Must come up with a lot of different ideas to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2013.

Went through competitive campus recruiting process, networked with people at the firm who were alumni from my school

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

There were 2-3 rounds of presentations made by team coming down from BCG to the campus. Initial resume submission, followed by a shortlisting of candidates. This is followed up by a dinner with few consultants and partners. Finally, 2 to 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews are conducted based on case-interviews & few HR type of questions.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

Extremely thorough process, but also exciting and interesting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

For summer internship position while in undergrad
    Applied through BCG website.

Went to information session.
    -everyone was very friendly and had a relaxed attitude.
    -There was enough time to talk with employees and learn about the office

Offered first round interview
    -had scheduling issues and they were very accommodating
    -actual interview had two case questions and behavioral test
    -the case questions were very similar
    (there is a problem here [industry, product etc] -> break down major factors -> one of major factors was problem -> breakdown again -> make recommendation
    -I had prepared for much more variety and the mental math was an issue since I have been working with variables for a long time now.
    -had drawn a flow chart of possible issues to address at beginning and worked with it through the case
    -found issues and made recommendation.
    -the behavioral questions were exceedingly simple (only had two: tell me about *points to most relevant thing on resume* and tell me about a team experience where there was a challenge)
    -interviewers were very friendly and relaxed although one was in a rush and left 30 min in
    -was not offered second interview for lack of organization on the case interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a team experience where you faced a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

2 initial face-to-face (on campus interviews). 30 minutes behavioural questions (very conversational) followed by two cases. One case on meat industry another on banking industry. Lots of charts and graphs to read. Some simple arithmetic to draw out.

None

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2012.

Very nice people, but difficult case with tricky math.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a leadership experience when not everything went as planned.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2011.

Typical behavior interview first, with going over resume etc. Then the case interview about the luxury automobile industry and how the company should reallocate its assets to match a strategy adopted by their competitors.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were had to confront a supervisor.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

1st round was on campus and consisted of two back to back 45 minute interviews. 15 min was fit 30 min was a case. Both cases were relatively qualitative and the math was very simple. 2nd round occurred a week later in the office I requested. Same format, two 45 min interviews. Cases were a little more vague, but still very qualitative. After a received an offer, I got flown out to spend a weekend with the office with a bunch of free meals and activities. They definitely sell themselves well.

Interview Questions
    • Maker of labels experiencing declining revenues. Why and what should they do.   Answer Question
    • Milk producer trying to decide whether or not to distribute milk themselves or outsource   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

My interview lasted one day only (a morning to be exact) and it consisted of a personal interview about my resume that was followed by a one-on-one case study interview. The case study interview was very similar to that included in the emailed packet (you'll get a packet to prepare you for the case study interview). The interviewers were nice, I think I did ok on the personal portion but struggled to do the quantitative reasoning on the case study part since I didn't have a calculator and I'm not a business student.

Interview Questions
    • There was a business case question about a cheese manufacturing company in which I was asked how this company could increase its market share against a competitor.   View Answer