Boston Consulting Group

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

4.2

Summer Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

I went through the standard recruiting process for current first-year MBA students. I went to an large informational meeting, had office hours with someone from the firm in person, spoke with BCG consultants on the phone who were working in areas i was interested in, etc. I probably had met a dozen BCG employees and had 1/2 hour conversations with 7 of them before submitting my application. I think this is important not because of the value of the networking, but because it helps you understand why BCG is the right place for you.

I had first-round interviews in early January. Two 45-minute interviews. The first 15-20 minutes were a behavioral/fit interview, the rest was a case. I found out the next day that I had made it through to the "Decision Round" interview which was held the following Friday in the office for which I was interviewing. There were 3 options for times during that day -- 8:00, 10:30, and 1:30. I started at 1:30, had two interviews similar to the first round (behavioral/case), and then met less formally with two other people -- one was the head of the office, the other was a senior principal. I got the call with good news less than 15 minutes after I walked out of the office.

I did probably 30-40 cases in preparation. It felt like in the cases generally they were really testing to see to what extent you were really grappling with the problem vs simply working through the case. The DR interviews were slightly more wide open. More about "How should we think about this?" rather than "Get to the right answer in the next 7 minutes."

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Interview Questions
  • Know your story and why BCG/consulting is the right next step for you.   Answer Question
None. Maybe over start date? None for summer positions.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

There was 2 rounds of interviews, one on campus and one at the office. Each round had 2 45-minute interviews,each with a mix of behavioral questions and a case study. The 2nd round interviews were with Principals/Partners. It was definitely harder than the 1st round but I felt that it was more of a "could I stand to work with this person" test. Come with questions and curiosity about that person's work. It helps to have some insights into related industries that the partner may care about.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2013.

First round interview in Boston, relatively straightforward cases with principals who were very easy to read. One case on forward-integrating and another on factors that drive retail growth. Overall a very pleasant experience.

Second round in Washington, DC. Two cases, both with partners, very little fit interview (the first partner jumped right into the case, the second asked one or two very basic fit questions and then moved on). Much more difficult to read. Made a minor math error on the first case, nailed the second. Received tepid phone feedback -- "good job, it's very competitive for the summer, please try again in the fall." Agree with the comments from a previous reviewer: my sense was that they care much more about full-time than the summer.

Interview Questions
    • The cases were straightforward. It was much more about responding to what the interviewer wanted you to say, which I suppose is no different than any other consulting interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

Easy case interview process very informal and laid back. People were nice

No negotiation - set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2009.

First round: 2 45-minute interviews
    - Each applicant will receive a call regarding acceptance or non-acceptance into the final round interviews. Applicants will receive feedback on interview performance regardless of next round acceptance.
    Second / final round: 2-3 45 minute interviews with leadership

Each interview: 10 minutes of "fit" questions, 25-30 minutes of case interview, 5 minutes of open questions

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer drew a curve on a piece of paper and said it represented the revenue for a telephony company over time. Asked me to brainstorm and then hone in on what was driving the revenue curve. Interviewer was supportive, rather than hard-nosed.   Answer Question
    n/a. No negotiations permitted

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2013.

1st Round- 2 back to back case interviews with project managers. Interview lasted 45 minutes. Had a few behavioural questions like why consulting, why bcg. 2nd round: 4 back to back interviews with 4 partners. 3 of them were case interviews, covered a range from market sizing to new market entry and identifying root cause of profitability issue. Last interview was given large amount of data including annual reports and news clippings, and had to make a presentation within 45 minutes to partner highlighting key client issues. Everyone was really friendly, and of the highest intellect and calibre.The final decision was made within one week and received offer on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • 5/6 interviews were business case interviews, one of them was a pure market sizing problem. One of the interviews , interviewer kept on asking what else , what else after i made my recommendation. He also made me make a visual representation of my solution to make it easier for the client to understand.   Answer Question
    very good offer. No need for negotiation.