Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.8

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was given a weeks notice to interview. The interview consisted of an online test, an interview with a consultant, and an interview with a partner, all back to back. The consultant was super friendly, whereas the partner had a straight poker face the entire time. Overall I had a good experience- everyone in the office was super friendly- but after the cases felt like there was no way I would get the job (a bunch of my estimates were off, etc).

Interview Questions

• You look great on paper, but what are you like as a person?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation (internship)

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Interview

Initial 45 test questions case. After one week, first round of interviews with consultants, one week later another round of interviews with 2 principals. Failed at the end of one business case. I was afterwards told that I would need more practice and I should try to practice a little bit with a book like Case in Point. It is not as difficult as it could seem at first. Best advice I could give is not to be nervous. I wasn't and even though it was first interview in my life, I got through the whole process.

Interview Questions

• If you were CEO of a very successful company, what would be your first three policies.   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Interview

It was a mock interview offered to selected students during an on-campus event. Standard consulting interview: some fitting at the beginning (deliberately not CV-based), a business case (more like an estimation question) and time for some questions by me at the end. The interviewer stressed how all of the three phases are subject to evaluation.

Interview Questions

• How many weddings per year are celebrated in this country?   1 Answer

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2015.

Interview

The entire process took a bit long because I am currently working in a different country than the office I applied at. For the internship I went through 1 interview + 1 computer based test on the first round, 2 interviews on the second round and 3 interviews on the third round. Most of the interviews were standard BCG: 15 minutes fit, 30 minutes case, 15 minutes my questions. During the first stage, a Principal of the firm was in London (I currently live in the UK) to do some business for the firm and gave me the first round interview, together with the problem solving test on the computer. I found the problem solving test as difficult as McKinsey PST: while you do have access to a calculator in this case, you also have 25% less time to go through the same amount of questions, and on top of that questions required you to navigate through multiple exhibits at the same time, not just the last one. During the second stage, the HR agreed to wait until I was in my own country and had the second round directly in the office. Alternative would have been to have a conference call, but I preferred to be there in person. 2 interviews this time, standard format. By the time I got to the third stage, I was back in the UK for work. This time the company wanted definitely to have me back in the office to meet the partners, therefore flew me in on the thursday to have the interview on the friday. First and third interview were again standard. During the second interview (with a senior partner & managing director) my interviewer wanted to make sure that given my background (engineering + phd in engineering) I really wanted to work in consulting. So basically he questioned me for 40 minutes on consulting, my motivation to do it, how do I understand the industry, what are the success factors in consulting (as an individual and as a firm), who are the main competitors, what are the challenges and the threats for BCG, what are the differences of consulting in the rest of the world and in the country where I applied. All of this was done in a skeptical and not friendly way, but I suspect he was grilling me to do some kind of stress testing and see if I could keep my cool with a difficult client. HR was extremely supportive throughout the process, and every interviewer I met was very polite, interested in me and pleasant to have a conversation with. Excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• 1.Case questions 2.Leadership fit question 3.Achievement fit question (tell me of the achievement you are most proud of) 4.Why consulting 5.Why BCG 6.Teamwork fit question 7.Tell me about yourself and why the career change 8.Why should I hire you 9.See above for specific questions on consulting   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Moscow (Russia)) in April 2015.

Interview

As in any big 3 company. Fit part, case interview, market sizing. Cannot tell what the case was. Fit part was about how skill from uni will help, why Moscow, strong character features, weak features.

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Questions

• I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Madrid (Spain)) in December 2013.

Interview

I was invited to take the test at their offices, and immediately after had two interviews. The first one was focused on walking them through my cover letter, strengths and weaknesses, skills... In the other interview they had me solve a case study that the interviewer had worked on. As I am a business student, the case was about improving a company's discounts policy. Not sure if those kind of interview questions are asked to a candidate with other backgrounds

Interview Questions

• The test is the most difficult part of the interviews. I barely completed 15 questions out of 25. But don't get scared, that's the average that people can manage to answer   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

Interview

Applied online and was asked to interview two weeks later. After passing the first round of two interviews, had a second round of two interviews a few days later. Well planned process and nice atmosphere. Interview questions were varied, but got two M&A questions.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Visiting Associate Interview

Interview

The first step consisted in a logical test and in a numerical test. Not extremely difficult but time was the major constraint. The second step consisted in a case to be solved at a PC. Similar to any business case, the fact that there was no interaction with an interviewer did not help. Moreover, differently from a face-to-face interview, time was measured at the second. The third step was a face-to-face interview with background questions and a market estimation question.

Interview Questions

• The online business case itself was the most challenging part.   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Madrid (Spain)) in April 2012.

Interview

1st Round: Online Case 2nd Round: 2x 1:1 interviews with 40:40:20 split between personal:case:questions 45 mins each. 3rd Round: same as second round but with more senior staff members 1 hours duration each. Plenty of time to ask questions and get asked questions. All the interviewers and HR staff were extremely kind and encouraging. The selection process was handled quickly with constructive feedback at certain stages. All the aspects of the interview process contributed to the image of BCG being an extremely enjoyable place to work.

Interview Questions

• Business cases vary depending on previous experience of interviewers.   Answer Question
    • Personal interview - going through CV to usual personal experience/competency questions - .e.g. teamwork etc...   Answer Question