Boston Public Schools Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Public Schools

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Public Schools.

Interview

I submitted a resume and cover letter and was invited for a phone interview within a couple of days. The phone interview was with two people the director of Data inquiry and another facilitator. They asked pretty standard interview questions (e.g. successes, failures, descriptions of myself, etc.). I was sent an performance task within a few days which I was to complete within two days. The task consisted of manipulating an excel workbook of student standardized test scores in order to be better digested by teachers; creating a visualization of the the workbook (graph); and noting themes from the data. I was invited to an in person interview for which I had to prepare to facilitate a professional development session with teachers based on the data in the performance task. The interview was with several superintendents and the data inquiry team. I was also given a case study and asked to reflect on it and then role played based on the case. I was then had a final interview with a superintendent that led the Office of Data and Accountability. This was very basic and informal.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to lead people with more experience than you and a time that you were led by people with less experience than you and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Dean of Students Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was very straight forward. If you have experience working with students outside of school then you should mention that and give examples of difficulties, dealing with parents, teachers, or administration. Knowing people who already work within the school system helps also because each school's staff carries a different culture.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an unresponsive parent?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The job is set up so that you will enter at a good pay grade and then receive a raise every year.

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Public Schools in September 2011.

Interview

The changing cast of principals means that a lot of people doing the hiring are young and fairly inexperienced at the hiring process. Failure to follow up with candidates is common, adn interview questions are not very good. People coming from the private sector may be taken aback by the lack of professionalism. In any event, principals try to make a quick decision on whether to follow up with candidates. They involve staff members (e.g., prospective teacher colleagues) in later interviews. They need to protect the time of busy teachers when interviewing is under way. Questions tend to be carefully scripted, especially in the group interviews with teachers.

Interview Questions

• "What is your approach to classroom management?"   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

Invited to interview at a Boston high school for an ESL teacher position. First, I interviewed with the two co-teacher leaders of the unit. Questions were mostly about fit with the unit, working with non-traditional (older) students, relevant experience, and foreign language competency. Next I met with two teachers who were currently teaching the classes I was interviewing for. Lastly, I interviewed with the headmaster.