Boston University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Systems Director, BUworks Interview

Financial Systems Director, BUworks
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston University in August 2012.

Interview Details – Initial 1-hr interview with 4 people. Prior to interview I was given link to web site, but most access required a BU account. Softball questions; the interview started by their asking me if I had questions. Odd vibe in room as interviewers exchanged glances after each question I posed, as though they were afraid of revealing too much.

Second round of interviews were 3 hours with 10 people. No hard questions; purpose was to find "fit".

Interview Question – How would I encourage resistant business offices who wanted to redesign the system yet were unable to translate their needs into technical requirements.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Got an offer for another job that aligned more closely with my career goals.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in March 2012.

Interview Details – There were 6 different interviews, back to back. Each interview was 30 minutes long, and there were 8 prospective employees being interviewed. There was a series of questions that most of them asked, many being the typical interview questions. This got tiring and repetitive because nearly every interviewer asked the same questions.

Interview Question – If you could erase one characteristic about yourself, what would it be?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for postdoctoral position by e-mail and soon get call from the professor. He talk with me about my career goals and proposed to come for interview. At interview I made presentation of my research accomplishments for the lab members, talk with lab members 1:1 and with professor.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When I got an offer 1 week after the interview the salary proposed their was too small. I calculated my possible expenses for living in Boston and send to the professor my estimation of what salary I will need to survive. By this I was able to get 5K more.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was relatively standard. Basic questions about what you envisioned to be your career path. What were your major strengths and your major weaknesses

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Communications
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was searching for jobs on the university website. Found the job at the Office of Disability Services that required someone who could interact with customers. Sent in my resume, and recieved a call the following week to come in for an interview. Went in and had a one-on-one interview with the director. Following week I recieved the job.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a student who came that had a speach impediment that you were unable to respond to?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director
Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston University in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed 1:1 on the phone screen with the hiring manager. In addition, did a phone screen with what would have been two peers and a direct report. Also did two panel interviews three higher ups to which the hiring manager was late. Did another panel interview with the same people that would have been peers and a direct report. Overall, the questions were easy. The information sharing was exceptional. Discussed position and salary with the HR member. However, they never got back to me after four interviews. The position had been open five months before my round of interviews occured. Perhaps they do not know exactly what they are looking for? For that much time and energy invested - a negative response versus no response would have been appreciated.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would integrate a new system when you will receive resistance from the current group of developers?   Answer Question

Wordpress Developer Interview

Wordpress Developer
Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in October 2010.

Interview Details – The person interviewing me was not familiar with programming and I felt he wasn't able to properly gauge my answers. I heard back that they were interested and then never heard back again. I've been contacted by 3 different people since the interview who had no idea I had already been interviewed.

A simple yes or no would have been fine.

Interview Question – What's something I've worked on in the past I am proud of and why?   View Answer

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston University in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was a graduate student at BU and I just talked with one of the professors, so my case is not very general. The reviewer was rather nice, and mostly asked general questions.

Interview Question – general questions like name, GPA, etc   Answer Question

Director of Finance Interview

Director of Finance
Boston, MA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Boston University in January 2009.

Interview Details – overview of the company

Interview Question – How would you go about reorganizing this group?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston University in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed in person on 3 different times each time asked to squeeze interview in before the Christmas break which I accomodated. They wanted to make a decision and have an offer out before the break. I was told multiple times that I was the lead candidate. Then no response

Interview Question – Reviewed work experience   Answer Question