Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

Was not ready for the internship experience as a college freshman. First off, interviewed with the finance department, and then interviewed with the operations department. Was pretty lost when going into the operations interview. However, all of the interviewers were very nice people and the facility was great.

Paymode-X Vendor Enrollment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in May 2014.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen with HR and then 3 additional onsite meetings. The first was an interview with 3 managers, the second meeting was a lunch meeting, the third meeting was with the CEO

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience as a sales manager, ways that I motivated employees, and performance expectations I had   Answer Question

Negotiation

I provided my salary requirements and they came in with an offer slightly above what I asked for

Technical Administrator Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

The assessment centre I attended had the following stages: -written exercise -group exercise -presentation -interview Before the actual AC, some of the managers gave us a presentation about Bottomline. It felt like an open discussion as we could ask questions and get answers. Nothing very formal as I remember one of the managers being so open about his job role. They kind of present what they build throughout the years, what they are looking for in terms of new employees and what are they planning to do next. Stages: The written exercise was truly interesting as I have attended a few other ACs and did not see it anywhere else (they basically want to see how you act in a certain situation - WRITTEN actions) The group exercise was extremely interactive. The group I was in was quite big and we all had to come up with solutions to a specific scenario. 4 managers were at the other end of the table listening and taking notes. The presentation was Powerpoint based and the topic was "What can I bring to Bottomline". They restrict it to 5 slides which is really good (you can do more talking and sell yourself in a better way). The interview was with 2 of the HR managers. Some competency based questions, a few experience questions (mostly educational area based). After each question, they would just pop a new question related to my previous answer, felt like I was being interrogated but in a good way - as it gave me the feeling they really want to know more about me. The AC took about 6 hours, starting at 9AM ending at about 3PM. The answer came after a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions : What motivates you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as the main terms in the offer were really good (both salary and benefits).

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH).

Interview

Wasn't actively looking, but I received a call from a Recruiter who was very professional and presented me with the opportunity. At first I was hesitant, but ended up interviewing. The whole process only took about two weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next position? How would your manager describe you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated 3 weeks of vacation, and the salary was market value for my abilities.

Graduate Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

Submitted CV Completed Personality Test Completed Phone Interview Attended assessment day - written exercise, group exercise, presentation on how you can contribute to Bottomline and then an interview towards the end of the day. I was skeptical after reading some negative reviews on Glassdoor however the whole experience of applying to Bottomline has been enjoyable and challenging in equal manner. In the end I was not able to accept my offer as It directly conflicted with another project that I had undertaken. After such a positive experience I felt it necessary to write a positive review about Bottomline as I don't feel the plethora of negative reviews is a fair representation of the experience I had. I met with a broad range of managers and also interns and graduates already working for Bottomline; they all came across in a very genuine manner and spoke positively about the short time they had worked for Bottomline. Ultimately, Bottomline came through and made an incredibly competitive offer that was very difficult to refuse. I think many of the reviews on Glassdoor may be a reflection of Bottomline's potentially cutthroat approach to taking over smaller firms which inevitably leaves some people high and dry. From reading these reviews it also suggests that many of them have actually been written by one individual who has had a bad experience. All in all I would definitely consider working for Bottomline Technologies in the future if my situation permitted it. And no this is not a plant and no they did not ask me to write this.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

I applied through my university for what I believe was called the "College Hire Program" and scheduled an interview on campus. The interviewers were running late and were unprepared. After asking me two or three questions, they were unsure of what to ask next (and told me that), so I took the lead as I had about 10 questions for them. They told me what positions were available, but could not explain what the roles of the positions would entail, other than communication. Later in the interview, one interviewer spoke about drinking alcohol at corporate social events and their personal life. At the end of the interview, I took the lead in standing up and shaking their hands, as they were awkward and did not acknowledge the fact that shaking hands tends to be normal. Overall, this was an extremely uncomfortable and unprofessional interview on their part. I could not wait to get out of there and I'm so glad I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

I submitted my resume and was contacted via email within an hour. I was asked to set up a time for a phone interview with HR. Phone interview went very well and they asked if I would like to come on site and interview with the department. I was scheduled a week in advance to meet with three individuals. I was greeted by HR and given a nice binder with the days agenda on the cover and company information within. Enter the first interviewer. Asked a bunch of questions that had nothing to do with the position. Fishing for my views on upper management and how it should trickle down. Really? Trickle down? I answered all of the questions, had her laughing, had her saying "wow never thought of it that way" etc., etc., etc. Next thing she jumps up and says "Oh, I think that the 2nd interviewer got called off site. Let me check and I'll be right back." Couple minutes later she comes in and tells me that the next two interviewers got called away and I was done for the day and that HR would contact me to reschedule. Bunch of B.S. The HR lady would have told me about a change of plans right up front. My take? They can't ask you how old you are on the phone. Interviewer, mid to late 20's, me 51. Can't say that with certainty, but, in all my years I have never had an interview go like that. It was messed up. I emailed HR as soon as I got home and got a "cold" reply in minutes telling me they were going with other candidates. What a waste of time. All of the reviews of how they treat their employees like crap is more than believable now and I am glad I found out early. If they treat an interviewer like that, just image how they treat the employees.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important to you, in order. Being liked by management, being liked by co-workers, or money.   Answer Question
    • If you get this job and there is a project due, would you stay till it is done no matter how many hours?   Answer Question

Enterprise Support Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth Village, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth Village, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

They reached out to me based on my LinkedIn profile. After a couple of brief phone interviews they flew me in to their office. Interviewing consisted of 6 separate 1:1. All was going well until a met with Ms. VP of HR. After telling me how important she was and then asking me to just recite my work history, listening expressionless, she begins to grill me on why I would be looking to come to work with them given the fact that I spent less than a year with my current employer. I found this odd since they called me. She would not accept my answer which was simply, " It is always in my best interest to vet any opportunities that appear to be a good fit for my skill set and appears to be a good organization", given today's world of "at will contracts". If they really have concerns about my short tenure at my current employer then why did they contact me in the first place?

Interview Questions

• Give me the top 5 things that you are looking for in a company that you are getting at your currently company. We are concerned about someone who is interviewing us for a job that has been with their current company for less than a year.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

Interview was good. Talked with recruiter first, then CXX and then VP level management. Process went very smooth a professionally. Recruiter made the company, goals, position and management team explanations very clear. I knew what I was getting into, whom I would be talking to and what to expect from interview early in the conversation. Even though I didn't get the position they didn't leave me hanging and as soon as I was disqualified I was notified. So much better than they just don't call you back.

Interview Questions

• Explain a go to market process of a new product. I tried but every company is different and I couldn't seem to get across how we had done it at my employer. I think the interviewer expected me to articulate the step by step by the book of a product launch.   1 Answer

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

Phone call from agency, first & second interviews. Psychometric test and very attitude focused. Nice interviewer but really tough with lots of unorthodox questions. Put me at ease and was quite funny and friendly!.

Negotiation

Not needed - was offered what I asked for