Bottomline Technologies

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews

Interviewed at Bottomline Technologies

Interview Details – I started interviewing for this job in spring 2013. There were two phone interviews, one of which was standard behavioral stuff and another of which was a getting-to-know-you interview with some questions about my skillset/experience and some information about the company. Then there was an in-person interview, which consisted of talking to two or three people. Most of it was the standard "talk about a time you've had difficulty working on a team" sort of questions, but there was one example business case where I was expected to look at a paragraph-long description of a business problem and talk at a high level about how I would design the solution and associated architecture.

It was pretty obvious from both the phone interview and the in person interview that this is a high-pressure work environment. I was specifically told that 45-50 hours per week or more were expected, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on being aggressive and moving up through the company. I suspected that there's a work-life balance problem here, and reading other reviews on Glassdoor confirmed that.

The phone interviews took about two-three weeks from first contact to finish, and the in person interview was the week after that. I got an offer just a few days after my in person interview. It was hilariously low - just over half of what I'd been offered for a similar position, and at least one third below the average market rate in the area.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just be prepared to think at a high level about how you would design an app to a customer's specifications given varying requirements.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was hilariously low, the work doesn't seem terribly exciting, the business seems like it is extremely high pressure with a bad work-life balance. There is nothing about this company that would be attractive to anyone with a solid CS education.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview Details – Contacted via email and scheduled an interview at their HQ.
Greeted and welcomed when entering the building.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Corporate Recruiter
Portsmouth, NH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in June 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very positive for me at Bottomline. I was treated with courtesy, was updated on every step of the interview process and was always kept informed of the interview details. I felt and still feel that Bottomline really values all interactions.

Negotiation Details – Great- I feel like a fair offer was made

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in October 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview, then brought on-site to go through the rest of the face to face interview process with the manager and another QA Engineer

Interview Question – What is one of your weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – An offer was made and then it was increased after talking to the on-site recruiter.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Portsmouth, NH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in September 2011.

Interview Details – Disjointed, confusing, poor communication, strange telephone calls and messages. Felt like I was interviewing for CIA! I struggled to believe that the person on the other end of the phone was an SVP. Very poor language skills and interview technique.

Reason for Declining – I needed a period of physiological counselling after going through the process.

Portsmouth, NH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in March 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me about 2 weeks after I applied online via the Bottomline website. He quickly set up a phone interview a few days later after gauging interest in the position.

The current hiring manger was very professional and answered all my questions as well as giving a great overview of the product and what to expect out of me. The biggest surprise was that I was expected to regularly put in overtime and had to work long enough "to get the work done". I believe at one point engineers were putting in around 60 hours a week just to stay afloat.

After the phone interview I was scheduled a few days later with the group which was based in another location. The interview was very pleasant and the questions they asked pertaining to my knowledge and the product was asked and answered effectively.

A week later I was scheduled to meet with management where I met with a completely different hiring manager that apparently been moved from another group. He asked me lots of technical questions pertaining to by skills and a lot of "what-if" scenarios. I also met with the manager from the phone interview as well as his manager who asked my why I left my previous employers and my reasoning for joining the company.

I was offered a job offer a few days later with to my surprise a base salary which was much lower than the industry standard for my position in the geographic area. I set up an appointment to negotiate a salary but was forgotten by the recruiter only to have to set up another one later on in the day. He told me he would probably not be able get me any more money and told me that I could make up for it with quarterly bonuses I "might" be able to get but were not guaranteed. He also asked me if I was being contacted by any other companies which I told him I was and he began telling me all the bad things about the company which I found very unprofessional.

The recruiter went to check with the new hiring manager for a salary increase and called later in the afternoon but the increase was still not at the low end of the salary spectrum I would have accepted and not up to media industry value for my position.

So to sum up my overall experience, the people seem nice to work with there and the building is nice but be prepared for a much lower salary offer than industry standard and be prepared to put in mandatory overtime and being on call after hours.

Interview Question – You do know this is not a 9-5 job? You will be expected to put in overtime and be on call after hours until "the work is done".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The base salary offered was well below what my knowledge, skills and years of experience were worth. This included "mandatory" overtime and on call hours which I was forewarned about during the interview process.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview Details – I was selected in the first round of on-campus interviews and was called for a half hour interview in their office. The person in-charge was very helpful in helping me figure out where my interests lied. Although it was meant to be a half hour interview, I had multiple interviews with people from different departments for more than 2 hours. I was happy with this sudden plan at that moment because it was only in the interest of seeing where I would fit into the company. I was told that I had cleared the round and would be contacted by the HR person. After two weeks, I was asked about my work authorization status (I had already given that information in the application anyway). After another two weeks, I was sent a reject letter.
I think there is a lot of miscommunication between the HR and hiring departments, which the interviewee should beware. I also felt that you need to be lucky and not really talented, because two of my other friends who have awesome jobs now were not selected in the first round.

Interview Question – Only fit based questions. They asked me to give ranks for what I wanted most out of my job, etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in October 2012.

Interview Details – Call from an agent and directly invited to face to face interview.

Interview Question – I was asked company principles which is on their web site and I read before I went to interview.   View Answer

Systems Administration Interview

Systems Administration

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was relaxed and informative. The purpose of the physical interview is to determine the individual's fit more than the technical aptitude of the individual. Unfortunately, they never really committed to hire. The recruiter expressed that he was waiting on an answer and that they wanted me on board. After a couple of months of that answer, I gave up and moved on. So, if you interview and they tell you they want you to work, don't miss other opportunities if you don't have a formal offer letter. This is true for any company.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Portsmouth, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for a position posted on their web site. I was contacted shortly thereafter by a person who indentified himself as the hiring manager. He had me on speakerphone and didn't tell me this until others on the phone started asking me technical questions that were very specific to the position. Apparently, I did well enough to be scheduled to come in person for an in-person group interview. I arrived for the interview to find that the manager I spoke with about one week prior was "no longer with the company." I later learned that he had been terminated along with several others whom I had spoken with on the phone. Needless to say, I wasted a day off to interview at this company. I was offered a job, but declined. When I declined, I was contacted and questioned why I declined, and I calmly explained that I did not think the environment was a good fit for me. I was spoken to in a rude and unprofessional manner and was essentially "grilled" for not taking the position. I cannot speak to other positions or anything other than my experience with this company, but any time I see a job posted from them; I pass.

Interview Question – Tell us what brought you to our web site?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Half the group I was to work with including the manager were terminated between the time I had a phone interview and the time I came in person. There seemed to be chaos in general and no sense of order. The risk seemed substantial and once I was nearly shouted at for declining the position, it validated my decision.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees and interview candidates.