Bottomline Technologies

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Bottomline Technologies

Interview Details – I started interviewing for this job in spring 2013. There were two phone interviews, one of which was standard behavioral stuff and another of which was a getting-to-know-you interview with some questions about my skillset/experience and some information about the company. Then there was an in-person interview, which consisted of talking to two or three people. Most of it was the standard "talk about a time you've had difficulty working on a team" sort of questions, but there was one example business case where I was expected to look at a paragraph-long description of a business problem and talk at a high level about how I would design the solution and associated architecture.

It was pretty obvious from both the phone interview and the in person interview that this is a high-pressure work environment. I was specifically told that 45-50 hours per week or more were expected, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on being aggressive and moving up through the company. I suspected that there's a work-life balance problem here, and reading other reviews on Glassdoor confirmed that.

The phone interviews took about two-three weeks from first contact to finish, and the in person interview was the week after that. I got an offer just a few days after my in person interview. It was hilariously low - just over half of what I'd been offered for a similar position, and at least one third below the average market rate in the area.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just be prepared to think at a high level about how you would design an app to a customer's specifications given varying requirements.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was hilariously low, the work doesn't seem terribly exciting, the business seems like it is extremely high pressure with a bad work-life balance. There is nothing about this company that would be attractive to anyone with a solid CS education.

Portsmouth, NH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in March 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me about 2 weeks after I applied online via the Bottomline website. He quickly set up a phone interview a few days later after gauging interest in the position.

The current hiring manger was very professional and answered all my questions as well as giving a great overview of the product and what to expect out of me. The biggest surprise was that I was expected to regularly put in overtime and had to work long enough "to get the work done". I believe at one point engineers were putting in around 60 hours a week just to stay afloat.

After the phone interview I was scheduled a few days later with the group which was based in another location. The interview was very pleasant and the questions they asked pertaining to my knowledge and the product was asked and answered effectively.

A week later I was scheduled to meet with management where I met with a completely different hiring manager that apparently been moved from another group. He asked me lots of technical questions pertaining to by skills and a lot of "what-if" scenarios. I also met with the manager from the phone interview as well as his manager who asked my why I left my previous employers and my reasoning for joining the company.

I was offered a job offer a few days later with to my surprise a base salary which was much lower than the industry standard for my position in the geographic area. I set up an appointment to negotiate a salary but was forgotten by the recruiter only to have to set up another one later on in the day. He told me he would probably not be able get me any more money and told me that I could make up for it with quarterly bonuses I "might" be able to get but were not guaranteed. He also asked me if I was being contacted by any other companies which I told him I was and he began telling me all the bad things about the company which I found very unprofessional.

The recruiter went to check with the new hiring manager for a salary increase and called later in the afternoon but the increase was still not at the low end of the salary spectrum I would have accepted and not up to media industry value for my position.

So to sum up my overall experience, the people seem nice to work with there and the building is nice but be prepared for a much lower salary offer than industry standard and be prepared to put in mandatory overtime and being on call after hours.

Interview Question – You do know this is not a 9-5 job? You will be expected to put in overtime and be on call after hours until "the work is done".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The base salary offered was well below what my knowledge, skills and years of experience were worth. This included "mandatory" overtime and on call hours which I was forewarned about during the interview process.

Very Easy Interview

Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in October 2012.

Interview Details – Call from an agent and directly invited to face to face interview.

Interview Question – I was asked company principles which is on their web site and I read before I went to interview.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees and interview candidates.