Box

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.1

Role On Product Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Box.

One screener call, invited in for panel interview. Attended panel interview (4 interviewers, one after another) in the HQ office in Los Altos, where I did see that indeed, there is a yellow slide. Very prompt, on-time, cordial, pleasant and presentable people who did seem slightly distracted, and perhaps bored with their projects, thus the discussions were low on energy from my perspective. One person on the panel had already accepted a new job elsewhere. I did not meet the HR recruiter, nor did I speak to her on the phone. I only spoke with a coordinator prior to the interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prioritize the following feature requests?   View Answer

NOC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Box in February 2015.

I was initially contacted on LinkedIn by one of their recruiters. The first was a phone screen, followed by 2 technical 30-35 minute long interviews. The process seemed very rushed; I often got notified I "passed" each round of interview (3 phone + in site) within hours of actually interviewing. It was kinda suspicious to me to be totally honest. After the 3rd phone interview I was invited to Los Altos. I went through their Orbitz site and booked my own flight and 1 night hotel stay which was more convenient than them asking you a general time range and doing everything themselves. In general I had a pleasant time there (5 hours), the people are pretty friendly but the 2 people in Austin I had video interviews with were a bit irritable and seemed ticked off at something the whole interview. There also was no consistency in the interviews, the interviewers each just asked it seemed whatever whimsical question they wanted, some personality some technical. The interviews really try to see who will best fit into their corporate culture. I was very friendly the whole process and answered most everything but still didn't get an offer. At the same time, I love technology but I don't "eat, sleep, and breathe" it as I have many hobbies (outdoors, automotive, etc.) I guess I just wasn't the proper fit for them and that's fine.

Interview Questions
    • On-site interview questions were general all round IT technologies that a person with 1-2 years of experience should be able to answer. However the style is that the interviewers start with basic open ended questions and then ask you go go more and more in detail about a subject to gauge your depth of knowledge. A lot of chit-chat which took up nearly half the entire process.   Answer Question

Tier I Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box in February 2015.

At first I got an email saying they were gonna do a view interview, which is pretty odd and doesn't feel the same way when you talk to an actual person who actually listens to you and gives you some kind of feedback after you say something and not a recorder. The questions were pretty abstract as usual.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a recent tech innovation and how you think it will impact your everyday life.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

I was contacted by a recruiter mentioning how much they liked my experiences and they wanted to set-up a screening. This was not your typical screening. You were going to be asked 4 pre-recorded questions and have a limited amount of time to answer, all while being recorded. The correspondence was very pleasant and seemed like they knew this wasn't a "typical" screening.

You were given the opportunity to answer a practice question to test out the video and sound. They asked 4 questions, gave you 30 seconds to think about the question, and then 1 minute to answer the question. It was pretty distracting watching the clock countdown.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Box in January 2015.

The Box interview had several rounds, with one phone screening by a recruiter, three more by team leads and potential colleagues, then a marathon in-person interview at Box HQ in Los Altos with 6 members of the team and a demo at the end.

Most questions asked were standard "tell me about a time when..." with things such as "learned a hard lesson", "made a mistake", etc. I was also asked to rate my technical skills from 1 to 10. I selected 6.5 and was asked how I would set up a customer who wanted to run automated extracts using Box. That was the most technical question I was asked.

As for the big scary demo, just demonstrate that you understand the key functionality of Box and show your professional demeanor that you would use to conduct a kick off meeting with a customer.

Unfortunately, their compensation was far below an offer I already had on the table. They came back to me three times with incremental shares, and then a sign-on bonus, but it just couldn't come close to what I was being offered elsewhere. Honestly, I was thankful that they couldn't come close because the culture and product are fantastic and I already felt it was a heart-wrenching decision, even with the low salary.

Hopefully I'll get another chance down the line to work at this wonderful company!

Implementation Consultant Interview

There was a video screen where they would ask a question and the interviewees had 30 sec to a minute to respond. I did not hear back from the video interview until a couple months afterward through a follow, follow up

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online and had a two hour skype interview with two different engineers back-to-back. Each asked a specific technical question. The first asked the unival tree question and the second asked the elevator question. I was unprepared so did not perform well and as expected. Therefore I did not make it through.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Got contacted by a recruiter to set up a techinical interview right away. Talked to two engineers, I thought both went well. One asked about the elevator question and another asked to write a method that determines whether a tree is unival.

Interview Questions
    • The elevator question might catch someone off guard if you don't think about it before/code it out.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

Applied online. The process took around one week. Recruiter scheduled two back to back 45 minute technical phone interviews. If you do well on these then you are given an offer right away.

Interview Questions
    • Design an elevator system with 50 floors and 4 elevators.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Applied online and received an e-mail response with a link to a recorded video interview. The interview process seemed extremely streamlined and made the company seem highly efficient and popular to the point their recruiters couldn't even be bothered to deal with something as time consuming as a simple phone screen much less a face-to-face interview. Unfortunately, after completing the recorded interview, I was assured that I would be contacted "shortly".

Well, it's been near 2 months, and my request for an update has been ignored. Nothing ever came by, not even something as simple as a "we've decided to move forward with other applicants." Or "We will keep your resume on file..."

Sorry, but if your recruiting team can't even manage the most basic duties of keeping their applicants informed, then I can't believe they're even worth working for. They don't even have the excuse of being overrun considering they've got this nifty little video recording process that streamlines their process by so much. An automatically generated response sent to hundreds of applicants doesn't take more than 5 minutes out of one person's time. The only conclusion I can draw then is that their recruiting team is either rude, lazy or careless. None of which recommends them as a company worth working for overall.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a talent show, what would you perform and why?   Answer Question