Box

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online and had a two hour skype interview with two different engineers back-to-back. Each asked a specific technical question. The first asked the unival tree question and the second asked the elevator question. I was unprepared so did not perform well and as expected. Therefore I did not make it through.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Got contacted by a recruiter to set up a techinical interview right away. Talked to two engineers, I thought both went well. One asked about the elevator question and another asked to write a method that determines whether a tree is unival.

Interview Questions
    • The elevator question might catch someone off guard if you don't think about it before/code it out.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Applied online and received an e-mail response with a link to a recorded video interview. The interview process seemed extremely streamlined and made the company seem highly efficient and popular to the point their recruiters couldn't even be bothered to deal with something as time consuming as a simple phone screen much less a face-to-face interview. Unfortunately, after completing the recorded interview, I was assured that I would be contacted "shortly".

Well, it's been near 2 months, and my request for an update has been ignored. Nothing ever came by, not even something as simple as a "we've decided to move forward with other applicants." Or "We will keep your resume on file..."

Sorry, but if your recruiting team can't even manage the most basic duties of keeping their applicants informed, then I can't believe they're even worth working for. They don't even have the excuse of being overrun considering they've got this nifty little video recording process that streamlines their process by so much. An automatically generated response sent to hundreds of applicants doesn't take more than 5 minutes out of one person's time. The only conclusion I can draw then is that their recruiting team is either rude, lazy or careless. None of which recommends them as a company worth working for overall.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a talent show, what would you perform and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

Applied online. The process took around one week. Recruiter scheduled two back to back 45 minute technical phone interviews. If you do well on these then you are given an offer right away.

Interview Questions
    • Design an elevator system with 50 floors and 4 elevators.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I had two back to back hour long interviews. In the first one I had to come up with a program to output strings so that they are justified (like in Word), and the second one asked the famous elevator scheduling problem.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Box.

Everyone I spoke with was very nice and passionate about the company. The process was easy and well thought out. The people I interviewed with knew what they were looking for and were very upfront about that which I appreciate. I think the company is going to grow and continue being successful. Interesting product.

Rotation Analyst Program Interview

Web Interview. You will be video recorded when answering pre-recorded question from the company. You will have limited time to answer each question. Do not feel like it is an interview, but more like a test. Not very helpful when you try to learn about the company. Kind of awkward.

Interview Questions
    • If you were CEO of Box, what would you focus on in the next three years?   Answer Question

IT Helpdesk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box in November 2014.

I was referred by a current employee, so I got to skip the video interviews. I was interviewed for a Customer Success role and the IT Helpdesk role. The IT team latched on to me after my phone interview. They asked me to come in and I interviewed for a good 4 hours - with 5 different people. I got to see the entire space and they let me in on some of the benefits of working for Box. It was a great experience - everyone was nice and relaxed and treated me like family (I figure that's the best way to get to know someone). Throughout the whole process, IT team members were emailing me and asking if I had further questions or wanted to get coffee and talk. They were very open and communicative throughout the interviewing period. I still haven't started and my new manager is constantly keeping up with me over email. They have always been very straightforward with me and never "led me on"- they let me know they liked me and that they would follow up - and they did.

Interview Questions
    • If an employee came to you and demanded their issue be resolved NOW (obviously frustrated), how would you calm the employee and help to resolve their issue realistically? (This issue is something that cannot be resolved in a short period of time)   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate for a bit higher pay and for more RSUs

Customer Success Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

The interview was done by video. It consisted of 4 questions, and I was given 30 seconds to think about the questions and 2 minutes to answer them. There was a timer counting down on the side of the screen the whole time, which made it hard not to feel pressured and rushed.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest technological brekathrough of the year?   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

The initial interview was a video recording. They had me use my webcam to answer 4 pre-recorded questions and each question was only allowed 30 seconds to answer. And like an in-person interview, once you say something, you can not un-say it. The first question was 'tell us about yourself'- pretty standard. But hard to explain 10 years of experience in 30 seconds. I should have just read my dang resume out loud

Interview Questions
    • All questions were standard first-round interview questions, but with the clock counting down right before your eyes, hard not feel rushed   View Answer