Box Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Just a phone interview with a 21 year old just out of college. This start up company just wants to hire young people and not experienced workers. I was turned off by the phone interview. They asked basic questions nothing hard. The person I interviewed with just wanted to know about my experience and also asked if I ever worked for a start-up, when I asked questions about the company, the answers were very short and it didn't get me excited about the company.

Recruiting Coordinator/Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA).

Interview

The first round is a video interview. They ask you 5 pre-recorded questions and you have 30 seconds to think about it. Then they give you 1 minute and 30 seconds to answer it. All 5 of the questions are below. I have yet to make it to the second round but am waiting to hear back. I know the second round is a phone interview and then if you pass that, you will go on campus to do in person interview with the hiring manager/rest of the team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a time when you managed a project, how did you keep members organized and how did you deal with unexpected changes?   1 Answer
    • Follow up question, how did you deal with a difficult conversation with a member or manager?   Answer Question
    • What's the best team and why?   Answer Question
    • If you had to do a talent in the talent show, what would it be?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

Interview

They had me do an online interview, which consisted of me answering several questions which were recorded. It was a short interview and took about 10 minutes. The strange thing is it was scheduled as a regular interview, but my interviewer cancelled last minute because she wasn't feeling well, and she prompted me to this video interview.

Interview Questions

• One question they asked was what I would perform if I were in a talent show.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Box (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

First interview is with HR, overview of the company and of the role, basic questions about yourself and your skill. Second interview may be with hiring manager, more in depth technical questions more about yourself and the role. You may be invited to drink n synch where you speak with many box employees over the course of about 2 hours in a "social" setting. During the drink n synch I did ask their support engineers very pointed technical questions such as "What technology does box run on?" They never answered, I expected them to say it runs on a web server with back end database however I still do not know. They also seem to look for people like themselves who are pretty smart but not as smart as they make themselves out to be.

Interview Questions

• How does your computer connect to box.com   1 Answer
    • Whats the difference between an API and a SDK   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Box (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and recruiter contacted in about a week. This was followed by a quick set up of a phone screen. The phone screen was a little bit about background and then a coding question through collabedit. Onsite interview was 4-5 rounds of technical interview including a coding question using your language of choice and your own laptop and environment.

Interview Questions

• Unival tree; Elevator System Design; Design file system in SQL;   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a video interview where you log in and record your answers to several questions. Then about a week later was a quick 20 minute phone screening with a recruiter. The recruiter set up a phone interview with a customer success team lead. The phone interview with the team lead lasted about 30 minutes and was the customary background and experience interview. A recruiter then set up a phone interview with the hiring manager a week later. The interview with the hiring manager lasted about 30 minutes and was more of an assessment of fit. Then the recruiter set up an onsite interview with several members of the team including a demo. The onsite lasted about 3 hours and the questions ranged from experience to fit. Pretty standard and not a lot of curveballs. It was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working on a team where everyone has a lot less experience than you?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Brief Phone interview about 20-30 min. She asked a few questions many of them straight forward. She seemed a little disinterest/shy in interviewing making the conversation a little awkward. I applied online though linkedin.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a disagreement with someone and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA).

Interview

Efficient process with recruiter and 3 members of the team. However one of the senior managers I met with seemed to have his own agenda and didn't really know what the job would require. His questions seemed out of context and out of line. Disappointing since I had higher expectations of this company.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Box (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me and arranged telephonic interview within few days. Interviewer asked to me solve the elevator problem. I tried my level best to solve the problem including good amount of coding. The result came back as I am not fit for now. I really don't understand what is their expectation.

Interview Questions

• Elevator problem - 50 floor and 4 elevator   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone chat with Product Designer, and then I was invited for a onsite interview. The interview consisted with a portfolio review, and five 1-1 interviews that were 30mins each. At the end you meet back up with your recruiter, and go over logistics. Overall it was a positive experience, but I was thrown off that there was no lunch break in the middle since your basically interviewing from 10am-2pm.

Interview Questions

Box Response

Apr 1, 2015 – Technical Sourcer

You definitely should have received a lunch break. I apologize for our oversight and we will take this into consideration in the future. Thank you for taking the time to give us constructive feedback.