Box

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.1

Sales Recruiter Interview

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Box.

I got reached out by a recruiter for a potential sales recruiting opportunity. I had the first and second phone screen. I was told they would be moving "pretty fast." 2 weeks after the phone call I reached back out for a follow up and was told someone would get back to me soon. It took another 2 weeks to tell me they were not moving forward.

Very impressive and bright team, but please don't say you are "moving pretty fast" if you aren't going to follow through. 1 month to get feedback is a very long time.

Sep 17, 2014Senior Manager Sales Recruiting

You're right! We should definitely be more specific when we say "moving fast," because while time seems to be moving very fast on our side, that doesn't mean it's the same for you. Thank you for the ... More

Position Interview

Typical interview setup. First phone interview with recruiter and hiring manager, followed by a few hours of interviews with different members of the team. Several questions around another software that I have worked on in the past and how certain issues were resolved. These seem to be issues they are running into. Other interviewers had additional questions about current problems they are facing that resulted in brainstorming sessions. Completely fine to ask. I provided a solution to a problem they were having and the interviewer responded back that it was a good idea and something they should look into implementing...but then no offer. Did they only want free consulting help?

Sep 17, 2014Senior Manager Sales Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback. Interviews often include creative brainstorm sessions, but we promise, we're not using the ideas generated as free consulting advice.

Sales Operations Interview

This process started back in April and was kind of disorganized, very hot and cold, alot of "yes we wanted to have you start yesterday but actually nevermind". I was ultimately not given an offer despite overlooking some of the logistical interview challenges I did not enjoy dealing with. I write this to inform and not point fingers.

The initial phone screen was very informative (recruiter has since left Box and my application was handed off to another recruiter in July).

My first conversation with the leadership team was scheduled for the following week - the director was late - over 15 minutes late to be specific (not a good impression but I thought nothing of it- people are busy)

I had a follow up conversation, one week later, with the same Director and it went well . I was brought onsite 1.5 weeks later and spent about 3 hours onsite. The interviews went great, I thought the team sounded like a group of really smart individuals.

I was called several weeks later to be told that they went with someone else but they wanted to keep in touch - this was a 3.5 week process to get here.

I was approached several months later by a different recruiter for the sales team for a great role in sales operations.

I went onsite (traveled 2 hours just to be on site) and met with one person I met with before who was not experienced with interviewing. I was asked a series of behavioral questions. My second interview was with the director and then ended the meeting with a conversation with the recruiter. I was given a verbal offer.

Five days later I was asked to have two additional conversations, they were short 30 minute calls on the phone with additional senior individuals.

two weeks later I was rejected

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult no business cases, very high level questions on your experiences.. like tell me about a time you worked in a fast paced environment   Answer Question

Sep 17, 2014Senior Manager Sales Recruiting

I apologize for your bumpy interview. This isn't the kind of experience we want to create for candidates, and we appreciate you taking the time to give us candid constructive feedback so we can ... More

Tier I Technical Support Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Box.

Contacted via LinkedIn, messaged back and forth before proceeding to a phone interview.The recruiter was very helpful and friendly, kept a very conversational tone throughout. She did ask to reschedule the day before, but only by one hour. Allowed more time to review and prep.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions, including a resume walkthrough, some background questions.   Answer Question

Sep 17, 2014Senior Manager Sales Recruiting

Thank you for sharing feedback about your experience!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

Worst interview ever. Extremely rude and arrogant people. No respect at all for the people they are interviewing. One of the worst onsite ever.

Initially there was a phone interview with the hiring manager . He explained the team and the job. After some delay he arranged for a phone technical interview with one of the engineers.
    The phone interview required collaborative coding (collabedit). 2 Basic Data-structure CS questions.
    After not receiving a answer for a week i emailed the hiring manager and he said some recruiter will contact me for the next steps.
    After another week the onsite was scheduled. Went there. Had a series of interviews with extremely rude people and the most weirdest of CS questions. I get the idea of asking CS questions related to the field. Basic Datastructure knowledge i feel is necessary as well but there is a line between asking good reasonable CS data structure questions and something old school and irrelevant( electrical engineering questions like signals ? waves ? ), even bit masking questions(which i solved) but the interviewer wanted a one line answer which had a worse time complexity than the solution i gave. Google interviews are tough but atleast they ask sensible questions and are nice enough to point you in the right direction/give some hint/acknowledge that sometimes there can be a false negative in interviews.
    The only good thing was probably the food .

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

First round: 2 back-to-back skype interview, 1 hour each. I was asked to design an elevator system. Then questions about checking unival trees, and count unival subtrees. The interviewers were very helpful. Did not come up with the best answers on the first tries, but got them right with hints from interviewers.

Second round: 30 minutes phone interview with a manager. Discussed design of a project I did.

Got offer on the next day.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

The overall interview process seemed confused at best. A recruiter reached out to me on linkedin, and, after the initial telephone HR screening call, there were several different roles that they thought would fit my profile. After a few weeks of radio silence and a couple of recruiter and job profile changes, they finally connected me to the hiring manager. The interview with the hiring manager was straightforward, mainly questions about previous experience and behavioral questions around team management.
    The interview seemed rushed, it was almost like he wanted to get the chat over with even before it started, I believe this is the first interview in my career where I was asked if I had any question for the interviewer before delving into my details. We wrapped up the interview within half the budgeted time.
    A couple of days after the interview, the recruiter reached out saying that my profile was not a direct match for the team's hiring needs. As Box is still a young company, I guess it is understandable that their hiring processes/standards are still not mature enough and they have a ways to go to streamline their recruiting process. Interviewing with them makes once wonder why they even bother to reach out to you if the first place.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I submitted my application online. Approximately 2 weeks later I received an email inviting me to complete a pre-recorded interview. 3 weeks passed and I did not hear word from the recruiter. Hence, I contacted him and was informed that I was not moving forward. I would say that the recruiter was great though.......positive and very professional.

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

Recruiter liked my profile from LinkedIn and approached me. 1 phone interview with Network Manager and then On site interview. Process was fast and easy. Took just over a week.

Interview Questions
    • Switching arp , bgp basics local pref and as path questions Fire wall and nat questions.   View Answer

Box Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Box.

On college process. Met with one IC and one person who was a TA to the CEO. Pretty standard questions.

It was pretty straightforward, but clearly they have certain expecations for the answers. You do not get any points for any out of the box( no pun intended) answers.