Box Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had two back to back hour long interviews. In the first one I had to come up with a program to output strings so that they are justified (like in Word), and the second one asked the famous elevator scheduling problem.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Box.

Interview

Everyone I spoke with was very nice and passionate about the company. The process was easy and well thought out. The people I interviewed with knew what they were looking for and were very upfront about that which I appreciate. I think the company is going to grow and continue being successful. Interesting product.

Interview

Web Interview. You will be video recorded when answering pre-recorded question from the company. You will have limited time to answer each question. Do not feel like it is an interview, but more like a test. Not very helpful when you try to learn about the company. Kind of awkward.

Interview Questions

• If you were CEO of Box, what would you focus on in the next three years?   Answer Question

IT Helpdesk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee, so I got to skip the video interviews. I was interviewed for a Customer Success role and the IT Helpdesk role. The IT team latched on to me after my phone interview. They asked me to come in and I interviewed for a good 4 hours - with 5 different people. I got to see the entire space and they let me in on some of the benefits of working for Box. It was a great experience - everyone was nice and relaxed and treated me like family (I figure that's the best way to get to know someone). Throughout the whole process, IT team members were emailing me and asking if I had further questions or wanted to get coffee and talk. They were very open and communicative throughout the interviewing period. I still haven't started and my new manager is constantly keeping up with me over email. They have always been very straightforward with me and never "led me on"- they let me know they liked me and that they would follow up - and they did.

Interview Questions

• If an employee came to you and demanded their issue be resolved NOW (obviously frustrated), how would you calm the employee and help to resolve their issue realistically? (This issue is something that cannot be resolved in a short period of time)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for a bit higher pay and for more RSUs

Customer Success Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

Interview

The interview was done by video. It consisted of 4 questions, and I was given 30 seconds to think about the questions and 2 minutes to answer them. There was a timer counting down on the side of the screen the whole time, which made it hard not to feel pressured and rushed.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest technological brekathrough of the year?   Answer Question

Interview

The initial interview was a video recording. They had me use my webcam to answer 4 pre-recorded questions and each question was only allowed 30 seconds to answer. And like an in-person interview, once you say something, you can not un-say it. The first question was 'tell us about yourself'- pretty standard. But hard to explain 10 years of experience in 30 seconds. I should have just read my dang resume out loud

Interview Questions

• All questions were standard first-round interview questions, but with the clock counting down right before your eyes, hard not feel rushed   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to set up an initial phone interview. At the last minute it was switched to an actual phone interview. I had a lot of questions lined up, but my interviewer wasn't interested in answering those, only stuck to her lengthy list of questions. She was incredibly rude and condescending. I got off the phone thinking, "if this is how they treat potential employees, I'd hate to know how they treat current employees or customers." My personal favorite was when she asked if I was familiar with their competitors. I informed her that I had used DropBox, which is free. She then went into a rant about how they were similar, but in no way related or affiliated with each other. Duh, that's why I listed them as a competitor I was familiar with.

I hope they recognize that the people they are interviewing could possibly be potential clients in the future. I walked away with a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• Standard: What do you know about our product/competitors, etc.   Answer Question

Interview

Phone Interview that lasted about 20 minutes. She was very courteous and professional. They do a lot of homework on who you are, so be prepared to answer any questions regarding your online portfolio. Also, be sure to do your research on Box, as they will test your knowledge on the company.

Interview Questions

• Roleplay - Ask 10 different questions to a potential company to gauge their interest.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

Interview

The overall interviewing process at Box was a pleasant experience. Their communication was very straight forward and everyone seemed incredibly friendly, not to mention everything took less than one week! I really enjoyed meeting with the various recruiters and other employees-- everyone seemed very happy at Box and friendly. The interview questions were very straight forward and behavioral. I met with four different recruiters and enjoyed them for the most part. My one regret is that I wish I would have been more intentional with my final interview and more specific with the brain teaser question I was asked. Although disappointed, I think Box is an incredible company with a bright future.

Interview Questions

• Know the role inside and out and have a clear understanding of why they should hire you. Be prepared to answer questions related to the role with creativity, sincerity, and rely on your experience.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Box in October 2014.

Interview

Phone screen with Recruiter
    Phone interview with Upper Level Management
    In person with one local Boxer and 3 boxers virtually (via google plus) including the hiring manager. This stage includes a demo.

Do your homework. They expect you to know competitors and Box's pros and cons. They are very particular about the cultural fit, so be yourself.

Recruiters were all very friendly and responsive. I really appreciated how quickly they kept me informed of next steps.

Interview Questions

• What if I'm onboarding my team and they get overwhelmed with the features and the process. How should I handle this?   Answer Question