Box

3.2

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

I submitted my application online. Approximately 2 weeks later I received an email inviting me to complete a pre-recorded interview. 3 weeks passed and I did not hear word from the recruiter. Hence, I contacted him and was informed that I was not moving forward. I would say that the recruiter was great though.......positive and very professional.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Box in April 2014.

Honestly, one of the best, most professional interview processes I've been a part of. I was recruited via LinkedIn for a social/recruiting event. Afterwards I emailed everyone I met and was directed to a very capable recruiter. First round was an easy phone screen with the recruiter (why Box, what's your background, what are you looking for etc), then a phone interview with the manager who asked about background and situational questions (how would you deal with an upset customer, how would you evaluate an account etc). Finally I came in for an in-person where I had 4 one-on-ones with various people on the team and managers and gave a demo to a group of would-be peers. This process was a little unorganized but that's to be expected in a fast-paced place like Box. At my in-person everyone asked intelligent questions and were able to answer my questions well. Eventually all of my interviews turned into conversations about life at Box, my career goals etc. They evaluated that I wasn't right for the role and I started the process over for a new position on the same team and eventually received an offer.

Interview Questions

Went in a different career direction

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

Whole interview process was horrible- completely turned me off from even wanting to work there. Completely unorganized and unprofessional. Do not stick to their time frame, and the recruiters do not know enough about the positions to give you any real information. For a not-so-great company in the first place, they should really try a bit harder if they want legit employees.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Box.

Well organized, but interviewers lack maturity.

Director of Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Box.

I met with the current VP of Business Development and the current CEO. The VP of Biz Dev was very professional, asked excellent questions that I could answer and share my personal experience quite fluidly. She really seemed positive and began to ask me whether I would accept shares in lieu of market rate salary. I felt a chemistry with her because she understood my accomplishments and experience at another startup, which I helped lead to profitability and acquisition. She seeemed ready to recommend me to the CEO as her next Director of Public Relations. The CEO, on the other hand was not prepared to interview me. He did not look at my resume prior to meeting me. When he did look at my resume, he asked irrelevant questions that did not catalyze conversation nor identify how I could help Box to achieve its goals. The discussion was disjointed and the interview with him was a failure.

Interview Questions
    • The CEO did not ask relevant questions. He didn't really know how public relations would help his company. He asked questions about minute and irrelevant details or things that he somehow took interests in. He did not really try to find out who I am or how I can help his company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

They contacted me really fast and set a regular phone interview.
    Then scheduled a Skype technical interview.
    The interviewer was very kind, and asked me only one question.
    Unfortunately I didn't find the question really relevant to coding skills but rather checking if you know it and can pretend not to know it, or just go the naive way.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that gets a integer and returns true if the integer is prime   View Answers (2)

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Box in August 2012.

I applied in July 2012. In early August 2012, I received an email from HR to set up phone interview with a talent recruiter. Spoke with the recruiter and was asked general questions about my contracts knowledge and experiences. I explained I have a JD and have negotiated technology and software business contracts exclusively for the past 3 years. I went into great detail (for just under an hour) and was then asked if I was willing to relocate to Palo Alto (I currently live in the Milwaukee, WI area). I expressed that I was interested in relocating and would do so. I mentioned that I've lived in California previously.

The talent recruiter acted very excited to fly me out for an in-person interview and went on and on about how great the Palo Alto facilities and people are. She said she would (for sure) set up a Skype interview with me and the Corporate Counsel, but would run it by him first. Of course I was surprised and irritated when I followed up and got the cold shoulder. No flight out to HQs. No Skype. No answer to inquiries. The only follow up I received was a generic "This position has been filled" email, which I received in September 2012. Shame.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box in April 2012.

Incredibly nice people. First interview was with recruiter. Second was with the sales manager, and finally a group interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Box in March 2012.

Very organized. Recruiters are pretty professional. Questions were well thought out and respectful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Box in February 2012.

Contacted by sourcer on 1st of month. 2nd interview, phone screen by a recruiter on the 6th. 3rd interview, phone screen with VP on 10th. 4th interview didn't happen until the 21st. Way too long between Veep call and in person interview. 38 days after 1st contact, was rejected.

All told, unimpressed. 1st: place packed tighter than ants. Desks on top of each other, with management performing confidential work in the open view of whomever is passing behind. 2nd: Loud, not just a lot of energy, the place is LOUD. Very disruptive environment due to its highly open nature. 3rd: No one on the front desk. I had to email the recruiting manager to say I'd been waiting 10 minutes. In the meantime, probably 60 people passed by/through the lobby. No one stopped to ask if I had been helped.

VP was nice, Director insightful. The recruiting team is a bit full of themselves - very proud of what they built, but too deep in the trees to see what isn't working. Poor follow up and candidate management. 16 days passed after my in person interview, and I had to close the loop with the Director and VP. Finally got the official notice from the recruiter 38 days after initial contact.

ADVICE #1: Hire an experienced recruiting manager to build a world class hiring program.
    ADVICE #2: Respect your candidates' time. Expedite the hiring process, schedule each step and communicate.
    ADVICE #3: Very clearly set expectations, and deliver commitments.
    ADVICE #4: Stick to the schedule laid out in #2 Make sure you follow through with every candidate.