Box Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.5

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Box.

Phone Interview + Technical Interview. Not too difficult. The Elevator question and the Binary Search tree question. Kind of annoyed that they are impressed with your background but don't have a role that fits. I got the feeling the company only wants to hire young 20 somethings from big name schools. They talk a lot about diversity, but I did not see a single person over 35. May be they look for folks with cultural fit, in that they all fit the profile of the typical valley brogrammer.

Other Interview Reviews for Box

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Box in October 2013.

The interview process is not much different from what you'd expect from Bay Area Internet companies

I interviewed about 5 Bay Area companies and the interview with Box was one of the best.

* Recruiting team was very efficient, patient and professional.

* The engineering floor in Box building is open, clean and organized, it's hard to walk around and not feel the energy there. In addition to free lunch(maybe dinner as well?) and snacks they actually offer their software engineers great collection of business books for free, which I think is very cool.

* The company still feels small(which is a good thing!) even they will likely go public in 2014. I actually ran into their CEO in kitchen and had a short but very nice conversation with him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Box in July 2012.

Box office building looks like a law office, but once inside, you quickly realize you are in a high tech startup, as there a giant florescent green slide spiraling down from the second floor. Folks are young here, though the hiring manager was in his fifties. I was interviewed by 7 or 8 employees, and they all asked very technical questions. The interview started at 1pm, and I didn't leave until 8:30pm. Brutal!

Interview Questions
    • How to perform parity check on computer memory, in less than linear time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Box in February 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. I wasn't very familiar with the company and had no idea they were doing so well.
    I scheduled a phone conversation with the recruiter where we talked for at least 45 minutes about my background and what I was looking for. Then I had a 1h phone screen where I was asked some theoretical questions, and a hashmap implementation among other things - no actual screenshare coding.
    A few days later I got an email about traveling to palo alto for an in person interview.
    The interview was a great experience, everybody I talked to seemed bright and happy to be there. In between interviews, I got a tour of the offices which was pretty cool.
    It took almost a couple of weeks for them to get back to me after that - unfortunately I didn't get it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Box in January 2012.

The interview was basic, went through my CV asking about it. Also, asked what my plans are for the future. Describe what you do currently, do you like it, where do you think you be best fit.
    If I know what is box, gave me an introduction about the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Box in September 2011.

Most technically challenging interview process I've ever been through - which was part of the attraction of the company.

Interview Questions
    Several back and forth rounds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Box in June 2011.

Proces was good, but they did not tell me what was wrong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Box in June 2011.

I interviewed with box.net last year and rejected before they gave me offer as I got work with labs in Yahoo! (same company). This year I interviewed them again as last year it was so pleasant interviewing them. They did line up really bad interviewers who I think did not understand my resume and asked me absolutely irrelevant questions. I think if you only want to work with front end then you should go to box.net, there is no backend engineering team in box.net. It was really insulting the way interviews were taken.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Box in April 2013.

I got an email from a recruiter to set up an HR interview. It went very well, and the HR was very nice and polite. We set time for an online interview.
    The interview wasn't hard, but I failed it. See below questions for what I have been asked.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of numbers with positive and negative, find pairs that sum to zero   Answer Question
    • Above question, but now finding 3 numbers which sums to zero.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between HashTable and BinaryTree   Answer Question
    • Inner Join vs Outer Join in MySQL   Answer Question

Worked for Box? Contribute to the Community!