Box Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

24 interviews

3.2

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Box.

Recruiter sets up phone screen with manager.

Interview Questions
  • No hard technical or coding question, only conversation about technologies.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Box

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Box in January 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter over LinkedIn and had a call with the recruiter. A call with the manager was setup within a few days. That call was mostly focused on discussing my background and the role I was going to be interviewed for. I was told that I will be invited onsite shortly for a series of technical interviews.

After a reschedule (requested by me), I attended the onsite interviews. I had 2 rounds of technical interviews and a manager lunch interview. Tech interviews included white boarding and in each interview, there were 2 people (one doing the interview and the other shadowing). The level of difficulty was not too bad but I didnot do well and after the manager lunch interview, the onsite coordinator very politely took me aside and told me that based on the first few interviews, I will not be a good fit so the rest of the interviews were not conducted. I completely understood the situation and no hard feelings.

Pros:
    1. recruiter and onsite coordinator were very nice and friendly throughout.
    2. Interviewers were very experienced , patient and took time to answer my questions.
    3. Environment was vibrant and the office decor was cool.

Cons:
    None really.

Overall fast and efficient interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Design an elevator algorithm
      basic core java concepts and a string related whiteboarding exercise
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

interviewed at Box in August 2013.

Get job information on box career. Finished two code challenge but get rejected with no reason. It's kind of ridiculous that I ranked #1 in the code challenge leaderboard and my java code runs faster than their time limit of C. But I still get rejected. Sent an email to ask why and get a response of "No position fits you." Really? Then what's the point of the code challenge?

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Box in June 2013.

I was invited to apply through LinkedIn, and was put in contact with a recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview with a project manager. Then there was a typical on-site interview with several 1-1 sessions of Q&A and whiteboard coding. I liked the mix of computer science focused questions and real-world software engineering questions, and I really liked the personalities of people interviewing me. The atmosphere there seemed energetic and like a good place to be productive.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate a bit but the offer was already quite good.

Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Box in February 2013.

My application was submitted by an internal referral, and within a week a recruiter contacted me to set up a phone interview and an on-site interview.

The company shows the vibrant energy of a start-up, and everyone I interviewed with seems to really enjoy their work. I even saw the founder, Aaron Levie, during my interview. He is very passionate about the company and seems very approachable.

My on-site interview was consist of five interviews. Each interview covered a different area, such as coding, OO-design, or system design. All the questions I was asked are reasonable technical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am not a particularly OO person, so I didn't answer the OO design question well. Be prepared for such a interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First interview was just a personality and very basic programming naming conventions check. It lasted around 30 minutes. The next stage was a technical Skype interview with a software engineer which lasted about 1 hour.

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Box.

They contacted me really fast and set a regular phone interview.
    Then scheduled a Skype technical interview.
    The interviewer was very kind, and asked me only one question.
    Unfortunately I didn't find the question really relevant to coding skills but rather checking if you know it and can pretend not to know it, or just go the naive way.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that gets a integer and returns true if the integer is prime   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Box in November 2012.

Two 1 hour phone interviews then onsite interview with 3 different people. Most of them were standard interview questions but some questions don't necessarily have a right answer so hard to see how well you are doing. You will probably get a response within a week. Box's office is really nice

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

The interview process with Box was great. It was easily apparent that everyone loved working at Box. Also, it was clear that they were serious about hiring good talent. The technical interview started with a phone screen. This was a standard phone screen with a basic programming question to check for competency and personality. This was then followed by two rounds of interviews. interviews consisted of both technical focus interviews and personality interviews. The questions were nothing new. Search the Internet and you will find the answers. The technical interviews had 2 engineers. One performed the interview while the other watched. The personality interviews were more casual.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were extremely difficult. They can all be found online or in other posts at glassdoor.com. There were open ended questions, which those can be the most difficult since there is not point when you have "finished".   Answer Question
    Negotiation phase was great. They were responsive to my concerns and very active about addressing my needs.

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Box in August 2012.

I did a set of interviews at Box very recently.

My first impression of the place is that it's a nasty commute to get to, if one doesn't live close by on the Peninsula. Traffic to get to & from the office on El Camino Real seems very likely to be a snarl during the day, and if you're doing Caltrain, be certain to catch the right train, or else you might not make the shuttle you were hoping for.

I did see the giant slide in the lobby from the 2nd floor. According to the front desk receptionists, it's rarely used. Before going into your interview, you can pick up a few cold drinks (sodas, water, etc.) from the cooler that's right in the lobby.

The work environment is of the large room with worktables variety (i.e. no cubicles, minimal personal space and nowhere to hide where one can just concentrate on what's in front of you). Various meeting rooms and server closets (presumably) break up the workspace areas a bit.

Interviews are conducted in those meeting rooms. They have the glass walled "fishbowl" kind of meeting rooms (where everyone walking or rolling by on scooters can peek in and see you doing your whiteboard dance) and others that are four solid white walls (where you write your whiteboard answers on the walls… the scrawling from the markers doesn't clean off the walls super well but they can be erased with some effort).

They had a few people from my potential team talking with me and then a couple others from a non-related team. One of the interviews was a team, where one of the interviewers had a silent partner sent along to observe (and learn) how Box ritually slaughters their candidates.

I got to step into the recruiters area and they have a white board full of names where offers have been extended, indicating they are hiring aggressively (which also can be seen as a potential danger sign… binging on a large amount of new hires can lead to purging when today's dot com 2.0 boom times turn bad).

Don't assume getting in here for an on-site interview means a job at Box is a shoo-in though: even though Box is apparently in dire need of help with my expertise (and the team I interviewed with is supposedly short staffed for the amount of work they have on the books to do), I clearly fouled up at least one of my interview answers and that's most certainly what got me vetoed from getting an offer. Study up on specifics closer to whatever type of developer role your interviewing for, but also be ready for general computer science topics (ala traditional Apple or Google interviews). Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Identify where potential race conditions can happen in this hardware & database configuration:

1) validate that folder Z already exists in cache or in the db
      2) invalidate cache data for Z
      3) INSERT file 'c' into folder Z
      4) gather folder Z + children
      5) update cache with new information about folder Z

hardware set-up would be as follows:

--- cache machine 1
                            // --------------------------- \\
      outside world -- --- cache machine 2 --- database
                            \\ --------------------------- //
                               --- cache machine 3

While any machine might be asked about files within folder Z, the actual data of folder Z will be cached on exactly 1 machine out of any of the machines that have cache data.
        View Answer
    • If you speak with a dramatically senior engineer (i.e. old-school Comp Sci, not to mention much more senior than anyone else you'll ever see at Box,) this is the question he's likely to shoot at you:

Given an integer of a certain bit length, does it have an even or odd number of parity bits?
        View Answers (2)
    • Design software to control an elevator system in a building   View Answer

Worked for Box? Contribute to the Community!