Box

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.4

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online and had a two hour skype interview with two different engineers back-to-back. Each asked a specific technical question. The first asked the unival tree question and the second asked the elevator question. I was unprepared so did not perform well and as expected. Therefore I did not make it through.

Other Interview Reviews for Box

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Got contacted by a recruiter to set up a techinical interview right away. Talked to two engineers, I thought both went well. One asked about the elevator question and another asked to write a method that determines whether a tree is unival.

Interview Questions
    • The elevator question might catch someone off guard if you don't think about it before/code it out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Box.

Applied online. The process took around one week. Recruiter scheduled two back to back 45 minute technical phone interviews. If you do well on these then you are given an offer right away.

Interview Questions
    • Design an elevator system with 50 floors and 4 elevators.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I had two back to back hour long interviews. In the first one I had to come up with a program to output strings so that they are justified (like in Word), and the second one asked the famous elevator scheduling problem.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Box.

Applied online and was offered an interview within two weeks
    First interviewer was nice and took time to learn more about me
    Second interviewer talked less than 3 minutes the entire interview

Interview Questions
    • Given array find all the sets of two numbers that add up to a target number
      Elevator Question

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Box in October 2014.

Submitted an application online and received an email from the recruiter regarding a phone screen in less than 12 hours. I sent in my availability and eventually scheduled an interview for a week later. I had two back to back hour long technical interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Box in October 2014.

Applied online, got a reply a while later about scheduling a 2 hour Skype interview. They said they were busy, so took a few more weeks before I actually interviewed. Interviewed with two separate engineers, they seemed fairly nice, but both of them pretty much got right away into having me solve the technical question. The first one was the elevator design problem, the second one about making a deep copy of a linked list with next pointers, and random pointers to a node in the list.

Interview Questions
    • There is so much that goes into the elevator design problem, I didn't think fast enough to write out a good solution and code it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

First round: 2 back-to-back skype interview, 1 hour each. I was asked to design an elevator system. Then questions about checking unival trees, and count unival subtrees. The interviewers were very helpful. Did not come up with the best answers on the first tries, but got them right with hints from interviewers.

Second round: 30 minutes phone interview with a manager. Discussed design of a project I did.

Got offer on the next day.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Box in September 2014.

Worst interview ever. Extremely rude and arrogant people. No respect at all for the people they are interviewing. One of the worst onsite ever.

Initially there was a phone interview with the hiring manager . He explained the team and the job. After some delay he arranged for a phone technical interview with one of the engineers.
    The phone interview required collaborative coding (collabedit). 2 Basic Data-structure CS questions.
    After not receiving a answer for a week i emailed the hiring manager and he said some recruiter will contact me for the next steps.
    After another week the onsite was scheduled. Went there. Had a series of interviews with extremely rude people and the most weirdest of CS questions. I get the idea of asking CS questions related to the field. Basic Datastructure knowledge i feel is necessary as well but there is a line between asking good reasonable CS data structure questions and something old school and irrelevant( electrical engineering questions like signals ? waves ? ), even bit masking questions(which i solved) but the interviewer wanted a one line answer which had a worse time complexity than the solution i gave. Google interviews are tough but atleast they ask sensible questions and are nice enough to point you in the right direction/give some hint/acknowledge that sometimes there can be a false negative in interviews.
    The only good thing was probably the food .

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Box.

Recruiter sets up phone screen with manager.

Interview Questions
    • No hard technical or coding question, only conversation about technologies.   View Answer