Boy Scouts of America District Executive Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Resume submission, phone screening, face to face group interview with management and current employees. Few hour process, took about a month to complete entire process from applying to accepting offer

Interview Questions

• How do you handle certain volunteers? How do you reach goals/ Time Management   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boy Scouts of America

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

HORRIBLE!! DO NOT INTERVIEW WITH THIS COMPANY.. After four seperate interviews and a background check......only to be told they are going with someone else via US MAIL!!! Spent hours of time on a field interview only to not be given the position. What a waist of time. I believe it is racial discrimination as I am a Black male with a college degree in St.Loui MO.

Interview Questions

• If you had a puzzle name the pieces that would make your ideal job..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and I received a call within two weeks. I was interviewed by a District Executive within the same department I applied to, meet and greet by everyone in the department. They seemd a bit unorganized and had way too many late evening follow-up interviews. Once you meet with the COO and CEO you are most likely hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work within a non-profit organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Findlay, OH).

Interview

I interviewed twice with the BSA, Tuscaloosa AL and Findlay OH (my home was in Iowa). If you are on the national waiting list, expect to travel. You may be so lucky as to interview for an opening in your local Council, but if they don't have any and you really want to work for the BSA, plan on relocating.
    The interview is involved but not intense. With both locations, I toured the territory I would be working in, met the Council staff and executives, saw the camps, and met some volunteers. Both locations, as I was travelling, put me up for an overnight stay, and Tuscaloosa picked me up from the airport. Plan on the interview to take at least 4 hours.
    You get the feeling like the council executives really want to get to know you and see whether you will fit in.
    The actual "Interview" is a BSA standardized questionaire that the staff can as a basis for the interview. That part, usually at the end of the tours, took about an hour. Tuscaloosa was more by the book in the interview, Findlay was more casual conversation.

Interview Questions

• "When was a situation where you had to break a rule to get something done?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired by Findlay.
    Tuscaloosa ended up hiring a local person, which made me feel like I wasted my time.
    There really wasn't a negotiation. They have a standardized set of salary tables (and some vehicle/gas allowances) that are based on the Council's size and geographical location.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America in January 2015.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first was with general interview questions and the second included more people with more detail about the position. Overall it was a great opportunity to work.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

The interview process was quite smooth. Got a fast response for an interview. Started out with a panel interview then was called for an initial 1-1 interview. Afterwards, I was called for a second interview at which time I was then offered the position. The process was a bit tedious but they were very professional and was pleased how they were very selective of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall the specific questions, but do recall that they ask LOTS of questions. They really try to get to the personality of the person and they make it a point to be very upfront of what the job will entail including how demanding it will be. It really is no surprise once your hired because they are very open and honest initially about what it takes for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

salary was not negotiable.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

I was brought in for a first round interview. A few days later I was contacted to schedule a "field day" which is basically the second round of the interview process. You go out in the district with the supervisor and basically meet all of the other counterparts to your district that you would be working closely with. This is their opportunity to ask you questions (usually the same ones) and to see if they also like you. It is a very long and overwhelming day but it does allow you to learn more about the position.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle the stress, demands of the job, and the time away from your family?   Answer Question

A lot of job details did not match up from the first and second round of the interview process. If I would have been told the same information in the first round I would have never even schedule the field day. For example, in the interview they say you are not eligible for promotion until 2.5-3 years on the job, but sometimes they can make exceptions. In the second interview I was told you are not eligible until 3 years and then you will usually wait 1-2 years for a position to become available.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

After the initial testing and screening process I was put on a national list of eligible new hires. This was very frustrating because it gave no flexibility as to where I would be hired and instead made it so that I was pretty much forced to take the first position that came open. With that being said there were many, many open positions and I still sat on that list for 5 months even though I was willing to relocate to anywhere for the position.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

Applied online, went to the office and interviewed three times in the following order: DFS, Field Director, then Scout Executive. Nothing too crazy, pretty laid back. The final interview with the Scout Executive seemed more like a formality and him just welcoming me to the office. Was offered a position almost immediately thereafter by phone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would reach these membership goals with these numbers in this area (the district in which I eventually was put in)   Answer Question

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

First you do a word interview.
    Followed by interview with Direct or Field Service, Field Director, Scout Executive.

You will do 2 rounds of this type of process. They will ask for knowledge about scouts, which isn't a deal breaker but it helps.