Boy Scouts of America

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.8

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

District Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

The interview process was quite smooth. Got a fast response for an interview. Started out with a panel interview then was called for an initial 1-1 interview. Afterwards, I was called for a second interview at which time I was then offered the position. The process was a bit tedious but they were very professional and was pleased how they were very selective of candidates.

Interview Questions
  • Don't recall the specific questions, but do recall that they ask LOTS of questions. They really try to get to the personality of the person and they make it a point to be very upfront of what the job will entail including how demanding it will be. It really is no surprise once your hired because they are very open and honest initially about what it takes for the job.   Answer Question
salary was not negotiable.

Other Interview Reviews for Boy Scouts of America

District Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

I was brought in for a first round interview. A few days later I was contacted to schedule a "field day" which is basically the second round of the interview process. You go out in the district with the supervisor and basically meet all of the other counterparts to your district that you would be working closely with. This is their opportunity to ask you questions (usually the same ones) and to see if they also like you. It is a very long and overwhelming day but it does allow you to learn more about the position.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle the stress, demands of the job, and the time away from your family?   Answer Question

A lot of job details did not match up from the first and second round of the interview process. If I would have been told the same information in the first round I would have never even schedule the field day. For example, in the interview they say you are not eligible for promotion until 2.5-3 years on the job, but sometimes they can make exceptions. In the second interview I was told you are not eligible until 3 years and then you will usually wait 1-2 years for a position to become available.

District Executive Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

After the initial testing and screening process I was put on a national list of eligible new hires. This was very frustrating because it gave no flexibility as to where I would be hired and instead made it so that I was pretty much forced to take the first position that came open. With that being said there were many, many open positions and I still sat on that list for 5 months even though I was willing to relocate to anywhere for the position.

District Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Applied online, went to the office and interviewed three times in the following order: DFS, Field Director, then Scout Executive. Nothing too crazy, pretty laid back. The final interview with the Scout Executive seemed more like a formality and him just welcoming me to the office. Was offered a position almost immediately thereafter by phone.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would reach these membership goals with these numbers in this area (the district in which I eventually was put in)   Answer Question

District Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

First you do a word interview.
    Followed by interview with Direct or Field Service, Field Director, Scout Executive.

You will do 2 rounds of this type of process. They will ask for knowledge about scouts, which isn't a deal breaker but it helps.

District Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

You will be interviewed by a group of District Directors, or the Field Director / Director of Field Services, who will ask a standard set of questions. You will likely need to complete 2-3 interviews before being hired

District Executive Interview

Had two brief interviews and was quickly hired. They were very straightforward about how difficult the job was. There were no surprises in the interview.

District Executive Interview

They reached out to me via email for a first, then second interview. I was asked to take a personality test after the first interview. I was also asked to submit an application to the national organization for approval before proceeding to the second interview. It was a pretty standard experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in November 2013.

Was notified of interviews taking place on the campus of my alma mater. Signed up for one, met with the Assistant Scout Executive. Had a great interview, which lasted close to two hours. Was brought in for a second interview with the Development Director (CFO) and Scout Executive (CEO). Took the personality test online, and was told they would be offering me a position. However, it wouldn't be in the city in which I had applied and was interviewed for. There was no negotiation on this. The interview was great, but actually working at the BSA was horrible.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, as I had previously experience in a similar field. I do feel like the job description was "undersold" to me though.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

District Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Started with an online letter of interest. After several weeks, did a one on one interview with a field supervisor. Took a personality and passed an online personality test. A week or two later, I interviewed with a panel of volunteers from the district. Scheduled and interviewed with another field supervisor and the council director of field service. Finally, I interviewed with the council chief executive. Was told the next day that I was not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Want would you do if you were aware anther employee was cheating on his expense report?   View Answer