Boy Scouts of America

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

District Executive

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – You will be interviewed by a group of District Directors, or the Field Director / Director of Field Services, who will ask a standard set of questions. You will likely need to complete 2-3 interviews before being hired

Interviewed at Boy Scouts of America

Interview Details – Had two brief interviews and was quickly hired. They were very straightforward about how difficult the job was. There were no surprises in the interview.

Interview Question – Do you understand the position?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boy Scouts of America

Interview Details – They reached out to me via email for a first, then second interview. I was asked to take a personality test after the first interview. I was also asked to submit an application to the national organization for approval before proceeding to the second interview. It was a pretty standard experience.

Interview Question – They pretty much asked standard interview questions.   Answer Question

District Executive

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – Started with an online letter of interest. After several weeks, did a one on one interview with a field supervisor. Took a personality and passed an online personality test. A week or two later, I interviewed with a panel of volunteers from the district. Scheduled and interviewed with another field supervisor and the council director of field service. Finally, I interviewed with the council chief executive. Was told the next day that I was not a good fit.

Interview Question – Want would you do if you were aware anther employee was cheating on his expense report?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in June 2012.

Interview Details – It took me 1 year to get the job, interviewed with 5 people for more Than 5 months, then they told me they won't considered me because they found someone with more experience. They called me 3 months after (8 months total) to offer me the job

Interview Question – You have to sign some document about not being gay and about gay discrimination   Answer Question

District Executive

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – Applied through emailing them directly. Had two interviews with simple questions.

Interview Question – This job is very different fromt he experience you had as a volunteer. How would you be good as a professional?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation. They limit how much they can spend on entry level executives.

District Executive

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – Very general interview questions. What are your biggest strengths/weaknesses? How do you handle difficult customers? etc. etc. etc.

Interview Question – Are you an avowed homosexual or athiest?   View Answer

Orem, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in December 2009.

Interview Details – One to two interviews. Take a computerized test for experience and what if scenarios. Resume a must. Dress in executive casual wearing natural colors. Be knowledgeable of the programs in the BSA and the job you are interviewing for.

Interview Question – Are you willing to live the Scout Oath & Law?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is pretty standard with little negotiation. Nothing else is really negotiable.

Hurst, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in August 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a phone call from the Director of Field Services. We scheduled an interview and I arrived. After chatting for a while, I was taken to speak with a Field Director. The interview continued here, and after talking for a while (both in a 1:1 and 2:1 setting), we exchanged contact information. I went back to the original office and took a personality assessment. After this, I was told that I would be contacted concerning their decision. They reached a decision about a week later, and I told them that I needed some time to think about it. I never called them back, but they did call me and ask for my answer. I accepted, much to my chagrin.

Interview Question – Please describe a time when you had to show leadership, how you did so, and describe the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation beyond starting date. I was given a salary number, and upon asking whether or not it was negotiable, was flatly told no.

Birmingham, AL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in March 2011.

Interview Details – Given a contact by a contact. Contacted Contact and remained persistent as far as calling back and calling back, etc. to get in-person interview. (whole process was phone interview. Had two in-person interviews (one with DFS and final with Scout Executive) and a ride-along(with DFS). Was hired on way back from ride-along.

Interview Question – What is your management style?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable. I just accepted their terms.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boy Scouts of America District Executive interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boy Scouts of America employees and interview candidates.