Boy Scouts of America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Resume submission, phone screening, face to face group interview with management and current employees. Few hour process, took about a month to complete entire process from applying to accepting offer

Interview Questions

• How do you handle certain volunteers? How do you reach goals/ Time Management   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

HORRIBLE!! DO NOT INTERVIEW WITH THIS COMPANY.. After four seperate interviews and a background check......only to be told they are going with someone else via US MAIL!!! Spent hours of time on a field interview only to not be given the position. What a waist of time. I believe it is racial discrimination as I am a Black male with a college degree in St.Loui MO.

Interview Questions

• If you had a puzzle name the pieces that would make your ideal job..   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

I applied by email, the process took a week. Face-to-face interview, simple questions about resume, previous work experiences, interests. Overall, it is a really easy interview, mention you like working with kids would be helpful. The interview took 15-20 minutes.

Boy Scouts District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

Took forever. I believe there were 6 separate interviews before I was hired. Very thorough. They call the initial interview "panning for gold" because it really is a cattle call of everybody who has applied. Then they narrow it down. I met with one executive and I passed the test with him. Passed me along to others. I came back to the building 6 separate times. Enjoyed my 5 years with the Boy Scouts. Others went through the same interview process but only lasted a few months.

Interview Questions

• Mine centered on the pay cut I was taking and career change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and I received a call within two weeks. I was interviewed by a District Executive within the same department I applied to, meet and greet by everyone in the department. They seemd a bit unorganized and had way too many late evening follow-up interviews. Once you meet with the COO and CEO you are most likely hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work within a non-profit organization?   Answer Question

Boy Scouts District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

I found the job opening on the national organization's website from a Google search and got a job description and location. I found the contact information on the local council's website and sent in my resume and cover letter. I was contacted by email for a phone screening about two weeks later, we scheduled a Skype interview a week later, I waited 2 weeks and got a face to face interview, I had a group interview with two managers then another with the executive director, I did a ride along interview on top of my face to face later the same day, and I was offered the job 3 weeks later by phone. The process was slow but professional. I felt that the Chief Opperating Officer wasn't very interested in my responses to the Skype interview as he looked down making notes for most of the time. He also was 10 minutes late for our skype call and showed up with the wrong person's file. After that, I felt professionally treated and fairly informed of what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Are you a competitive, goal-oriented person who works well on a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation where you managed volunteers or had to resolve a conflict. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The base salary, bonus structure, and lack of relocation assistance for entry-level positions were non-negotiable. I was allowed to live wherever I wanted as long as it was within my geographic area of responsibility.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was short and quick, very friendly and laid back. It took twenty minutes, and it consisted more of them explaining the different job positions than me talking myself up.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a confrontational situation between you and a co-worker or camper?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Findlay, OH).

Interview

I interviewed twice with the BSA, Tuscaloosa AL and Findlay OH (my home was in Iowa). If you are on the national waiting list, expect to travel. You may be so lucky as to interview for an opening in your local Council, but if they don't have any and you really want to work for the BSA, plan on relocating.
    The interview is involved but not intense. With both locations, I toured the territory I would be working in, met the Council staff and executives, saw the camps, and met some volunteers. Both locations, as I was travelling, put me up for an overnight stay, and Tuscaloosa picked me up from the airport. Plan on the interview to take at least 4 hours.
    You get the feeling like the council executives really want to get to know you and see whether you will fit in.
    The actual "Interview" is a BSA standardized questionaire that the staff can as a basis for the interview. That part, usually at the end of the tours, took about an hour. Tuscaloosa was more by the book in the interview, Findlay was more casual conversation.

Interview Questions

• "When was a situation where you had to break a rule to get something done?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired by Findlay.
    Tuscaloosa ended up hiring a local person, which made me feel like I wasted my time.
    There really wasn't a negotiation. They have a standardized set of salary tables (and some vehicle/gas allowances) that are based on the Council's size and geographical location.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America in January 2015.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first was with general interview questions and the second included more people with more detail about the position. Overall it was a great opportunity to work.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

The interview process was quite smooth. Got a fast response for an interview. Started out with a panel interview then was called for an initial 1-1 interview. Afterwards, I was called for a second interview at which time I was then offered the position. The process was a bit tedious but they were very professional and was pleased how they were very selective of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall the specific questions, but do recall that they ask LOTS of questions. They really try to get to the personality of the person and they make it a point to be very upfront of what the job will entail including how demanding it will be. It really is no surprise once your hired because they are very open and honest initially about what it takes for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

salary was not negotiable.