Boy Scouts of America

Getting the Interview

39 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

District Executive

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – Applied through emailing them directly. Had two interviews with simple questions.

Interview Question – This job is very different fromt he experience you had as a volunteer. How would you be good as a professional?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation. They limit how much they can spend on entry level executives.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Irving, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in May 2009.

Interview Details – First interview on Tuesday, called back for a 2nd one Wednesday. Job offer that Friday. Interviewed with one person.

Marketing Internship Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – I apply this marketing internship through my school's career center. After few days, I get a phone call for the initial interview. The HR just asks me some questions based on my resume.

Interview Question – the question is based on my resume   Answer Question

District Executive

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – Very general interview questions. What are your biggest strengths/weaknesses? How do you handle difficult customers? etc. etc. etc.

Interview Question – Are you an avowed homosexual or athiest?   View Answer

Orem, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in December 2009.

Interview Details – One to two interviews. Take a computerized test for experience and what if scenarios. Resume a must. Dress in executive casual wearing natural colors. Be knowledgeable of the programs in the BSA and the job you are interviewing for.

Interview Question – Are you willing to live the Scout Oath & Law?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is pretty standard with little negotiation. Nothing else is really negotiable.

Hurst, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in August 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a phone call from the Director of Field Services. We scheduled an interview and I arrived. After chatting for a while, I was taken to speak with a Field Director. The interview continued here, and after talking for a while (both in a 1:1 and 2:1 setting), we exchanged contact information. I went back to the original office and took a personality assessment. After this, I was told that I would be contacted concerning their decision. They reached a decision about a week later, and I told them that I needed some time to think about it. I never called them back, but they did call me and ask for my answer. I accepted, much to my chagrin.

Interview Question – Please describe a time when you had to show leadership, how you did so, and describe the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation beyond starting date. I was given a salary number, and upon asking whether or not it was negotiable, was flatly told no.

New River Adventure Staff Interview

Interviewed at Boy Scouts of America

Interview Details – You send in an application that you get off the internet with a resume attached. Then you get a call with a low ball salary and there is no wiggle room. If you accept the offer, you are told where to show up and you are hired.

Negotiation Details – There was none. Either you accepted or you did not get it.

Very Easy Interview

Office Assistant Interview

Office Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in July 2009.

Interview Details – Saw sign in scout store and applied, was interviewed by office manager.

Interview Question – no questions were dififcult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. take it or leave it.

Birmingham, AL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in March 2011.

Interview Details – Given a contact by a contact. Contacted Contact and remained persistent as far as calling back and calling back, etc. to get in-person interview. (whole process was phone interview. Had two in-person interviews (one with DFS and final with Scout Executive) and a ride-along(with DFS). Was hired on way back from ride-along.

Interview Question – What is your management style?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable. I just accepted their terms.

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the BSA at my local council to become a District Executive. While I am a recent college graduate, I have interviewed several times (for part-time student jobs, summer internships, and even other entry-level positions). This really wasn't the best interview I have had. We basically went through a packet of questions. I would answer a question and both interviewers would spend about 20 seconds in silence writing down my answer. They were incredibly friendly, but there wasn't really much dialogue- just Q&A.

Pros- incredibly efficient and prompt about scheduling the interview. Follow-up was very quick (1 week passed between scheduling the interview, the interview itself, and the offer).
Cons- very static interview process, awkward at times.

Interview Question – Be prepared to discuss how exactly you are qualified to help make scouting happen.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was a conditional job offer, if I were to not pursue part-time graduate studies, I would advance in the process.