Boys & Girls Clubs

2.4

Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2015.

Employees must have a strong interest in working with children, and actively supporting the individual needs of each child. They should be emotionally mature, and willing to commit to the level of service Boys & Girls Club aims to provide. Employees must take pride in all aspects of their designated responsibilities, and be dedicated to further development of their professional skills.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions, why do you want to work here? How will you benefit the company?   Answer Question

Activity Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in February 2015.

Submitted a resume and cover letter online, called back in 2 days. Interview was long, a lot of situational questions, eg. "what would you do if.." It was the director and co director who interviewed me, both were very nice and approachable. Informal setting but still very difficult on the spot questions that caught me off guard, some were difficult because I didn't know their policies on certain issues (such as disciplining) nor could I find any info on them online...

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if two children started to physically fight?   Answer Question
    • What king of activities would you plan for the following age groups, K-3, 4-7, 8-12   Answer Question

Unit Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

The interview process deals with how you respond to problems. They ask questions and then ask what your response would be in a dangerous situation or a situation where you do not feel comfortable. They also ask you about your skill level and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to a child who is uncomplient with the rules, but you later find out from the parent that he/she has a disability and a behavioral problem?   Answer Question

Part Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC
    Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in November 2014.

Interview was great. Prior to the interview I told their HR person Mrs Alisha that I had to pick my children up before 6 pm. I was told that the position was from 2-6 pm and if I were chosen that someone from HR would contact me to notify and let me know if they could arrange me leaving by 530 pm. Three days later I was contacted by HR Mrs Hall and told the position was from 2-6 pm and if I could make future arrangements with my kids schedule to please call them back. (Im assuming) I was hired. Three days after that I was told thru my job recruiter that she received a email from the boys and girls HR stating I turned the job down and that they were willing to work with me within my time restraints. The email further stated that they were even willing to allow me to work at the Irmo sc location, which is 30 mins closer to my house. I was originally told the position was only being held for Cayce west Columbia location. This is quite the opposite of what was explained to me from their HR Mrs Hall. I didn't like looking like a liar or that I declined a job that I went out of my way to interview for I would not want to waste anyone's time. I told my job recruiter I was going to see if the position was still available and see where the descepency was. Upon speaking to HR #1 Mrs Alisha out of only 2 HR staff I was told she did not send any email and that they had filled the position but were willing to allow me to leave by 530 pm and I should call back in 2 weeks to address my concerns with the HR #2 Mrs Hall and see if any opening. I tried numerous times calling leaving vm with no response. Finally I called HR supervisor Mrs Harper to figure out the descrepencies. After explaining everything she reappointed me to #2 HR Mrs Hall and said she would have her call me directly. 2 hours later #2 HR Mrs Hall called. I explained the inconsistencies with # 1 was I actually hired? #2 will they in fact allow me to work within time restraints? and at the Irmo location? She stated she did not send a email to my recruiter however she in fact was who I originally spoke to. I asked her if she could follow up with my recruiter to notify her that neither she nor HR # 1 Mrs Alisha sent out a email as that would eliminate anything in question. She replied by nastily stating she didn't care to take the time to clarify anything, that my recruiters email is here say and that my interview had great reviews and the position was still available. She went further to say all locations including Irmo had positions available, as she stated that, a person in the background corrected her telling her the Cayce area is all they had then and now. So upon learning there were still positions available at any of their locations I reinterated, could they infact do as HR #1 Mrs Alisha said they were willing to, and allow me to work until 530 pm? HR #2 Mrs Hall replied by saying the position was from 2-6 pm and no one would've told me anything different. I ignitially thought maybe my recruiter misconstrued the email but clearly with their who, what, where , when conflicts and not cross referencing the boys and girls club have a SERIOUS break down in their communication both with future applicants and each other. In Short, There HR staff said completely opposite statements never clarifying any of their contradictive statements nor had any rashional reason to be nasty. If they are this unorthodox how would one even begin to equate procedure, policy etc??????

Interview Questions
    • If kids got into a scuffle how would you handle it?   View Answer

Never was clear if I actually got the job nor if they could allow me to work within my time restraints. They stated that the interview went well and I shouldn't have a issue with getting hired within the co, outside of positions time.

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

My online application was answered with three days of submitting. I interviewed with a panel of HR professionals, followed by an interview with the director I would be supporting. The panel interview was pretty standard featuring the questions one would expect. I would recommend preparing for the second interview as the managing interviewer will have some very specific questions.

Interview Questions
    • How Do you like to be managed? I found it unexpected because I had been my experience that managing top-down was an accepted practice and that direct report preferences was not considered--even if gauging work ethics.   Answer Question

Youth Counselor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in August 2014.

You have to get a background check, then take a drug test, if you pass this you have to watch a day worth of videos. After that you shadow a counselor and the whole process takes about a week.

Teen Program Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Was called to interview for a position different from the one I applied for. I spoke with Human Resources on the phone and then had a panel first round interview. Met with the director for a second round interview. Human Resources was very quick to follow up after the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational questions (describe a time when you had to work with a difficult teen, etc) and I was asked to describe my youth development philosophy.   Answer Question

Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2012.

They were very detailed. I felt like they genuinely cared about providing the best services to the members. I put in an application on April 2, 2012. I had an interview on April 16, 2012 and was hired the same day.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are based around following childcare and NJ After 3 guidelines.   Answer Question
    There was none.

Director Organizational Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2014.

Initial interview with recruiter, then panel interview with hiring manager and others. Recruiter left organization in middle of process - communication from organization stopped. No coordination with candidates regarding change for communication and/or receipt of materials/info sent to recruiter

Manager, Programs and Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in March 2010.

Very good process and warm staff. I never felt that it was unorganized. The only issue was that the position itself was undefined and the collective organization did not necessarily approve of it. Obviously I found out about this AFTER.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you could work on?   View Answer
    I was told what the salary was.