Boys & Girls Clubs

2.4

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Utica, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Utica, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Very informal interview. I applied for a position as a program director and was given a job offer. I later found out that the position was not open and had to accept a position as a group leader.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Activities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

They emailed me right away for an interview, and it was an overall positive experience. I felt like they wanted to ask me a lot of questions that were related to the job, but they also wanted to know what drew me to the company and the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is another application for a pencil, besides writing.   Answer Question
    It was pretty straightforward, not a lot of room to negotiate.

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Submitted a resume based on a craigslist posting. Got a call back, interviewed with CFO, then with president, CFO, and HR manager.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in August 2013.

Usual questions. Apparently there has been a great deal of turn over in this particular department. The approach to acquiring new donors is through direct mail (very expensive). Staff is not allowed to talk with and/or meet with Board.

With the reputation of such a fine organization, I was surprised they gave me the offer letter on the first day of work. My mistake, always ask for the offer letter before you start the job.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

I applied online and was called back very quickly. I went in for an interview two days later and was interviewed by three people. The questions were pretty easy and just asked about past experiences, why I applied there, what are my career goals, etc. The interviewers were unorganized and didn't know what they were doing.

Interview Questions

The place was extremely nasty and smelled bad and the pay was very low. Additionally, the director was rude and unprofessional.

Chief Information Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

I applied for the position online. I received a telephone interview request within a few days of applying. The interview was supposed to be an hour long but thirty minutes in to the interview I was told I could continue with the phone interview or that she could send me an email to have me answer the rest of the questions. I was taken aback by this sudden change since we hadn't really discussed my qualifications or the details of the position but I could tell she was ready to get of the phone. When I called back to ask if I needed to complete the questions I had already answered I was told that they already had everything they needed and didn't need to answer any additional questions. I would consider the interviewer to be rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • I never got to the question and answer session of the interview.   Answer Question

Van Driver/Program Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

got called up and was interviewed by 2 people within the next few days. has been a week and a half and still no call back.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to get the attention of a group of children?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a parent approached you really angry and upset?   Answer Question

Director of Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Tedious and slow. Phone interview with HR assistant- very scripted. Followed by second phone interview with HR (recruiter). in person interview with a panel of 3 including the hiring manager. All behavioral questions with next to no questions that elicit my real ability to do the job. weeks after interview to get offer together. Also had to write a letter. Really basic, silly for a job at the level I was interviewing. Makes you realize the caliber of typical applicant if this was a critical part of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Dont recall exact questions but all behavioral. What would you do in "x" situation; tell me about a time that you had to do "x"   Answer Question
    SLOW. HR team seems to have no experience outside this organization and be overly enamored with themselves and their perceived "best you will get anywhere" benefits. Free Parking is touted as an amazing part of the package. LOL. Pay is sub-standard. Benefits are average.

After School Program Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in December 2012.

I responded to an ad on Craigslist and received an invitation to interview within a week. I was asked to show up with a my resume and a list of activities I would consider leading with the children. I interviewed with the Child Care Director and the teacher with whom I would be working. It was very laid back. They asked basic questions about my previous experience and why I wanted to work with kids. They also shared stories about the kids they worked with, giving me a good idea of what to expect on the job. At the end, I was invited back for a working interview so that they could evaluate how I interacted or "clicked" with the kids.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty basic. They gave scenarios that were a little trick to answer because I didn't know their policies. "Pretend you are serving the kids snack (family style) and one kid begins to complain and make a scene saying that somebody got an unfair amount. How would you react to or diffuse the situation?"   Answer Question
    There's not much room to negotiate salary but your schedule is pretty flexible.

Grants Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2012.

I applied for a job with B&GC online, and was called for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork, as instructed and was presented with a paper application identical to the one I filled out online. My interview was scheduled for 11a, and they kept me waiting until 11:45a. The environment was very cold and sterile. The interview panel was stiff and not at all engaging. They kept referencing how the job is very process driven but all the questions were behavioral "how would you handle this awful situation" questions. After the interview, I was taken into another room by a really superficial and phony woman who proceeded to tell me about their benefits, touting "free parking" as their signature item. Standard medical benefits, but the vacation benefit is structured funny. I didn't get the sense they were really receptive to my questions about work life balance, professional development and advancement opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would handle an irate funder calling about an issue with a grant?   Answer Question