Boys & Girls Clubs

2.4

Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2012.

They were very detailed. I felt like they genuinely cared about providing the best services to the members. I put in an application on April 2, 2012. I had an interview on April 16, 2012 and was hired the same day.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are based around following childcare and NJ After 3 guidelines.   Answer Question
    There was none.

Activities Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in March 2012.

I responded to a Craigslist ad and got a call within a week or two. Initial interview was just a basic screening that didn't last long & a tour of the facility. Was called later that day for a second interview, scheduled the following day. 2nd interview wasn't much, just talked about the job and what my interests were. They were very accommodating and let me pick my club location and which part of the club I'd work in. The following week I had to pass a background check, drug test, and reference check. They asked for 4-5 references but only needed to hear from 3.

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solana Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solana Beach, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in March 2012.

Very easy and great hiring process. Got back to me quickly and promptly.

Recreation Area Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jasper, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jasper, GA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in February 2012.

I was first interviewed by the District Director. I was asked questions from a list of predefined questions. They wanted to know why I would want to work with children, about situations in past jobs, my ability to discipline appropriately, and how I would view the ideal staff-child relationship. I was then called back for an interview with the Club Director, using the same questions. The next day I was called and hired on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to discipline a child.   Answer Question

Senior Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in September 2011.

I knew someone who worked at the site. Gave me a referral and within a week I got called in for an interview. Basic interview questions and some geared towards working with children. Very easy and straight forward interview.

Homework Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in September 2011.

As a previous student I was hired upon reliability and frequent work while in highschool. I was given the chance to be hired without interview, but as the interview process goes, there are specific character traits that the Boys and Girls clubs requires, and that is of a patient, loving, and caring nature. If you cannot socialize well with young people and do not have self discipline then this is not the job for you.

Interview Questions
    wages are non-negotiable, you get a flat pay until you prove yourself in this profession. Your salary increases as your experience and efficiency increases.

Child Care Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in May 2011.

Met with boss for short informal interview and got the job a week later.

There was none.

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2011.

The only advice I could give would be to ensure more complete understanding of the responsibilities involved and the follow up process if those goals are not being met along the way. Lay out how those steps will be implemented as part of a review process.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you here? Why did you [leave] your last job?   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself. What do you do in your spare time?   View Answer
    I would describe the negotiation process as putting on a 'facade'. Every person wants what they believe they deserve. Meeting people in the middle is difficult when there are so many talented people looking for work. Hiring managers could use a 'salary bracket' and depending on performance, follow up accordingly so employees and managers are encouraged to do their best and have an incentive to choose one job over another. If they believe they have what it takes then they can earn that higher salary (or benefits, ect.) within the allotted amount of time. With the talent pool so large and multitudes of competing interests, including families and children, it is no wonder hiring managers have an incredible depth to traverse and explore.

Youth Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boerne, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boerne, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2011.

I spoke to Unit Director on the phone and scheduled a 1:1 interview. In the interview she toured me through the establishment and explained what occurred in each room. She was pretty detailed and very nice. A background check and detailed application were completed. The application included unique questions like what you would do in different situations. I was hired and started in two days.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you handle a group of children?   View Answer
    There was almost no negotiation phase. It was very matter of fact with a statement that it would immediately increase upon completion of my CDL license for driving the bus. When considering an offer I would realize that the job is high energy and you will have to work.

Unit Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2011.

Currently employed, emailed resume and filled out application for B&GC anyway. I received an email offering a phone interview. Interview took place the following day. The interview was rather short, not quite sure what to expect. Hoping for the best. Asked me to explain a time when I had to discipline a child; how many staff have I managed; how many children I supervised by myself; and the last question, what makes a program successful.

Interview Questions
    • To reiterate: How many children have I supervised alone?   View Answer
    • What makes an after-school program successful?   View Answer
    • How many volunteers/workers have you overseen?   Answer Question