Boys & Girls Clubs

Very Easy Interview

Staff Interview

Staff
Bentonville, AR

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2009.

Interview Details – Smooth and easy going.

Interview Question – They are all pretty basic   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start at minium wage.

Director of Development Interview

Director of Development

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs.

Interview Details – Tedious and slow. Phone interview with HR assistant- very scripted. Followed by second phone interview with HR (recruiter). in person interview with a panel of 3 including the hiring manager. All behavioral questions with next to no questions that elicit my real ability to do the job. weeks after interview to get offer together. Also had to write a letter. Really basic, silly for a job at the level I was interviewing. Makes you realize the caliber of typical applicant if this was a critical part of the interview process.

Interview Question – Dont recall exact questions but all behavioral. What would you do in "x" situation; tell me about a time that you had to do "x"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – SLOW. HR team seems to have no experience outside this organization and be overly enamored with themselves and their perceived "best you will get anywhere" benefits. Free Parking is touted as an amazing part of the package. LOL. Pay is sub-standard. Benefits are average.

Homework Tutor Interview

Homework Tutor
Wilmington, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in September 2011.

Interview Details – As a previous student I was hired upon reliability and frequent work while in highschool. I was given the chance to be hired without interview, but as the interview process goes, there are specific character traits that the Boys and Girls clubs requires, and that is of a patient, loving, and caring nature. If you cannot socialize well with young people and do not have self discipline then this is not the job for you.

Interview Question – What can you do to make a change in a kids life.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – wages are non-negotiable, you get a flat pay until you prove yourself in this profession. Your salary increases as your experience and efficiency increases.

Lifeguard Interview

Lifeguard
Solana Beach, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy and great hiring process. Got back to me quickly and promptly.

Interview Question – There really was none, very straight forward   Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2011.

Interview Details – The only advice I could give would be to ensure more complete understanding of the responsibilities involved and the follow up process if those goals are not being met along the way. Lay out how those steps will be implemented as part of a review process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you here? Why did you [leave] your last job?   View Answer
  • Tell me about yourself. What do you do in your spare time?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I would describe the negotiation process as putting on a 'facade'. Every person wants what they believe they deserve. Meeting people in the middle is difficult when there are so many talented people looking for work. Hiring managers could use a 'salary bracket' and depending on performance, follow up accordingly so employees and managers are encouraged to do their best and have an incentive to choose one job over another. If they believe they have what it takes then they can earn that higher salary (or benefits, ect.) within the allotted amount of time. With the talent pool so large and multitudes of competing interests, including families and children, it is no wonder hiring managers have an incredible depth to traverse and explore.

Grants Interview

Grants
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a job with B&GC online, and was called for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork, as instructed and was presented with a paper application identical to the one I filled out online. My interview was scheduled for 11a, and they kept me waiting until 11:45a. The environment was very cold and sterile. The interview panel was stiff and not at all engaging. They kept referencing how the job is very process driven but all the questions were behavioral "how would you handle this awful situation" questions. After the interview, I was taken into another room by a really superficial and phony woman who proceeded to tell me about their benefits, touting "free parking" as their signature item. Standard medical benefits, but the vacation benefit is structured funny. I didn't get the sense they were really receptive to my questions about work life balance, professional development and advancement opportunities.

Interview Question – Explain how you would handle an irate funder calling about an issue with a grant?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Counselor Interview

Senior Counselor
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in September 2011.

Interview Details – I knew someone who worked at the site. Gave me a referral and within a week I got called in for an interview. Basic interview questions and some geared towards working with children. Very easy and straight forward interview.

Interview Question – why would you like to work for this organization?   Answer Question

Activities Assistant Interview

Activities Assistant
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in March 2012.

Interview Details – I responded to a Craigslist ad and got a call within a week or two. Initial interview was just a basic screening that didn't last long & a tour of the facility. Was called later that day for a second interview, scheduled the following day. 2nd interview wasn't much, just talked about the job and what my interests were. They were very accommodating and let me pick my club location and which part of the club I'd work in. The following week I had to pass a background check, drug test, and reference check. They asked for 4-5 references but only needed to hear from 3.

Interview Questions

Recreation Area Supervisor Interview

Recreation Area Supervisor
Jasper, GA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed by the District Director. I was asked questions from a list of predefined questions. They wanted to know why I would want to work with children, about situations in past jobs, my ability to discipline appropriately, and how I would view the ideal staff-child relationship. I was then called back for an interview with the Club Director, using the same questions. The next day I was called and hired on.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to discipline a child.   Answer Question

Youth Leader Interview

Youth Leader
Boerne, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in January 2011.

Interview Details – I spoke to Unit Director on the phone and scheduled a 1:1 interview. In the interview she toured me through the establishment and explained what occurred in each room. She was pretty detailed and very nice. A background check and detailed application were completed. The application included unique questions like what you would do in different situations. I was hired and started in two days.

Interview Question – How well do you handle a group of children?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was almost no negotiation phase. It was very matter of fact with a statement that it would immediately increase upon completion of my CDL license for driving the bus. When considering an offer I would realize that the job is high energy and you will have to work.