Brake Check Interview Questions

1.5

Single Unit/Multi Unit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brake Check in February 2014.

Did my research on the Company this site. The reviews for the most part are fairly accurate. I did not even apply to this company, they pulled my resume from TX Work Solutions website and called me in for an interview. I have been in retail for nearly 18 years and I have never had an interview where 5 candidates were scheduled at the same time. We were all called into the conference room at the same time and asked to speak about ourselves. The VP of Operations (Allen Yakes) was the interviewer. After we finished he gave us the spill on the company’s background and what they were looking for in management candidates. After he finished we were told that 2nd interviews would be scheduled later in the week and if you are chosen to continue in the process expect a phone call.

I received a call and email from their recruiter (Irene Bellard) to come in for a 2nd interview at one of their locations for a Single or Multi Unit management position (DON’T BELIEVE THE PITCH). I went to the interview and sat waiting 20 minutes and the interview took all of 3 minutes. I was asked, "what can you bring to the company that no one else can?" followed by "How would you handle an employee that's not doing a repair job the way you were trained to do it?" Then I was told, "You are what we are looking for in a manager and I want to offer you a job." He asked what my salary requirement where and that's when he decided to let me know that new hires have to learn the business first before given his on single unit store, so all new managers start off as a Service Manager in Training to learn the repair side of the business and the base pay is between $500 and $650 weekly. After you master that you move into the sales side of the business and then into a Store Director's position and you will be paid 40K plus 16% of comp sells which is paid every 4 weeks. I thought "OK" I don't have any automotive background (which they tell you is not necessary or required and considering the Owners came from a restaurant background that would be like the pot calling the kettle black) that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea, so I asked if I could get back to him later in the day with an answer.

Well you know what they say about "first impressions” i.e., The King Author round-table interview and having to wait 20 minutes after my scheduled interview time to be seen. Well to make matters worse, I had to call the VP of Operations 3 times with 3 messages to get a call back for me to accept the offer. When he did call back I wasn't able to answer the phone and he didn't bother to leave a message. I called him back and he finally answered his phone. I told him I would like to accept the position and he was happy I decided to come on board with them. He was going to get in contact with their recruiter and have her email me the paperwork to fill out and send back to her, then he would set a date for me to meet with him to get me started with orientation classes. Well, 3 days later and 3 phone calls to him and 4 to his recruiter I finally got an email with the paperwork. I just have a feeling this is just the beginning of a nightmare and a look at things to come with this company...Communication thus far is a concern. I am sticking with my gut feelings on this one and not fill out the paperwork and keep searching for a better opportunity. I just declined the job offer. Hope this helps!!

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to the company that no else can?   View Answer
    Not Negotiable.
    I did accept the offer at first, but after other events, I decided not to accept.

Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Brake Check in April 2013.

The interview was very informal. The interviewer was more than 30 minutes late and did not seem to care that they were late. The questions were remedial for non-salary staff. After 10 minutes, I was offered the job. Training was less than a week and then sent to a store. The sales training was too basic even with lack of experience in automotive. I was promoted in less than two weeks from MIT to Service Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the different parts in the braking system.   View Answer
    There were no negotiation phase.

MIT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Brake Check in March 2013.

The interview I had lasted only about two mins, I have been in management for two decades, I was basically asked to drive to a few locations and if interested in offer call the recruiter ansd accept employment. However under the new vice presedent of operations your interview will be such as they are looking for leaders not managers. Dress business casual, maintain constant eye contact, be honest and put forth an energetic additude and you'll be hired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you can bring to the company that others cannot, why should I hire you and not the other applicants in the room waiting outside?   View Answer
    non negotiable

Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at Brake Check in July 2012.

poor communication with many unfulfilled promises

none

Manager In Training/Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brake Check in July 2011.

Though the interview process is very informal if you are given access to the vision by one of the few good men that work there it can be tempting. Huge upside. Unfortunately that vision is lost in the quality of people they keep around them. I would come prepared to ask some probing questions about how they treat their people.

Interview Questions
    • None. No question can be difficult when you only know what you know.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brake Check in July 2012.

OUTSTANDING!
    This job or company may not be for everyone but the people are real, care and true to their word.
    How many companies have you had the owner of the company spend an hour talking to you and treating you as an equal and truly interested in getting to know you.

Interview Questions
    • None, you talk about you, your experience, the company, what the company stands for.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brake Check in July 2011.

Quick phone interview to set up an appointment for a face-to-face interview.
    Face-to-face interview with District Manager and DM-in-training or Store Director. This interview is mostly to see if you have sales experience and the ability to deal with difficult customers (which you will need, given the number of returns for poor service that you will see). They also ask if you consider yourself a "People person" and if you are handy with tools and have your own toolbox.
    Drug test after successful interview and background check.

Interview Questions
    • Did I have my own toolbox and did I consider myself handy with tools.   View Answer
    No. My advice - $650 per week is what they pay managers, the $40K+ is what they pay Store Directors. If you are comfortable with this rate of pay for 65+ hours per week, then the job is yours. But if you are expecting to make the $40K+ within the next 6 months, you better be able to dazzle someone with your sales abilities quickly. Best to have automotive industry knowledge that includes brakes, alignments, front end work, rear axle work, A/C experience possible, etc., otherwise you will have to pick it up as you go along, getting your hands dirty with the technicians until you do.

Worked for Brake Check? Contribute to the Community!