Brandes Investment Partners

Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Lead Interview

QA Lead
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Interview Details – Several interviews with multiple team members

Interview Question – None really. SQL and automation skills were emphasized   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process starts out with a phone interview, where they ask you how you would deal with selling off a restaurant or a similar question to see how you would "value" the company you are selling.

If you pass this, they will then invite you to dinner to a fancy golf club restaurant. This I assume is to "get to know you" and see how you interact with other people. They'll ask you questions about what you like and the sort. It seemed disingenuous at times, but was still a nice gesture.

The following morning involves a series of group interviews, which is the last round of the interview process. This is where you are grilled two people at a time. At some point, you are also given a prompt and expected to write a one-page response. The question I got was whether or not Microsoft's decision to enter the tablet space was a good choice. There is also an accounting test where you have to fill in empty blanks of a statement.

Interview Question – One of the guys gave me a "case interview" where I had to determine the selling price of a time machine. How would I come up with a figure for this and my thought process. Again, they are testing your ability to "value" a product.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate
Durham, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2013.

Interview Details – They recruited on campus and I was selected for an on-campus interview. From there, if successful, they will fly you out to San Diego for a Superday.

Interview Question – In a down economy, how would you allocate your money?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Durham, NC

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in September 2013.

Interview Details – standard interview process, first round on Campus interview, applied through school online recruiting.
Not hired

Interview Question – very detailed about my internship experience   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Interview Details – Applied via career school website, got asked for in-person interview with senior member on campus, 30 minute interview, half behavioral, half technical questions (DCF Analysis)- need to know how to go into detail and give an example of a valuation, know the techniques, and the 3 financial statements

Interview Question – Just need to know the details of the financial statements and valuation techniques such as DCF analysis   Answer Question

Corporate Action Analyst Interview

Corporate Action Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Interview Details – Process was drawn out somewhat, but mostly due to department transition, with former manager moving to another internal group. I participated in a 1 on 1 interview to start, followed by a group interview and another 1 on 1 interview with the incoming manager.

Interview Question – No real zinger questions, mostly character questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation at all, only offer to review after 6 months, with opportunity for a raise.

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2011.

Interview Details – Began with in-person screening interview at my University. A few weeks later I was invited to the superday, which consisted of 6, 30 min interview sessions with either 1 or 2 analysts. Questions ranged from behavioral to technical, and a few brain teasers. There were not only financial questions, but economic questions to get a feel for candidates general knowledge and business acumen. There was also a skills assessment that tested accounting knowledge and a writing portion that was like a case study.

Interview Question – What do you think will be an effect from Bank of America's $5 debit card fee?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in September 2011.

Interview Details – Found Brandes through campus recruiting. I found them very prompt and polite through the interview process.

Interview Question – Walk me through a dcf analysis?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2010.

Interview Details – 1 on campus interview
1 all day on site interview consisting of 4 30 minute interviews with 2 employees each, 1 written test (it was a case question), and 1 economics test (included filling out some financial statement)

Interview Questions

• P&G (owners of Crest I guess) want to open a Crest branded website to start selling toothpaste. Should they? (this was the 30 min. written test)   Answer Question
  • Say you have 5 minutes to decide on a company to invest and you have 5 questions to ask. What are they?   Answer Question
  • Between Safeway and Microsoft, which do you think has a higher price/earnings ratio? What about Safeway and Apple?   Answer Question
  • Is a PE ratio of 1/5 good?   Answer Question
  • Say someone invented a time machine that takes 10 minutes to transport one person (it can only transport one person at a time and costs $100 each way). How much would you price the trips at? How much would you buy this time machine off this person?   Answer Question

Research Associate

Interview Details – Brandes posted the job on the university career website. I applied and was requested for an interview a few days later. The interview took place on campus about a week later. The interviewer was friendly and knowledgeable. He claimed to have worked for Brandes for about 14 years. I assume Brandes has a nice work environment if he stayed that long.

Interview Question – Went through my resume and asked me questions on my education and work experience. Then we talked about equities and value investing. Asked me how much I would pay for 1 dollar of Apple's earnings.   Answer Question

Worked for Brandes Investment Partners? Contribute to the Community!