Brandes Investment Partners Interview Questions

3.4

QA Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Several interviews with multiple team members

Interview Questions
    • None really. SQL and automation skills were emphasized   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2013.

They recruited on campus and I was selected for an on-campus interview. From there, if successful, they will fly you out to San Diego for a Superday.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Applied via career school website, got asked for in-person interview with senior member on campus, 30 minute interview, half behavioral, half technical questions (DCF Analysis)- need to know how to go into detail and give an example of a valuation, know the techniques, and the 3 financial statements

Interview Questions
    • Just need to know the details of the financial statements and valuation techniques such as DCF analysis   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in September 2013.

standard interview process, first round on Campus interview, applied through school online recruiting.
    Not hired

Corporate Action Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners.

Process was drawn out somewhat, but mostly due to department transition, with former manager moving to another internal group. I participated in a 1 on 1 interview to start, followed by a group interview and another 1 on 1 interview with the incoming manager.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation at all, only offer to review after 6 months, with opportunity for a raise.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2012.

The process starts out with a phone interview, where they ask you how you would deal with selling off a restaurant or a similar question to see how you would "value" the company you are selling.

If you pass this, they will then invite you to dinner to a fancy golf club restaurant. This I assume is to "get to know you" and see how you interact with other people. They'll ask you questions about what you like and the sort. It seemed disingenuous at times, but was still a nice gesture.

The following morning involves a series of group interviews, which is the last round of the interview process. This is where you are grilled two people at a time. At some point, you are also given a prompt and expected to write a one-page response. The question I got was whether or not Microsoft's decision to enter the tablet space was a good choice. There is also an accounting test where you have to fill in empty blanks of a statement.

Interview Questions
    • One of the guys gave me a "case interview" where I had to determine the selling price of a time machine. How would I come up with a figure for this and my thought process. Again, they are testing your ability to "value" a product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2011.

Began with in-person screening interview at my University. A few weeks later I was invited to the superday, which consisted of 6, 30 min interview sessions with either 1 or 2 analysts. Questions ranged from behavioral to technical, and a few brain teasers. There were not only financial questions, but economic questions to get a feel for candidates general knowledge and business acumen. There was also a skills assessment that tested accounting knowledge and a writing portion that was like a case study.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be an effect from Bank of America's $5 debit card fee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in September 2011.

Found Brandes through campus recruiting. I found them very prompt and polite through the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brandes Investment Partners in October 2010.

1 on campus interview
    1 all day on site interview consisting of 4 30 minute interviews with 2 employees each, 1 written test (it was a case question), and 1 economics test (included filling out some financial statement)

Interview Questions
    • P&G (owners of Crest I guess) want to open a Crest branded website to start selling toothpaste. Should they? (this was the 30 min. written test)   Answer Question
    • Say you have 5 minutes to decide on a company to invest and you have 5 questions to ask. What are they?   Answer Question
    • Between Safeway and Microsoft, which do you think has a higher price/earnings ratio? What about Safeway and Apple?   Answer Question
    • Is a PE ratio of 1/5 good?   Answer Question
    • Say someone invented a time machine that takes 10 minutes to transport one person (it can only transport one person at a time and costs $100 each way). How much would you price the trips at? How much would you buy this time machine off this person?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Brandes posted the job on the university career website. I applied and was requested for an interview a few days later. The interview took place on campus about a week later. The interviewer was friendly and knowledgeable. He claimed to have worked for Brandes for about 14 years. I assume Brandes has a nice work environment if he stayed that long.

Interview Questions
    • Went through my resume and asked me questions on my education and work experience. Then we talked about equities and value investing. Asked me how much I would pay for 1 dollar of Apple's earnings.   Answer Question