Breakthrough Collaborative

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.7

Teacher Interview

Application process is a bit tedious -- app, mock video, activity, interview -- but these steps are put in place to ensure that only people who really want it apply.

Phone interview was fun actually. She asked me about my interest in the program and then we talked about the scenarios.

I applied online – interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

Very easy, an application and a phone interview. You first apply online and the application takes some time to complete because you have to do a lot of essays. Then you get to preference your top 3 locations, which then your application gets sent to the places in order. I was able to land an interview from my top place, and then I had an interview with their manager. Super friendly, and I heard back about the offer in less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just be sure to be able to answer a lot of situational questions   Answer Question
    Super glad with my decision

Teaching Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

The application process occurs in two waves. There is an early action deadline and a regular decision deadline. I applied regular decision.

The initial application is the same for both, and consists of an online application that includes a resume/activity list, three essay responses, and a copy of your transcript. In the online application, you also list a reference who Breakthrough will contact for a recommendation. Because Breakthrough operates in many different locations across the country, you also list your top 3 preferences in terms of location.

After your online application is reviewed, you may be contacted for an interview. You are offered interviews based on the locations you listed in your preferences, so for example, if I listed Breakthrough Austin as my top choice, Austin would contact me directly for an interview. Because of location and distance, Breakthrough offers in-person interviews and video/phone interviews. For the in-person interview, you prepare a lesson plan that you will deliver in front of the interview group and you will participate in several group activities. For the video interview, you record yourself teaching your lesson to an audience of students as well as a leading a cheer. After your video has been submitted, you will be called for phone interview.

After the interview, your site will make a decision as to whether or not they would like to extend you an offer. If so, you can accept or deny, and that is the end of the process. If not, your application will be forwarded to your 2nd choice site and will be reviewed by their team. They may contact you for further clarifying questions regarding your application.

Interview Questions
    • How would engage in student-teacher relationships? How would you engage in relationships with your fellow teachers? How would respond to feedback if an instructional coach did not think one of your lessons was not well planned/delivered/etc.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

Very intense interview process. APPLY EARLY! I applied in December and nothing was finalized until late February.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a list of scenarios and you have to decide which one matters the least to you. Very tricky and you feel like there is no best answer.   Answer Question

Teaching Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

I made it past the initial application round and had to create and film myself doing a sample lesson and a sample cheer. I did an in-person interview with pretty standard questions, but I got tripped up on one of them. It was a fairly simple process -- I think the most important thing in the initial round is to be thorough and clear.

Interview Questions
    • If a student were performing during an assembly and began to do something inappropriate (racist, sexist, etc), how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Student Teacher Interview

In-person interview. Very laid-back.

Compensation too little for such long work hours.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative in January 2012.

Phone interview (asked about why I applied, why I'm interested in teaching, and behavioral questions about how I deal with time management and working on a team) plus a 5 minute teaching sample video

Summer Teaching Job Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative in March 2011.

Just character questions and what not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative in February 2011.

Application, phone interview with two directors and mentor teachers
    Be yourself! Unless you're not energetic, then be energetic

Interview Questions
    • If you had to sing a song in front of a group of children, what would you sing?   View Answer
    no negotiation

Breakthrough Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

Apply early! I applied and sent in my application at least 2 months before the application date. Overall, the Austin staff made the whole experience (interview, training, teaching) enjoyable. If you're willing to give of your self and time, apply. It's a rewarding position and even if you don't want to teach, you'll learn a lot.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult at all. Make a teaching presentation on a study habit   View Answer