Brennan Center for Justice Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

Democracy Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Brennan Center for Justice in December 2013.

About six weeks passed between my submitting an application and getting called for an interview. I met with three attorneys in the group, all at once, for less than an hour. The three-on-one setting can be a bit awkward, but all were very nice and professional. I probably asked as many questions as the interviewers did, and I was glad I had prepared for that.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected. The most difficult was something like, "What are your original ideas for trying to solve the problem we are tackling?"   Answer Question

Undergraduate Intern, Democracy Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brennan Center for Justice.

I applied online for the undergraduate intern position in the Democracy program. The hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview about a week after the deadline to submit applications passed. The phone interview was two days later, and it lasted about 25-30 minutes. The questions were pretty straightforward (general career goals, why do you want to work here, previous research experience, etc), and some were more in depth depending on what my answer was. I asked a couple of questions afterwards, and sent out a thank-you email about an hour after the interview.

The phone interview was on a Friday, and I followed up the Monday right after, and got a reply back a few hours later that I had been selected for a second and final in-person interview. The final interview was four days later, and involved a panel of 3 people (someone from HR, the hiring manager/intern supervisor I had the phone interview with, and another research associate from the program I'd applied to). Some of the questions were the same (e.g. career goals, previous experience, etc.), but others went more in depth about my specific experiences, administrative skills, and there was one about tech skills.

I fumbled one or two of the questions, in my opinion, but overall I got the impression that the interview went well, because they started asking about my schedule for the next semester (which is when the internship would start) and my availability. I asked a couple of questions afterwards, and before I left, they told me that they were considering me and two other candidates for the position, and gave me a very clear timeframe about when I would hear back. I made sure to shoot out another thank-you email a few hours after the final interview when I got home. I got a reply soon after and they offered me the position the same day.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Are you familiar with using the mail-merge feature on Excel to combine data with email addresses, etc from Word

2. You don't have a lot of experience working in an office environment, so how do you think you'll be able to adapt to working here?
        View Answer

Research Associate, Justice Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Brennan Center for Justice in April 2012.

I came into the office and met with 2 of the members of the Justice Program team. They immediately asked me, "Why do you want to work here?" and "Talk about your experience with criminal justice". All of the questions were very direct and when they explained the duties of the position, they made it clear that they didn't need anyone who would excel and go above and beyond, they just needed someone who was passionate about criminal justice, could handle administrative tasks, and had done research in the past.

Research Associate-Democracy Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Brennan Center for Justice.

Emails were sent to the candidates selected for interviews. The first interview was with a senior counsel and a counsel at the Brennan Center. Staff were willing to do a phone or skype interview, which was much appreciated because I could not afford to travel across the country for an on-location interview. Interviewers were quite frank about questions and expectations. The second interview was with a department head, an HR manager, and a senior counsel. They requested that I come in person, I told them it was not possible because of money and time, so they arranged a phone interview. Interviewers were nice but again very frank about questions and expectations.

Questions to expect:
    Explain your experience with public policy/lobbying/advocacy?
    Why are you passionate about working at the Brennan Center?
    Are you passionate about administrative tasks (answering phone calls and emails, filing reimbursements, receipts, etc.)?
    Can you name any Brennan Center reports, publications or blogs that were particularly interesting to you?

Interview Questions
    • If you have multiple tasks that are due for different attorney at the same time, and it is not at all possible to accomplish everything, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe your most important accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe your most memorable or life changing experience?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in working at the Brennan Center? Why are you passionate about advocacy?   Answer Question
    • How much do you know about how litigation works (amici, clients, blue booking, finding court documents, filing court documents, formatting court documents)?   View Answer

Got another job closer to home.

Communications Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Brennan Center for Justice in June 2011.

The interview itself was quick, about 15 minutes, but I had to wait over an hour after my scheduled interview time. The interview was not conducted by an HR professional, and the interviewer seemed to have little interviewing experience, as the questions were relatively straightforward, but overall, seemed unhelpful in distinguishing the best candidate (i.e. yes or no questions like, "are you flexible?", which anyone applying to the job would know to say yes to...
    Company culture seemed pleasant but somewhat stressful. Rejection email was surprisingly pleasant and personal. Overall, the experience was not overly negative or positive.

Interview Questions

Worked for Brennan Center for Justice? Contribute to the Community!